Sci-Fi channel's: Battlestar Galactica

• Thread starter Cosmic Superchunk
  • Start date

highlandsun

Enlightened
Re: Sci-Fi channel\'s: Battlestar Galactica

Wow, they have UFO too, I was like 3 when I saw that, vaguely remember the cool futuristic cars and such. I can always order thru my Amazon Affiliate link, and get 5% back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can understand the need to do some updating; any show you look at from the 70s is so obviously dated, even when it's futuristic sci-fi. But getting rid of that Egyptian/Greek theme really loses the notion of Earth having an ancient connection to these people. Too bad.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

I was very excited by this project early on. Now as I find out more details, my enthusiasm is cooling a little. The underlining themes of ancient Earth culture incorporated into the show just added intrique into the continuing story. It made you wonder if a fleet of refugees could arrive in orbit and be the explanation of ancient riddles. I can accept some tinkering of the characters to reflect more current values (such as females being more prominent as warriors, and more diversity of models among the Cylons), but a lot of the premise is being molded into somebody else's vision. I guess it just needs to be judged on it's own merit and not compared at all to the original series. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Then, if they don't do it right, The front door of the Sci-Fi channel's office will look like this the day after airing: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Canuke

Enlightened

Since when does Science Fiction, have to be more realistic in terms of stone age Earth Science???!!!

Never mind that, why does all modern science fiction have to be more realistic in terms of stone age Earth philosophy?

I mean, I can enjoy the Matrix and Terminator as much as the next guy, but I am getting sick and tired of the Pandora's Box metaphor. This is the one that primitive theocrats use to keep men shivering in the dark, unthinking, afraid of everything. "Don't mess with the unknown! Don't risk angering unknown and unknowable powers! Don't enquire, don't experiment, don't think!" If there is any basic theme that has no place in proper *science* fiction, this is it. It's easy to spot: just look for its usual fig leaf in movie reviews: "cautionary tale".

The Enlightenment put an end to that crap (for a time), but you wouldn't know it from the ubiquitous "look what we've done to ourselves" mantra in modern sci-fi. Machines in T3 and Matrix, genetic engineering in Hulk and Mimic and countless others -- and NOW they are using it for BSG?!?!? (if the Cylons are indeed human made) Hello Hollywood -- time to rip off something besides Maximum Overdrive!!!

The original conception of the Cylons as a reptilian/robotic, collectivistic race who did not understand and were therefore threatened by the humans' individual sense of morality, was vastly superior to this hackneyed, medieval tripe (though I think I got that from a novelization rather than the original series). Now it's something humans did
to themselves? What, again?

That was enough to turn me off the new series, even if one made allowances for it being a "re-imagining" rather than a remake... but when the evisceration of the Zodiacal colony names and the Ancient Egyptian symbolism is factored in, I'm just about ready to declare this current phase of science fiction in movies and TV to have exhausted its tiny repertoire.

I have a friend who is working on the CGI/FX for that series, and now I can understand why, after their first meeting, he ICQ'd me with "Doom, doom, doom...." (And yet Invader Zim gets cancelled?!!?)

If any of you wake up one morning and find yourself in charge of a major studio, promise me that none of the executive types who made or acquiesced with these decisions ever find work again (except perhaps in the pr0n industry, where there are no plots or storylines for them to foul up).

As for Space 1999, I too grew up with that series, it colored my view of science fiction until Star Wars changed everything.... and while it definitely took a dump in the second season IMO, some of the story concepts were quite innovative, and the overall look actually holds up quite well given the FX technology of the time. And I prefer its straightforward engineering approach to its ships (the Eagles etc.) to the weird-for-the-sake-of-looking-weird approach to ship design nowadays.

But I swear I'll plan evil vengeance on anybody in Hollywood who even thinks of touching 1999, until they promise they'll get out of the Dark Ages when looking for their theme.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, there was a different message in old mostly black and white scifi films: Be Xenophobic, as all aliens (if they exist) are monsters out to either take over, or destroy the Earth.

The movie industry has decided to make political and/or religious dogma statements of movies. That is cause everyone involved firmly believes it is their duty to do so.

The original BSG had clear Pagan links. It also made clear reference to angels and the devil. I guess that will all be excised as forbidden topics, in favor of politiTripe.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know the original BSG book had the Cylon's as cyborg-lizards and the origial pilot (BSG TOS???) had one quick mention that they were once lizards and were now cyborgs. Possibly Sci-Fi decided to bag the Egyptian motif as to not confuse the series with SG-1 which has still some of the Egyptian background. It probably confused some of the executive types there.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

BFHammer is right. Since this is a "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica, it will have to be judged on it's own merit and not compared at all to the original series. It's going to be hard not to since it's Battlestar Galactica after all, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I can deal with the concept of human looking Cylons as well as a female Starbuck and Boomer, but I feel that the ancient Earth connection to the people of Kobol has to remain in order to keep the story intruiging. When I read about the story on GateWorld as well as this article on the new release and saw how the Cylons were referred to " a race of cybernetic warriors once created by man" I immediately had my doubts. Personally, I would like to see the Cylons as they were portrayed in the original. A once reptilian race of beings who in envy and hatred of mankind evolved into a cybernetic race bent on genocide against humanity and all it stands for. But then again, this is a re-imagined story.

I did find it interesting that the only cameo appearance from the original series will be an "early Cylon unit" that the humans keep in a museum.

Pic is from GateWorld:
068.jpg

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I swear I remember an episode from the original where the high mucky-mucks of the cylons were meeting somewhere and there was a lizzard fellow there who was in charge of the whole thing.

But I may have dreamed that..

If they wanted to keep a connection to ancient humans, there are lots of styles they could have used. Chinese culture has a style that could be recognized, Japanese, even Mayan or something.

I agree the choice to make it be our own fault is not as much fun. I'm kind of tired of that too.

I really don't expect any deep or far reaching statements on the nature of humanity from the program. But I hope it's enjoyable and doesn't have any elements that detract. Sometimes an otherwise decent premise can contain an element that is just too far out in left field and it ruins it for me. But I'm still looking forward to this and will judge it after I've seen it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
I swear I remember an episode from the original where the high mucky-mucks of the cylons were meeting somewhere and there was a lizzard fellow there who was in charge of the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

James, you're right. In the Cylon hierarchy, it is the Imperious Leader who retains the reptilian form.

cylons_imperious.jpg

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

If that review is half correct perhaps they could cast Bill the Cat as the Imperius Leader. "Ack! Pffft. Snort." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

fbbb56b3.jpg

How can they revise it that much and still license the series name? Some technical tweaks I can tolerate but fracking with the core vibe of the concept? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

I read the current issue of Sci-Fi magazine and the responsible person for this "remake" is a long time Star Trek writer. He mentioned that that series was running in place due to the continuity effect (my phrase). So this is his response? Or maybe he got the boot for trying to bring Ewoks to DS9? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened

Give me more of Catherine Schell, who played as Space 1999 MoonBase Alpha's science officer, Maya !!
She could transform into different creatures....

Ed Straker

Newly Enlightened
Re: Sci-Fi channel\'s: Battlestar Galactica *DELETED*

Post deleted by Ed Straker

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am looking to judge the show on it's own merits, as I did with the Star Trek spinoffs. But, they better keep the original Galactica opening music if they're smart. I thought it was pretty cool. Or at least do a version of it.

Ed Straker

Newly Enlightened
Re: Sci-Fi channel\'s: Battlestar Galactica *DELETED*

Post deleted by Ed Straker

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just saw a link on slashdot to an interesting article:

[ QUOTE ]

Edward James Olmos, the star of the new "Battlestar Galactica," has some advice for devoted fans of the 1970s sci-fi series: Don't watch the remake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting coming from the star of the new series!

full article here

BF Hammer

Enlightened

The first part of the mini-series just finished, and indeed this is a very different story and premise. It does stand on it's own though. I have noticed the small homages to the original show, such as the "old" Cylons in the museum and the original theme music being played during the Galactica's decommissioning ceremony. I'll be in front of the TV again tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

guncollector

Enlightened

Requesting some clarifications...

I caught only about the last 45 min. of the show, but am I inferring correctly that:

1) the Galactica was about to be mothballed?
2) the Galactica's squadrons of Mk. II Vipers were also an obscelete (i.e. non-"frontline") model?
3) while the show hasn't outright "said so", am I to understand that the frontline Vipers all went TU because of their reliance on some high-tech/computer/software against which the Cylon's employed an effective "disabling ray/probe"--the same ray which didn't affect the Mk. II's?

You bet, I'll be tuned in tonight.

TIA!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you believe that I completely forgot about this last night? I guess I'm not as much of a Geek as I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But it's on again tonight before the next episode and I've not got Tivo setup.

It's one of those things that I just can't NOT watch, even if it is not going to be fantastic...

jln

Newly Enlightened

1) The Galactica was about to be decommissioned.

2) The Mk II. Vipers are actually the display units in the museum that's in one of the Galatica's landing bays.

3) I think that that's correct, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm a little foggy about that because something happened to Apollo's Viper, but that could have been something else.