LAPD will design their own flashlight

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
What the hell's the difference between beating someone with a flashlight and beating them with a baton? They gonna take away their guns, knives and batons too because they can "inflict serious injuries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif?" There's something wrong if you're worried about a cop carrying a heavy flashlight because he/she may hit someone with it. It's a huge waste of money and makes absolutely no sense. What a freaking joke.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Take away their pens as well, a cop might stab it into someone's eyes or neck and cause serious injuries or even death. Use crayons. Or design their own pens.

Are these resulted from the very people they are protecting?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you who live in California, and especially those who live in LaLa land, I commiserate with the idiocy you must endure to live in the climate and economy of California.

While my wife and my mother are both from there, I am beginning to think that what my grandfather used to say is true, "It truly is the land of milk and honey, the problem is that they also have collected all the fruits and nuts!"

Bill

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

It's cool, tkl always has enlightening and constructive comments to add. If I were prone to generalizations as well as rising to certain baits, I might have a comment about the Lone Star State! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Was I talking to you? If you don't like what I have to say use the ignore function. Don't imply I'm baiting while doing the same.

My comment was directed at the mindless politics of a Liberal controlled state.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Yes, Texas is really hard to knock because the allow all the freedoms that Kalifornia limits, like guns, knives and now flashlights.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Since every recorded case of flashlight abuse involved an officer, and since you can never know which officer will be the next percussive persuader, and since you can't really blame the flashlights themselves for abuse, perhaps the best solution would be to keep the flashlights but remove all the officers. This would also help solve many of LA's financial problems.

On a serious note I wonder if this new ruling will make it impossible for officers to use Tigerlight OCs or even FBOPs.

Brightnorm

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuck it up all you want, but this is a growing trend and not just a California idea. As paulr said many large poilce departments are changing to polystingers.

There have been numerous threads here about enhancing a flashlights use as a weapon and the potential legal exposure of doing so. Well things just got worse for all you guys carrying 6 cell maglights as wannabe batons.

Next time you smack someone with flashlight, I can gaurentee it that it will be brought up in court the police department trend against flashlights as weapons. You will be specifically accused as using one as such and some lawyer will get up and say about how the famous LAPD has determined that they are dangerous to ban their officers from using them and switch to something else less "harmful" and YOU specifically selected your flashlight to cause great harm to his client.

You most likely will not be found guilty of "going armed" and use of a "deadly weapon" juries aren't that bad, yet. But the cost to sucessfully defend yourself in a civil or criminal (or both) action will finacially wipe you out in the process.

Laugh while you can, because there is a good probibly that you will NOT have the last laugh.

GregR

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
There are a number of torches currently available that seem to fill the bill. If they want to save the R&D all they need do is spend 10 hours on CPF.

Choices:
Whacked in the head or shot? I picked whacked.
Whacked in the head or tazed? Can't decide
Whacked in the head with a torch or a nightstick? Whatever

How many officers want to play hand to hand all-star wresting with a PCP suspect?

Perhaps the extra step to remove the baton from their belt will give the officer and the suspect time to reevaluate their next step. Or, maybe it will give the suspect time to get in the first punch. Only time will tell but as long as it leads to newer and better torches maybe some good can come from it.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
There are a number of torches currently available that seem to fill the bill. If they want to save the R&D all they need do is spend 10 hours on CPF.

Choices:
Whacked in the head or shot? I picked whacked.
Whacked in the head or tazed? Can't decide
Whacked in the head with a torch or a nightstick? Whatever

How many officers want to play hand to hand all-star wrestling with a PCP suspect?

Perhaps the extra step to remove the baton from their belt will give the officer and the suspect time to reevaluate their next step. Or, maybe it will give the suspect time to get in the first punch. Only time will tell but as long as it leads to newer and better torches maybe some good can come from it.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the late 60's, my father went to protect his business during the Chicago riots (1968?)

His concept was not to use a flashlight but a pump shotgun, pistol grips and a "18.1 inch" barrel. A few rioters came in, spotted a weapon obviously made for killing and quickly left. Really hard to miss with buckshot I guess.

It is really hard to sue you if they are dead.

Meanwhile, my 5 watt cyan retina burner is loaded with 5 D cells, if the blindness don't stop you... the batteries will. When the guy bends over blinded, a quick uppercut with a flashlight to the nads should slow him down. Just because the cops are helpless does not mean I have to be. Then again, I would not live in Cali or NY if you paid me.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[Off topic]

tkl, I have no idea who you were talking to but assumed you made a statement for all to read. I on other hand was talking to Atomic 6 and baiting you at the same time. THAT was wrong as baiting is against the forum rules. Since I really do believe in the power of self moderation, as a result I will now ban myself. Not sure what a reasonable time away would be but I'll work on it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif [/off topic]

*Retired*
I think in the interest of a kinder gentiler world, LAPD should also remove firearms from all the officers and out of the patrol cars, and get rid of the SWAT team.

Images come to mind of LAPD officers with pink powder puff pom-pons. 1-2-3 stop! In the name of love....

Makes about as much sense, imho. Maybe it is just a cover to justify side handle batons, and the associated costs, which can be alot more nasty when in the right hands. They are alot more useful if you are trained in their usage though. The sheer velocity you can achieve is amazing, with so little effort. Also useful in restraining a suspect.

Remember, Energy = mass * velocity ^ 2

Tombeis

Enlightened
[Off topic]

Hay tkl and McGizmo:

Were all human and we all enyoy a little baiting once in a while. No need to ban yourself. Forget it.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
and of course they don't/ "can't" mention the name-brand of the flashlight they are having to phase out........hmmmm???? wonder which company that would be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif hint: a company that will sue in a skinny minute.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd jump in with my 2 cents.
In Texas, security officers without baton certification can carry a big flashlight as a "deadly force" weapon.
A security officer with baton certification can carry it as a "non deadly force" weapon.
Security officers here only have the same powers of law enforcement as private citizens, not leo's.
Leo's have law enforcement powers.

Let them carry the big heavy flashlights.
At night, it's a real problem to discover a serious threat and deal with it with a flashlight and pull out a baton.
I have worked with other guards and even a few peace officers who used to live in southern Cal.

Some parts of Cal. are quite beautiful.
Other parts really do need well armed officers, who are allowed to do thier jobs without people who live thier lives in a bubble going,
"that's just too brutal"
Would these kinds of idiots feel better if the police used roadside rocks instead?
How in the world is taking away an officer's threat equalization going to keep hardcore gang members from taking time to laugh before kicking the crap out of officers.
There is also a decent maker of big, metal flashlights made in Cal.
The Ca. economy is bad enough without people shooting themselves in the foot and local industries there.
Ok, I'm done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i was just thinking...they're going about this all wrong.

they can still carry batans right?

why not just modify or get new batans with lights in the end!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
This is a bad political mistake, because it compromises officer safety for political correctness.