New flashlight of LiteFlux -- LF2

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarveyRich said:
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the complexity of the UI here. My only "problem" with what I've seen about this light is the UI complexity. One of the big issues in consumer electronics is making the UI of any piece of electronics user friendly. That's why some people never use the more advanced features of cell phones or can't program their DVD players.

This UI might be OK for the most hard-core users, but to the rest of the world it will be way too complicated. Can you imagine putting it down for a month and then having to read the manual just to get back into play with it?

Complicated UI? Turn the tail cap until it turns on default low, continue to turn until it moves to default high. Turn the opposite way until it stops to turn off. No problem.

Turn it on a month later and it acts the same way. The amout of complexity of the light is left up to the user. Now, if you don't like the light levels, things get more complicated--get out the book and program the light levels you prefer and enjoy the simple UI after programming.

All the extra goodies don't have to be used if you never use them. I am going to get the LF2 because of the programmability of light levels and really like the simple twist on and rotate to choose levels. No twisting on and off to change the levels. I'll keep a card in my wallet that informs me of the UI twists required to check the battery voltage since a keychain light gets variable levels of use.

I have been using a Fire~FlyIII for a year and it has a multiple twist program function to set the levels. I have not memorized how to do it (8 twists?) or how to change to different UI's. The only problem with the light is the body has to be loose to turn off so it can turn on in my pocket on occasion. If I get twist happy I can erase my programmed levels :mad: so I get the book out.

The LF2 solves those problems and adds battery voltage indication. I can give the LF2 as a gift to my mom and leave the programming out of it and she would love the default levels. I think the default levels are alkaline friendly with the max programmable levels for NiMH cells. If you use NiMH in a keychain light, this is usually an indicator that you are either cheap (frugal) environmental conscience or a flashaholic.

As far as the $55 price goes, I find it funny that the cost would be a problem. The Fenix is cheaper but the LF2 has a better finish, has programmable levels, an easier twist to select levels instead of on/off/on twisting and--if you like--a lot of other things to play with. The SSC version is 4mm shorter than the Cree so the LF2 will only be 3mm longer than the LOD CE.

Just because a light can have a multitude of options does not mean you have to use them.

aceo07

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
Complicated UI? Turn the tail cap until it turns on default low, continue to turn until it moves to default high. Turn the opposite way until it stops to turn off. No problem.

Turn it on a month later and it acts the same way. The amout of complexity of the light is left up to the user. Now, if you don't like the light levels, things get more complicated--get out the book and program the light levels you prefer and enjoy the simple UI after programming.

All the extra goodies don't have to be used if you never use them. I am going to get the LF2 because of the programmability of light levels and really like the simple twist on and rotate to choose levels. No twisting on and off to change the levels. I'll keep a card in my wallet that informs me of the UI twists required to check the battery voltage since a keychain light gets variable levels of use.

I have been using a Fire~FlyIII for a year and it has a multiple twist program function to set the levels. I have not memorized how to do it (8 twists?) or how to change to different UI's. The only problem with the light is the body has to be loose to turn off so it can turn on in my pocket on occasion. If I get twist happy I can erase my programmed levels :mad: so I get the book out.

The LF2 solves those problems and adds battery voltage indication. I can give the LF2 as a gift to my mom and leave the programming out of it and she would love the default levels. I think the default levels are alkaline friendly with the max programmable levels for NiMH cells. If you use NiMH in a keychain light, this is usually an indicator that you are either cheap (frugal) environmental conscience or a flashaholic.

As far as the $55 price goes, I find it funny that the cost would be a problem. The Fenix is cheaper but the LF2 has a better finish, has programmable levels, an easier twist to select levels instead of on/off/on twisting and--if you like--a lot of other things to play with. The SSC version is 4mm shorter than the Cree so the LF2 will only be 3mm longer than the LOD CE.

Just because a light can have a multitude of options does not mean you have to use them.

You make some good points. People can learn or not use it. I only set up my HDS U60 a few times and it's been great ever since. I definitely understand that you don't need to memorize the more advanced features/settings.

I want to see how well the switching will work. Will the connections wear out?

Another concern is that most new flashlights out now all have a UI. I have yet to find a new AAA flashlight for under $45. I don't want them to keep thinking that can plop in extra features and raise the price for it.

I don't hate them for making a profit, but I don't get it to be a trend that I can't get a decent new flashlight for a decent price. $30 I would definitely get, $40 makes me think, $50 better prove itself worthy.

