Malkoff MDC - The “Poor Man's Haiku” - Another Ideal EDC

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a while since I have owned or read up on MDC's. Great lights. One of the things I was not a fan of was the lack of oring in the head and the plastic lens in them. Have these design choices been updated or changed?

eala

nbp

Flashaholic
I have never been able to notice PWM on any of my lights so I'm not the one to comment. I must not be sensitive to it at all.

It has been a while since I have owned or read up on MDC's. Great lights. One of the things I was not a fan of was the lack of oring in the head and the plastic lens in them. Have these design choices been updated or changed?

eala

Not sure which o-rings you mean? I'm pretty sure it has o-rings in all the typical spots. As for the lens, I think Gene uses acryllic. There was a good thread on that a while back. I don't know what your uses generally are, but I think it has to be pretty aggressive to wear out the acryllic.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nbp is right. The head/body o-ring is located on the body, just like it is on all (as far as I know) e-series bodies with which the MDC head is compatible.

While the lens is still Acrylic, Gene now sells a tool to allow users to easily remove the bezel to replace the lens with a glass or Sapphire one.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for helping fact check me grizzman - I need it sometimes! ;)

Whoops! One less MDC in the Malkoff store as of tonight! Writing this paper made me need another one. :naughty:

nbp

Flashaholic
I got my second MDC in today. I love that Cathy writes a note on the packing slips, it's such a nice personal touch, and makes me all warm and fuzzy while I open up my Malkoff packages. :grouphug:

It is the same guts as the other one but HA-BK. I really like this Malkoff black ano - it seems thick, but is very smooth and even colored, and it is a bit more matte than glossy, which I personally like. I think this one has a bit more grip than the orange anodizing, just by way of its natural texture. Very impressed with the HA-BK - among the best I have seen.

(Sorry for the grainy pics, I will try to re-shoot them, I used my old iPhone instead of my iPad Air which has a better camera. :ohgeez:)

Ahhh, hybrids!

MDCs_zps023367c6.jpg

This is going to be my new workday EDC light, the HA-BK MDC head with a Ti McClicky Pak. All the great parts about the MDC with the advantages of a grippy body with a killer clip. Who doesn't like a hot body?

McMalkoff2_zps829f5325.jpg

And here's a little lego I had been playing with with the orange body - I think it looks great with the black. Black and Ti really go well together!! This is the MDC body with a McGizmo Mule head on it. For indoor uses it's perfect - It's super tiny, dives deep and disappears in my pocket when I have to be in dress pants - I love it!!

McMalkoff4_zps70a49cd0.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
Nice Mule. :) I have the same basic light, but with a black Aleph head. 119v 3 speed LE. Got it used with a single speed cool LE. I may need another MDC when Gene and Cathy get the neutrals back in stock. Had a couple early low/high/strobe but let them go... Good write-up.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks Greg. :) These MDC parts are great for legos. I'd love to see your Mule too. This one is running Don's 119 LE also. That's a great emitter for Mules anyways, and like I mentioned, for dressy applications, the smaller slimmer MDC body is a nice option for a super compact little light.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also a nice Ti Malkoff VME head with a M31L 219B drop in would go nice as well with that Haiku.

nbp

Flashaholic
Also a nice Ti Malkoff VME head with a M31L 219B drop in would go nice as well with that Haiku.

If the M31 was available with at least two modes, or three, I probably would hunt down a Ti VME head for it and put it on a McClicky Pak. :drool:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since the MDC first came out I have gone back and forth on whether I want to buy one. Reading this has almost pushed me to buy one. The problem I have is the voltage range. Right now I run my primary EDC (HDS 120E), secondary EDC (4Sevens QTLC), and my headlamp (Armytek Tiara C1) on 16340 li-ions because it's so much cheaper than burning through CR123s. But I like that they will all run on CR123s if needed as I like to keep some in my vehicle as backups and I prefer to use them on long trips when I'm away from power outlets. Also the MDC li-ion has no real low mode which for me is a deal breaker. And I know I could use LFP cells but they have less capacity and don't have over discharge protection, which would be annoying. I've also considered getting the AA model because I could run it on Eneloops day-to-day and keep some Energizer lithiums around as backups but of course the AA has different mode spacing, which to me is much less useful. And I'd like to keep all my EDC lights running on the same batts just for simplicity.

I really want to like the MDC, but none of them seem right for me.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Has anyone bored the MDC Cr123 body to take 18mm cells?
:)

I don't have these parts to confirm, but I think that it may be possible to use an MDC assembly (Li-Ion version) with a fivemega 18350 steel E-series tube ... :thinking:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
@ Random Dan

I agree with you - it would be nice if they could run both li-ion and primary. Hopefully that will be down the road. For now I just use the primary versions. CR123s are not so expensive online and I use high sparingly enough that it should last me awhile on each cell. Your usage may vary though, of course.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Random Dan

I agree with you - it would be nice if they could run both li-ion and primary. Hopefully that will be down the road. For now I just use the primary versions. CR123s are not so expensive online and I use high sparingly enough that it should last me awhile on each cell. Your usage may vary though, of course.
The more I think about it, the more I think I might just go AA. Then I could run rechargeable, primary lithium, or alkaleak if I needed to. At first the modes on the AA model seemed poorly thought out to me, but now that I think about it it's similar to my SF E1B, just with the addition of a moonlight mode. Still prefer it started in high, as that's my most used mode, but I guess you can't win them all.

Latest posts