New Jetbeam M2S with SST-50 LED [+ Pics heavy]

Patriot

Flashaholic

In studying these the two beams, the M2S doesn't seem like it will throw any better than the M1X. That said, it's obviously still a good thrower and puts more lumens downrange.

Bugoutgear
For those that asked...

Here is some info on M2S' High Mode Protection:

The SST-50 LED emits a large amount of heat at this setting. This heat may reduce the lifespan of the LED, so after 3 continuous minutes in Max Brightness Mode, the M2S' built-in temperature protection circuit will automatically activate and enter protection mode, which will reduce the output to approx. 480 lumens (Mid Mode). If the user wants to resume Max Brightness Mode they can turn off the M2S and turn back on again, the light will resume Max output.

I have no problem with the logical thermal management of a light such as this. In fact, I think it's neat that we are able to boost a light temporarily above it's sustained output capability. The problem with the M2S is that its thermal management is not logically or intelligently controlled. Instead it's more like and "idiot light" on a dashboard that does little to preserve the integrity of the component. In other words, an operator in theory could just keep turning the light off and back on every 3 minutes and still exceed the thermal boundaries of the LED. Likewise there is absolutely no reason for a light like the M2S to step down when the user is operating it in arctic conditions or even a 15F day in Flagstaff AZ for that matter. I would be far more interested in a light with active thermal management, even if it cost a little bit more. The Wiseled Tactical for example uses active thermal management and only steps down when thermal conditions dictate that it should. That way users in cold climates can take full advantage of what the SST-50 as to offer. Also, users in warmer climates wouldn't be shut down unnecessarily or annoyingly early either since it wouldn't step down until needed. This seemingly randomly chosen 3 minute is a very low tech and generic way to address the thermal issue, which really seems to be out of place on a $200+ light.

I could probably be convinced otherwise if I was to see M2S heatsink temperature readings at 3 minutes vs. the continuous runtime temperatures of the M1X's heatsink on sustained high. Somehow I doubt that the SST-50 is generating the same temperatures at 3 minutes that other Jetbeams are allowed to run continuously at and thus I feel that the M2S has been needlessly handicapped in Jetbeam's addressing of this issue.

As a long time JB fan it labors me to point out that it would be nice if they had thought this through a single time rather than to eventually have a M2S version 1.4 like we went through with the M1X. I for one would like to see active thermal monitoring. Is this type of a circuit really so difficult or expensive to incorporate into a light such as this? I'll probably have to pass on this purchase if the 3 minute "idiot light" circuitry is to be the final rendition of this model. In speaking to other less knowledgeable flashlight fans at work, all are very underwhelmed with the 3 minute high as well.

Btw, my complaints are aimed at JB, not Flavio, who has been a very respected and helpful retailer and CPFer.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was looking for some info and found a Live Fire Test Video made by LighJunction showing the M1X and others Jetbeams. In the video, just like the name implies, the torchs are tested on a real fire test mounted on weapons including a Mossberg 12 gauge pump :cool:. The video explains a lot and after this there's no doubt on the effectiveness of this type of contact, so there remains only the problems of using AW2600mah!

Good to see this nice performance of jetbeams on weapons! I'm seriously considering some of these models showed in the video! :thumbsup:

Regards
Dioni

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the M2S is that its thermal management is not logically or intelligently controlled. Instead it's more like and "idiot light" on a dashboard that does little to preserve the integrity of the component. In other words, an operator in theory could just keep turning the light off and back on every 3 minutes and still exceed the thermal boundaries of the LED. Likewise there is absolutely no reason for a light like the M2S to step down when the user is operating it in arctic conditions or even a 15F day in Flagstaff AZ for that matter. I would be far more interested in a light with active thermal management, even if it cost a little bit more.

Btw, my complaints are aimed at JB, not Flavio, who has been a very respected and helpful retailer and CPFer.

100% agreed. I've nothing to add!

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
My Catapult has similar output and seems comfortable running at longer periods of time. I'm surprised at Jetbeam, I own two of their models, and am very pleased with their products.

But, if ThruNite can push the SST-50 for 900 lumens, and an honest 750 O.T.F. without an abbreviated time period of three minutes, why can't Jetbeam match that?

Bushman5

Enlightened
I'm really not impressed at all with the M2S...........

my M1X will run at 700 lumens with TWO 18650s for many hours. why would i spend the money on the M2s for a lousy 3 minutes of 700 lumens?

am i missing something here? is there something the M2S does better than the M1x????

:sick2::shrug::shrug::thumbsdow

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes... the M1X has 700 EMITTER lumens the M2S has 1000 EMITTER LUMENS.

However you are correct saying why spend the extra $$$ for 3mins and then after that the M2S is actually dimmer than the M1X?? Thats why I changed my order with BugOutGear USA, I changed the order for the M2S for the M1X... no regrets!

I'm really not impressed at all with the M2S...........

my M1X will run at 700 lumens with TWO 18650s for many hours. why would i spend the money on the M2s for a lousy 3 minutes of 700 lumens?

am i missing something here? is there something the M2S does better than the M1x????

:sick2::shrug::shrug::thumbsdow

jtrucktools34

Newly Enlightened
I just can't pull the trigger on this one. :mecry:

I actually had it in a cart three or four times but just couldn't justify it. I have purchased a lot of lights because of the WOW factor when I didn't need them but I just find this light lacking. I own a Catapult and an M1X and see enough differences in them to own both, but the M2S....

As Patriot has pointed out, the three minute step down was the killer! :poof:

Just my 2c.

Absolutely 100% agree!! :twothumbs

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Jetbeam did it. They revised the manual to cover their screw-up (or poor design) of the UI. So....you must turn the light on in MAX mode or the daily use mode will cycle to the next mode up from the one you last used. No more Jetbeams for me. This is insane. I should send them a beat up Fenix PD10 so they can see how a Twist Bezel UI works.

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Well Jetbeam did it. They revised the manual to cover their screw-up (or poor design) of the UI. So....you must turn the light on in MAX mode or the daily use mode will cycle to the next mode up from the one you last used.

Wow...that's just goofy :huh:

gsxer

Newly Enlightened
I sure hope they don't screw up the Raptor 3 thats the light I am waiting on.

ShOgUn_LI

Newly Enlightened
1. The jetbeam pressure switch doesn't fit on the M2S cause the thread is different

2. Doesn't work with 2500mAh AWs and IMR cells need spacers cause they are too short

Anyone done any mods to it yet and taken this thing apart?

stel

Newly Enlightened
hi
I plan to buy JetBee m2s old model, so I'm interested in whether the endorsement of goods or deteriorate lamp

Latest posts