Last edited:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by BentheadTX:Complicated UI? Turn the tail cap until it turns on default low, continue to turn until it moves to default high. Turn the opposite way until it stops to turn off. No problem.

Well, OK if it really is that simple in default. That's actually what I said at the end of my piece. It wasn't easy to tell from the two videos in this thread that I watched or from the long post #55 from Netkidz, which required quite a bit of concentration and would have been better with the flashlight in one's hands. I hope you're right; in which case I might even consider purchasing one. :)

Calina

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:

Call me cheap if you want but Fenix's lights are also too expensive.

I don't blame them for milking the market. As long as they are doing brisk business at these price levels they will maintain (if not raise) them.

aceo07 said:
I don't hate them for making a profit, but I don't get it to be a trend that I can't get a decent new flashlight for a decent price. $30 I would definitely get, $40 makes me think, $50 better prove itself worthy.

C'mon guys (and gails)! These are flashlights. The electronics in there is quite simple compared to a lot of other products. For $30 you can get a 5" B&W TV set or a CD player or all sort of tools and toys much more complex than a light. For a few more dollars, you even get a whole micro-wave oven... So at 30$ they would still make a very decent profit. But hey, they would be fools not to sell for more if they can. The only thing is, I won't fall for it.

Can I live without the last light that came out at an exhorbitant price? Of course I can! And I guess, I will! At least for as long as they keep these prices up. Do the same and you will see those prices go down very quickly.
I'll admit though that if the profits aren't so juicy any more the pace of innovation will suffer a bit.

I know I am going to get blasted for this one!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now all we need is some news about an AA-version!:)

Can't believe they skipped that train.
A 2AA Cree with their turbohead just reeks of awesome!

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
Calina said:
Call me cheap if you want but Fenix's lights are also too expensive.

I don't blame them for milking the market. As long as they are doing brisk business at these price levels they will maintain (if not raise) them.

C'mon guys (and gails)! These are flashlights. The electronics in there is quite simple compared to a lot of other products. For $30 you can get a 5" B&W TV set or a CD player or all sort of tools and toys much more complex than a light. For a few more dollars, you even get a whole micro-wave oven... So at 30$ they would still make a very decent profit. But hey, they would be fools not to sell for more if they can. The only thing is, I won't fall for it.

I don't doubt the mark up is high. I have just gotten used to certain prices and understand that it probably won't drop below a certain price. My biggest complaint is the battery tube mark up (for mass produced ones).

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
Re: New flashlight of LiteFlux -- LF2 -READY TO SHIP!!!

I saw that there was a price and the link worked to add the LF2 to the shopping cart, so I contacted Lin Sheng-Cheng at LiteFlux Co. and he informs me that the lights are ready to ship!!!

I questioned the PWM issue and although he says his english is poor, I think he gets his point across. The explanation of PWM also gives us the reason that they are a little more expensive, using a better way to implement PWM in a way and frequency that is NOT noticable even at low levels.
He sent me the following information:

"The PWM control method by MCU can be separated into hardware and software simulate .

The hardware PWM module can use the same clock of MCU , it's in very high frequency say 8M Hz or more and the frequency of PWM will be thousands Hz normally . MCU didn't need to calculate the period of PWM , it will be done by the hardware circuite automatically .

The solfware simulate PWM method is the cheapest , don't need a high end of MCU and external components . But MCU must to calculate the period of PWM and the other actions response . For this reason the frequency of PWM cannot be high , it 's about 100Hz or less normally .

The MCU of LF2 has hardware PWM module , AD converter and EEPROM . It's the high end one in such a samall size .

Some kinds of flashlights use MCU to simulate PWM by software , they works well when the intensity is high , but they flash when the intensity is in low level . The reason is very simple and clear -- the frequency of PWM is not high enough . " (end quote)

Sounds like that deep UI may be worth it to avoid seeing flicker, whether it bothers you or not!!! I like the ability to get a really low LOW!!!!!!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

MikieHead said:
The MCU of LF2 has hardware PWM module , AD converter and EEPROM . It's the high end one in such a small size .

Some kinds of flashlights use MCU to simulate PWM by software , they works well when the intensity is high , but they flash when the intensity is in low level . The reason is very simple and clear -- the frequency of PWM is not high enough . " (end quote)

Sounds like that deep UI may be worth it to avoid seeing flicker, whether it bothers you or not!!! I like the ability to get a really low LOW!!!!!!

