Pistol target shooting, hearing protection?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreenLed, do you find the SF plugs adequate for range use by themselves?

Over 10 hours combined with constant handgun and M16/M4 firing.

Every sound came through at the same level and I never had a head ache or anything caused from ear plug pressure or loud noises.

Plus, I kept them in all day, no handling plugs or muffs.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just a not-so-quick revisit about the notion of having some tactical advantage, if you've been previously exposed to muzzle blast as a shooter, without hearing protection.

I have to remind myself that many people have never heard a gunshot while without ear protection, so this whole topic might be a bit mysterious for some. It's funny to me that during the times I've introduced new people to shooting, they sometimes want to take their protection off to hear a shot, as a bystander. It seems they simply want to experience the sound once because they're inquisitive. They wonder about things like the level of sound, how much the air muffs/plugs really do, etc, etc. I tell them that's fine but make them stand back a safe distance appropriate to the gun being fired. Needless to say the new shooters are mightily impressed and surprised at the volume of the sound and quickly, with wide eyes, put their muffs back on! Initially I always get a kick and a chuckle from this because it reminds me of the things I take for granted as a very experienced shooter. I was so young the last time that I consciously wondered about such a thing that it's difficult for me to remember what that was like.

Since that time I've experience so many unprotected shots as a shooter while hunting, as a bystander from tens of yards away, and to 3 really bad accidental discharges in enclosed spaces. None were mine by the way, but I was unfortunately exposed to the sound. Now when I hunt with a firearm I always try my best to either wear hearing protection, as in hunting foul, or put on hearing protection before a single shot, as in large game hunting. I guess you could say I "wised up" to the idea of hunting with ear protection but it wasn't a hot topic for hunters 25 year ago. Today we know better.

Since I've experienced unprotected shots either through ignorance or accident I can say definitively that there is no reason as a shooter to intentionally expose yourself to the blast, unless of course it occurs during the actual act of self defense. When you're the shooter and expecting the sonic impulse of the gun upon firing, it's rather easy to deal with mentally. This is what I'd refer to as to hunter's shot. Since you're doing the shooting, it's loud but comes as no surprise. Likewise is the case if others around you who are also shooting but you're expecting it, as in the case of foul hunting where you'd be separated by 15-50 yards. When it comes to the issue of "tactical advantage" it has much more to do with the expectation of the shot than the sound itself. During an actual event, the sound goes pretty much unnoticed and that's even the case for the hunter. It does nothing to effect them at the time of the shot but perhaps after all the excitement is over they might notice some ringing in their ears or temporary deafness depending on the caliber and environment around them.

The unprotected shot only ranges from shocking to petrifying when you're not expecting it, which is made exponentially worse if your in an enclosed space and it was presupposed there would be no shot. Those are terrible and it wouldn't matter how many times you tried to build up a tolerance for something like that it would help any. I was once in a 8 x 8 foot tile bathroom when a officers length .45 was discharged and I lost most of my fine hearing for a good 12 hours. Undoubtedly some long term damage was done. If you were exposed to that every day, you'd never get used to it but would go deaf in short time.

In any case, if a new shooter is simply inquisitive about the sonic blast of certain guns then let someone else who is protected, fire it while outdoors, while you stand back, directly behind them a good 7 yards and double the distance with centerfire rifles. It's still not good for the ears but it will let you satisfy your questions with minimal harm. Another way would be to visit a local trap and skeet club. You can experience a lot of unprotected shots while standing back 25 or 30 yards. If it gets uncomfortable, move further away or put on your protection.

Not sure if that helps anyone but I hate to leave my unmentioned thoughts hanging.

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stand near the end of a short barrel M4 without a good flash suppressor or suppressor and your going to want more than ear plugs.

Even better when the same gun in firing from a stack right behind you :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Stand near the end of a short barrel M4 without a good flash suppressor or suppressor and your going to want more than ear plugs.

I've only found that comps and flash suppressors increase perceived blast to the sides and rear. Once while firing a 16" carbine with JP muzzle break, through a barricade, it shattered a piece of 1x2 wood framing which went flying though the air ... lol. It freaked out the R.O. so bad that not realizing at first what happened he stopped the stage. After reviewing, I was allowed to re-shoot the stage.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ears ring like crazy but I can't imagine attributing the ringing to only gunshots. There are tons of loud things around and this good thread is making me think about training my kids better than I have about ear protection. I don't remember ever, ever seeing anyone wear ear protection at my camp or skeet ranges when I was a kid, but there are just so many other things too.

For me the worst might have been a Peter Frampton comeback tour concert I went to way back in ~ '79. His output was obviously sized more for a football stadium but the concert was in a tiny gymnasium. I definitely remember my ears rang for 2 days after that one.

There was also the innocent-seeming freshman dance in the school lunch hall area where the music blasting from the Bose 901's got so loud that my ears only heard a whoosh sound, like a jet engine. That was a new experience for me. I remember wondering about it for a very long time.

I was also a drummer.
I had a go-kart and my head was right next to the engine's crummy 2" muffler.
I played with cap guns. I bet I blasted more than a few right next to my ears.

Gunshots are definitely in the category of dangerously loud, but many things in life are.

I'm not going to let my 10 yr old mow the lawn any more without wearing some level of ear protection, and I'll suffer the "aw, Dad!" reaction as he watches the neighbors mow without anything. The kids should learn early.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

At our range we have benches set up where guys can shoot prone or offhand between benches. One day, a guy was between the benches right next to me shooting his semi-auto, braked .308. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. What made it worse was that he was shooting prone, so my position was closer to the muzzle than I would have liked. That was LOUD even with plugs and muffs.

Thanks for sharing your experirenes with the SF plugs.

greenLED

Flashaholic
GreenLed, do you find the SF plugs adequate for range use by themselves?
Sorry, BigHonu, but I haven't used the EP3's on their own while at the range. I'm hoping to do that in the next month or so.

Given Search's experience, I'd say they're adequate, at least on an open range. Indoor ranges are a different story, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
At our range we have benches set up where guys can shoot prone or offhand between benches. One day, a guy was between the benches right next to me shooting his semi-auto, braked .308. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. What made it worse was that he was shooting prone, so my position was closer to the muzzle than I would have liked. That was LOUD even with plugs and muffs.

Thanks for sharing your experirenes with the SF plugs.

A muzzle brake will damage your ears even with plugs and muffs on.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

SBR .223 = poor man's flashbang. The pressure released by the bullet leaving the barrel is immense.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of an oddball question but when my partner is shooting, from an acoustic standpoint, is it better to stand beside him or behind him?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been to an indoor range as I have a free outdoor range owned by the department.

Another Reserve works at the local range and when he instructs hand gun classes and works in the actual firing area he uses his EP3s.

Matter of fact, I think they all use them.