Pelican HA3 vs streamlight 2L

not2bright

Enlightened
Cheapo,

Not sure if you have seen a DB-3W in a 3D Mag.

The total output and throw between my PM6 HA 3W and the DB-3W are almost identical (with fresh alks in the Mag and focused as tightly as possible). The beam on the M6 is smoother (none of the artifacts that the Mag has) and it a better tint. They have very similar spill (Mag still focused tight). The DS-3W is a great tint, but the M6 is better. I am guessing the M6 is a YA/WA.

The shocking thing is to see as much, or more light coming out of the tiny M6 3W next to the large and heavy 3D Mag with DB-3W. Of course for $33 the DB-3W is a great purchase.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does it throw against the modded mag and by how much? well, if anybody has the m6 led and the m6 3w... a beamshot comparing them would be appreciated.

-David

not2bright

Enlightened
Picard,

Not sure but I wouldn't try those rechargeables you've got. It is regulated and could get toasted.

cheapo,

tap, tap, tap... is this on??... tap, tap, tap...

It is the same or 5% greater output as a 3W direct drive (resistor) in a 3D cell Mag on the tightest focus with new D cells. Same beam pattern (hot spot and spill) but smoother, and arguably better tint (depending on Lux Lottery). Given the price, compared to other small HA lights you won't be dissapointed.

Got both M6 lights but have no idea what settings to use on the camera to get and accurate comparison. The beams (hot spot and spill) are the same, just the tint and brightness.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright said:
Picard,

Not sure but I wouldn't try those rechargeables you've got. It is regulated and could get toasted.

cheapo,

tap, tap, tap... is this on??... tap, tap, tap...

It is the same or 5% greater output as a 3W direct drive (resistor) in a 3D cell Mag on the tightest focus with new D cells. Same beam pattern (hot spot and spill) but smoother, and arguably better tint (depending on Lux Lottery). Given the price, compared to other small HA lights you won't be dissapointed.

Got both M6 lights but have no idea what settings to use on the camera to get and accurate comparison. The beams (hot spot and spill) are the same, just the tint and brightness.

Where can I get the spec for PM6 3Watt ? How do you know it is regulated ?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buried somewhere down below, in the original thread that started the creation of the PM6 3W, the specs said it was regulated. I can't seem to get the search engine working for me so you might have a better chance at finding the information. I made a personal run time chart on the PM6 3W converter and it is very well regulated.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue said:
Buried somewhere down below, in the original thread that started the creation of the PM6 3W, the specs said it was regulated. I can't seem to get the search engine working for me so you might have a better chance at finding the information. I made a personal run time chart on the PM6 3W converter and it is very well regulated.

how well regulated? Do you think the 61 lumen measurement is correct? Oh yeah... can we please see the runtime chart?

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the run time chart. Mind you that these are the worst rechargeable batteries to use in the light, the 3.0V JSBurly cells. The cells do not have a large mA capacity. Don't use this chart for a run time. I used 2x3.0V JSB batteries to do a quick test to see how well the PM6 3W did in regulating the light. The run time, while short, showed me in a condensed time how well the PM6 3W converter worked. You can see the light has consistent beam output from beginning to end.

pelicanhagraphjsb30v9jr.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I hope those are terrible bats because that is very short runtime. How long would it last with regular 123s you think?

-David

Last edited:

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Cheapo,
I'd say mine lasted around 2 hours before it dropped out of regulation, maybe a little longer. It was still pretty bright when it came out of regulation. John

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title of this thread should read Pelican HA3 instead of Pelican HA3 vs streamlight 2L. I could not find one post that had anything to say about the 2L pro or con so how is one to compare? (Shrugs)

Just my two cents (grin)

Dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
Does the pm6 3W from batterystation come with a Pelican case?

-David

None of mine did. All came in a cardboard box with no markings on it.

Mine start off slightly brighter than the 1w version (about 25% more to my eyes).

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
how well regulated? Do you think the 61 lumen measurement is correct? Oh yeah... can we please see the runtime chart?

-David

Based on the rated lumen output, I expect partial regulation (in order to increase runtime). A 60+ lumen light with constant (full) regulation will not run long on two 123 cells my opinion says.

My samples are going 1.25-1.5 hours on Battery Station batteries before I see noticable drop off. Haven't tried brand name batteries yet. They still outputtting a lot after dropping off though, sothey not dying to dim very quickly like a fully regulated light does--so far at least.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dukester said:
The title of this thread should read Pelican HA3 instead of Pelican HA3 vs streamlight 2L. I could not find one post that had anything to say about the 2L pro or con so how is one to compare? (Shrugs)

Just my two cents (grin)

Dave

read the origional post... first page, first post.. but since we have past that question, I'll change the title.

-David

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue said:
Here is the run time chart. Mind you that these are the worst rechargeable batteries to use in the light, the 3.0V JSBurly cells. The cells do not have a large mA capacity. Don't use this chart for a run time. I used 2x3.0V JSB batteries to do a quick test to see how well the PM6 3W did in regulating the light. The run time, while short, showed me in a condensed time how well the PM6 3W converter worked. You can see the light has consistent beam output from beginning to end.

pelicanhagraphjsb30v9jr.gif

hey trueblue,
Does this mean I can't use JS cr123 3.2volt protected batteries???? Are they too much or insufficient for PM6 HA3?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JSB 3.0V RCR123A batteries do not have the capacity to give out light for a great amount of time. IMO, you'd be better off using primary CR123A or a rechargeable 17650 battery for the Pelican.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue said:
The JSB 3.0V RCR123A batteries do not have the capacity to give out light for a great amount of time. IMO, you'd be better off using primary CR123A or a rechargeable 17650 battery for the Pelican.

what the heck is peilican 17650 battery? sorry, I am ignorant about such acronyms. I thought JS new battery is suppose to match the 3.0V of regular CR123 battery. I am confused. :huh2: I used it on Gladius just fine.

Latest posts