I really hate flickering lights so the LF2 is very interesting to me. Now we can get a "low low" and use it for reading without a headache from flicker. The flicker in the low modes of the L0D CE and not a true "low low" kept me away from that light.

Any idea when the SSC version will be available? I need to see how well they compare against each other.

Knighthood

Newly Enlightened
For $55, I am going to wait for a review. Plus I dont like black color anyway. I like natural color and that is the only thing keeping me from buying the Fenix cree lights. I have a PWM light and I never want to buy another one again. My eyes is too sensitive. Just turn on the tap water slow and see it in action or look at your computer fan. It is interesting to see it in action for sure !!

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened

Knighthood said:
For $55, I am going to wait for a review. Plus I dont like black color anyway. I like natural color and that is the only thing keeping me from buying the Fenix cree lights. I have a PWM light and I never want to buy another one again. My eyes is too sensitive. Just turn on the tap water slow and see it in action or look at your computer fan. It is interesting to see it in action for sure !!

Well I think you may be suprised. I will let you know when I get mine. The frequency will be SO MUCH higher, it is doubtful you would be seeing the flicker. LF2 will be at THOUSANDS of Hz instead of hundreds of Hz on other lights!!

Probably not even if you turned the level down to 5%!! LOL!!!!

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
LiteFlux -AAA LF2 Programable UI - NOW Shipping

I just ordered MINE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how long shipping takes from Taiwan to the US?????

Good thing its a short walk to my mail box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Let me get this straight. In order to get a very low level in a PWM light the frequency would have to be very low also, which might be quite noticeable. The LF2 maintains a high frequency, yet is still able to be set to a very low level. So, is it also reducing the voltage or current at the same time? Is there a system in this light that is unique and somehow better than a simple current reduction circuit? My odd little Shorelite Vx1 has four levels and does not use PWM, but it does have a sizeable circuit board. Is the LF2 achieving the same in the least possible space?

Geoff

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
WIth PWM the frequency is how many times per second it turns on and then off. The brightness under PWM can be changed by adjusting how long it is on per cycle.
PWM isn't necessarilly ON for exactly half a cycle and then OFF for exactly half a cycle. Of the light is on for 75% of a cycle and off for 25% it will be brighter than what would be produced in a 50/50... etc, etc.

adnj

Enlightened
PWM changes the "width of the forward voltage pulse." or the duration that votage is switched to the "on" position. The the frequency of the circuit stays relatively constant for a lighting circuit. Lower frquencies are easy to achieve. Higher frequencies usually require a digital circuit (the LF2 has one).

Voltage is proportional to current so they vary at the same time.

Nice pics here

Flying Turtle said:
Let me get this straight. In order to get a very low level in a PWM light the frequency would have to be very low also, which might be quite noticeable. The LF2 maintains a high frequency, yet is still able to be set to a very low level. So, is it also reducing the voltage or current at the same time? Is there a system in this light that is unique and somehow better than a simple current reduction circuit? My odd little Shorelite Vx1 has four levels and does not use PWM, but it does have a sizeable circuit board. Is the LF2 achieving the same in the least possible space?

Geoff

Last edited:

NetKidz

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:

Geoff

The PWM frequency is 7.8K Hz said by the manufacturer. I couldn't feel flickering even in the lowest 0.2% output.

I didn't open mine and couldn't open it with the production units. The space is about 11mm dia and 6mm height, they put 3 PCBs of 1x DFN MCU, 3x SOT23-6, 1x SOT23, 1x inductor, 2x diode, 6x capacitor, 6x resister and 8 pins. Whoa, lots of components! Seems hard to manufacture and maybe that's the reason for the higher price. :)

LED Cool

Enlightened
ditto what NetKidz said. that is also what LiteFlux told me. it is not easy to put all those component into the LF2's very limited space.

i am still waiting for LiteFlux to sort out every possible issues that users in taiwan have experienced before i post the LF2 in the dealer's section.

hopefully by the end of this week.

khoo

NetKidz

Enlightened
Just took a photo and should demonstrate the frequency difference. They all run on one NiMH. Top is LF2 (0.2%), middle is JETBeam C-LE (low) and bottom is JETBeam JET-I MK.II X (5%)

LF2-CLE-MK2X-PWM.jpg

The LF2 draws like a line. :)