So long Photobucket

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't that expensive to own a domain and web site. I own a couple, although frankly have a college student help me with the details.

You can post any photos you like on them and link them to your forum posts. There are a plenty of web hosting services out there and it is a pretty competitive market.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welp,
For those who did the "~original" fix.... Photobucket has shut that down now.

Dratz.

You can now see the pix by clicking on it though.

Edit:
The ~original fixes are back up. And clicking on those not fixed is now an ad free experience.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Your pix were still up this morning but....

PostImage pix that I've posted since the PB heist took place are not showing. Access to my account in a link I was using was also blocked.
Glitch or permanent? Time will tell but dawg gonnit!!!

Edit: postimage is now a "dot cc" so the "dot org" thing in the link is the hicup. So a swap to cc fixes the link.

Edit 2: the folks at postimage stated the fine folks at dot org shut down that tag without notice.

IMG_20180412_132546.jpg

Posted from postimage dot cc

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the tail end of a paid PB account that expires in 2 days. Be interesting to see what happens to all my posts.
I'll have to check mine :(.
I have been fortunate enough to download my complete account in thier folders. What a pain! The tool they offer does not work on Gif or MP4 files, ughh. As far as your posts, I have noticed that my original posts from before the first PB upgrade still show. I had a paid account from the beginning. I have had to abandon any hopes of renewing my account. I was grandfathered in my subscription plan. Shortly before it expired I wrote CS a note asking what would happen to all my hosted content, no response. Then the account lapsed. I decided that I would renew to keep my grandfathered plan. Well, Low and behold the website to take payment did not work! I wrote back and forth several times. Well in conclusion, the account was never re-newed due to PB negligence. When they finally got it fixed, my link would not function to renew my account. CS had the B$lls to say that my plan never should have been offered to me, and that it why my renewal would not work. Aghh Yes, then they spam You to renew for a plan that costs 5X what I was entitled to. Sorry PB, even $100 bucks down from $400 bucks is not worth the spam served and thier change of instead of displaying the full-size photo in a new window/tab, it now brings You to the PB site to deal with PB Ads from a members paid accounts hosted photos. PB has made their photo hosting unusable. Ironic, as they originally started as a hosting company. It makes You feel bad for anyone who is forced to comply with PB's business structure due to the amount of lost time and exposure of recreating/amending previously hosted content on PB.

I Long for the Old Days when this stuff was simple, Pay, host, post. I don't foresee it happening, but IMO the best thing would be for someone to buy out PB and bring back the simple plans of the past.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not used by all that many but those who do use post image may have noted their photos are gone. Uh oh.

Ahhh, no fear. See somebody at the domain police shut off their dot org status. Post Image is now a CC.

Here's how to fix your pix....
IMG_20180426_210303.jpg

Do this and VIOLA!!!
Yeah it's a drag but hey... at least they aren't holding your photos for ransome. Was it Russian hackers? Martians? Bush's fault? Who knows, who cares.... it's an easy fix.

nbp

Flashaholic
Wow, that's cool, $20 a yr seems very reasonable for 3rd party hosting. If many people go for it, that will mean thousands of images restored to CPF if I'm understanding correctly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just checked the Abtomat cop light thread. Pix are working. Yay!!

I'd give 'em $20/year. Maybe too little too late for some though. (Edit: paid, now we'll see; end edit)

Ha, I'd already fixed everyone I could find here and my favorite car forum. Hundreds. But it's nice to know that some I missed are showing again.

It's nice to know PB is willing to cut the price for us forum users.

Testing... 1, 2, 3...

Woohoo!! It's working again.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great news , i will happily pay $2 a month and will try again to sort(was not successful earlier due to it keep asking for my email and password). Not sure on the new management, seems a bit cheesy tbh(that old chest nut as they say). But holding a grudge is not me, will trust again and see how it turns out. I had a feeling someone would come round or wake up eventually. Totally crazy idea from the start!

ven

Flashaholic
Nope still wont have it from laptop(previous tries was on iphone). So maybe its a USA thing at 1st, maybe roll out world wide later........................just guessing . Site is still glitchy as anything so far.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had to download the app to get mine working proper. Full site on a phone was wacky and the mobile view from a google link was worse.

It worked like before with the android app.

If you sign out you have to email/password, but the app lets me stay logged in if I choose to. I started fresh with a new password.

I log out and force stop it 'cause thatz a data slurpin'sob if you don't. More than the fakebook. :eek:

I won't use it like I used to, but it was nice to see the photos working on forums again.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
When i eventually managed to get it working(through microsoft edge), my original 20gb was reduced to 10gb...................I deleted a few old albums but made no real difference on the gb's. Getting close to giving up for good, just stick with imgur, even though i dont like it as much. So its cancelled again, with the reason why sent to PB.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use imgur

The desktop is OK but the mobile app is awful, just really aggravating to the Nth degree, I never use it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Wow, that's cool, $20 a yr seems very reasonable for 3rd party hosting. If many people go for it, that will mean thousands of images restored to CPF if I'm understanding correctly.
So the free subscription, which I was able to view just now in my account, is for personal usage only, but to post pics for ads again will require a 3rd party hosting account upgrade? I think I'll send them $20! :thumbsup:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Post your Olight S1 Photos.

Hope this is not too far off topic. Mods, please do what you do.*

26 June 2017, the day Photobucket sucked and never stopped sucking. It absolutely destroyed
this thread,
, and many others, and I don't know what I missed.

Best free image hosting sites
  • Wix
  • Google Photos
  • Imgur
  • Flickr
  • 500px
  • ImgBox
  • Dropbox
  • Free Image Sharing
  • PostImage
  • Imagebam
  • Imgbb
  • Imagetitan
  • Pixabay

List above may be outdated. Let me know what sucks, I'll update and remove from list.

I use Imgur because it doesn't require registration, though I registered anyway... and it was once far better than it is now: devs implemented javascript or maybe HTML5 to make it far trickier to get the image link, and to get the image to host in high resolution. I still haven't figured out how to consistenty get an image to host in high resolution, but I have seen other CPF members host from Imgur in high resolution, so I know it is possible.

Edit: * thank you archimedes, that was quick work.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
The discussion of image hosting site changes has been extensively rehashed here, thus @chillin your post above was relocated (before you edited and mostly removed its content)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I am grateful. If I knew what you knew, it wouldn't have happened. But I suspect we could just barely squeeze what I don't know that you do into the Grand Canyon.