• Thread starter Cosmic Superchunk
  • Start date

bhds

Enlightened
Re: Sci-Fi channel\'s: Battlestar Galactica

[ QUOTE ]
guncollector said:
Requesting some clarifications...

I caught only about the last 45 min. of the show, but am I inferring correctly that:

1) the Galactica was about to be mothballed?
2) the Galactica's squadrons of Mk. II Vipers were also an obscelete (i.e. non-"frontline") model?
3) while the show hasn't outright "said so", am I to understand that the frontline Vipers all went TU because of their reliance on some high-tech/computer/software against which the Cylon's employed an effective "disabling ray/probe"--the same ray which didn't affect the Mk. II's?

TIA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats about it in a nutshell. I watched the late showing last night after getting off work. I really had some reservations about the remake since I used to love the show as a kid. The original pilot was released in theatres and had the most humongous seat shaking sound system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I forget what it was called. Anyways, I was actually quite surprised that the show was as good as it was considering it was a remake and also made by the sci-fi channel.(in my opinion they make a lot of crappy shows) I think you do have to let it stand on its own. Got my vcr set for tonights show!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you missed the first 2 hours last night (and they showed it over and over again!) it is on again tonight, before the second part.

I am a big sci-fi fan, and I liked what I saw last night.

Avix

Newly Enlightened

a friend of a friend was working on the set, not a happy place by several accounts (including visits by the Police dept on several occasions, no explanations as to why), EJO did indeed say if your a fan of the original (I'm not), then don't watch, from all the previews and so forth it sounds like LEXX, sex sex and more sex, no plot, it's not battlestar galactica, they can slap any name on it they want, that doesn't make it BSG, "reimage" is a hollywierd way of saying "The Original Was Crap and I'm SOOOO much better and can Improve It SOOOOOO Much" (anyone remember Star Ship Troopers? so close to the original the authors widow made them take his name off it)

and Highland Sun, Mormons??? don't know where you get that. I live in North Idaho, lots of Mormons around, don't see a connection. and as a Pagan I'm not offended by the show.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Yikes, 8 different collections for $36 a piece! You can watch the whole series again for only $288 plus shipping and tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

they also have a mega set link

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Watching it now, pretty much fun, the only thing it has in common with BSG are some of the names and the design of the space helmets..

Best line so far "Why can't we use the starboard launch tube?"
"It's a gift shop now!"

LOL

EDIT: actually they are doing something very interesting with the CG stuff. They have done a really good job of getting that hand held camera look with it, really quite amazingly good. They still can't make ships bump into each other in a realistic looking way, but otherwise it's a very good job!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I have it on now. I find it has VERY VERY little to do with the BSG I remember.

Some of the scenes are okay, but overall I find I can websurf just peachy as it plays in the background...

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jln said:
3) I think that that's correct, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm a little foggy about that because something happened to Apollo's Viper, but that could have been something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apollo's Viper was damaged by debris from an exploding missile he intercepted with cannon fire off his bow.

All in all, I am enjoying the show! I was a constant watcher of the original...; a shame that some of the younger guys at work don't even know the original series !!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are things that are the same, things that are different, and a combination of both.

The F/X are very much modern. The only physical Cylons are the humanoid ones, like 6 (Model 6). The others are 3D CGI. In the original series, the Cylons were either hokey animatronics, or actors in costumes.

No it is not the original. Actually, it looks to be better. Richer characters, and the makings of a very good series.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Note: both parts of Battlestar Galactica will be shown again Sunday evening, beginning at 7 PM EST on SciFi Channel.

Please do NOT compare this with Lexx. Lexx is so bad, that it does not qualify for MST3K!!!!!

DumboRAT

Enlightened

It's not the old BSG, but hey, it's much better than the modern re-interpretations of Dune. I'm actually enjoying this one !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Mutie

Enlightened

Well I haven't seen it yet been too busy but I never liked the original that much other than the effects a bit. It just got way too hokey. And when the villains are all so predictably stupid and lame it's just repetious boredom.

Now call me a freak but I really liked most of the Lexx shows that I saw. And Farscape was really cool.

I suppose I'll try and catch the new BSG. It can't be any worse than the original.

Mutech

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just finished watching it, overall I enjoyed it. But then I didn't expect it to make a pertinent statement on the nature of humanity...

I think it stands quite well by itself, no need to know anything about the original. It also doesn't overlay the original story much seeing as how it actually takes place before the original series in the time line. So there is little problem there.

While I did enjoy their redoing of Dune and I have enjoyed many of their other work too (including Lexx, but that is on a whole different level and DEFINITELY falls into the cardboard set sci-fi genera which I absolutely love, but doesn't compare to this) I think this is probably their best effort to date. Excellent job.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I enjoyed it, as well. Very well made. The second part will be shown again at 7 PM EST, this evening. Then the whole thing will be on beginning at 7 PM EST, on Sunday.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened

I enjoyed the battle scene near the end, but thought the rest of it was pretty lousy. Aside from some nice special effects nothing much worth watching. I'll take the original anyday over this.

Almost forgot to ask, anyone know what lights they were using when they entered the resupply station? They looked pretty nice. Also the one guy had a nice looking small black (plastic or rubber) light, looked kinda like a UK SL4. Not sure though as I'm not familiar with UK lights.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't think it was lousy. Keep in mind that much of the show is laying background material for later on. Key characters and relationships. The main thrust of the show was not combat action.

If I am not mistaken, the time involved in the show, is like 36 - 48 hours.

Even the original series was not all combat action with the Cylons, and most of that was skirmishes, with a few major actions mixed in from time to time (Battlestar vs Base Star).

The new Base Stars are real bad news. Those new Cylon fighters are not ships with centurians sitting in them. They are actual Cylons.

Flashlight, you expect a shoot-em-up space opera cum war epic. This ain't it! This is a rich, robust story that sets the stage for a series, if a series is done.

Going by the battle scene near the end, I am not sure the Galactica is capable of taking out one of the new Base Stars.

MichiganMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
you expect a shoot-em-up space opera cum war epic. This ain't it!

[/ QUOTE ]

In Valen's name, how I miss Babylon5!

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:

In Valen's name, how I miss Babylon5!

[/ QUOTE ]

Miss it? It's on every weekday morning at 9 am Eastern. On SciFi channel of course.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Trivia - who was "The" actor in the Cylon suit in BSG:TOS?

Hint, he played a major role in another (later) SF Show, and the way I named the show above should be a hint

jln

Newly Enlightened

Ok, I'll bite, who was it?

[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
Trivia - who was "The" actor in the Cylon suit in BSG:TOS?

Hint, he played a major role in another (later) SF Show, and the way I named the show above should be a hint

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif