soooo.. it's gonna drop into the 30's tonight.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: soooo.. it\'s gonna drop into the 30\'s tonight.

Nope - no "termination dust" as of yet. For those of you that don't know, it's when the snow first falls at the higher altitudes on the Chugach mountains that border Anchorage.

We watch it "creep" down to the city level...sometimes very fast, sometimes takes a few days/weeks. A sure sign that winter's literally at our doorsteps.

We also have a plant called "Fireweed" (it makes the BEST honey - with the bees help of course!). Fireweed has a cluster of little flowers that bloom along the top of the stem. The little flowers drop off (with colder temps & time) from the bottom of the bloom to the top. When all the flowers are off of the Fireweed, winter is just a few weeks away. Our Fireweed has been all "bloomed out" for several weeks now!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

102.6 F right here in Chino Hills. Night time temperature I'm guessing will be somewhere around 70-76F

Temperature inside my Den right now is 79F

Air Conditioner Status: On an running

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

basser:
i hope you don't get it for 5 months @ least. we had two straight nights of 30º @ night, then today it almost got up to 70º, accompanying some rain. but it's really looking like frosts are a couple weeks away, or less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

big dog:
i hope you and everyone else, especially those in Florida, don't come to any harm (your property either) during the hurricane. keep your survival kits handy.

telephony:
is it just me, or does San Francisco, farther south of you, have nicer weather year-round? what's up with that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Peter:
i'unno what your internet status is on right now, but if you're around, good luck. i've heard bad things from ppl in Ft. Lauderdale. but ppl in Miami say it's only a class 3 right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

Fitz:
it's been a cool summer here too. we had a couple heat-waves tho. this pattern usually leads to many ice storms thru the winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Marty:
i'unno if i could take that hotass weather anymore than this cold weather! isn't Death Valley the hottest place in the U.S.? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

turtle:
good luck to you!

Jay:
the upper 40's are normal here in the summer @ night. altho it goes much unnoticed. i have a theory that the hotter the weather is during the day, the longer it takes for the cold of the night to really kick in. it seems almost apparent when the weather has been cooling off here and staying in the 60's and then hitting the 30's @ night.

blue:
i'm jealous of you Cali-folk who get the nice weather year-round. the 90's/100's is pushing my comfort tho!

Doug:
even tho you're one of the Cali-folk i'm jealous of right now, i must agree with you on the new icons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

jarhead:
it's almost always abnormally cold here. but maybe if it heats up somewhere else it's gotta cool off @ another area. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction? maybe? LOL

flow:
HA!
(don't forget gloves/hat next time up Pike's Peak) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

geepondy:
you're about 7-8 hours south of here. the difference in weather is completely unfair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

rags:
try some mesh/down filled boots with Gore-Tex inserts! LOL

bikr:
more Cali-folk. *sigh* 75º. sun. no rain. *curses under his breath and makes sure all the windows are closed*

sigman:
it seems like you me and flow are the only ones experiencing any temperatures worth mentioning. open hunting season on photons, huh? the absolute best reason to buy flashlights on whims! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
*cue Jaws music*

sub umbra:
i was going to ask you what termination dust is, but i see the question has already been answered later in the thread by sigman (with a beautiful picture too).

Jack:
YIKES! 100º temperatures are worse than our cooling temperatures. altho i'd gladly take them over a Northern Maine winter!

Andrew:
you Cali-folk have night-temperatures nicer than our day temperatures now. frosts are coming soon!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
telephony:
is it just me, or does San Francisco, farther south of you, have nicer weather year-round? what's up with that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
San Francisco seems to have their warmest weather in October (not confirmed, just a personal observation), while we here in Seattle have our warmest weather from mid-July to mid-August.

In July and August, San Francisco seems to have high temperatures mainly in the upper 60s, while we have high temperatures in the upper 70s, with some days in the 80s and 90s.
In October, San Francisco seems to have high temperatures in the 80s and 90s; while we have highs mainly in the 40s & 50s.

Just my 2¢ here; individual results may vary.

*Retired*

I spent over three years at NAS Whidbey (Whidbey Island, a hop, skip, and ferry from Seattle), and spent alot of time wishing for a warm day. North Carolina was a nice change, but then Desert Shield/Storm came along, and the thought about wishing for a warmer day vanquished from my mind....

Latest posts