Surefire Invictus & Optimus - expectations (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Oh, like three cells, 400 lumens, adjustable beam?

Yeah - JUST like what you'd described! :thumbsup:

Scrapping both the Optimus and the Invictus was certainly a big let-down for all of us. SureFire more than likely does have something in the works that will up-stage both of the aforementioned lights. Waiting for the arrival of the new-SureFire-on-the-block, however, is like pulling teeth (or hair). :hairpull:

Flash_bang's 'wishful prediction' -- should it manifest in 'real life' -- would suit me just fine. HEAR THAT, SUREFIRE?!?? :whistle:

I still have a lot of faith in the outfit and believe their UB3 will be worth the wait.

-Clive

flash_bang

Enlightened
...Flash_bang's 'wishful prediction' -- should it manifest in 'real life' -- would suit me just fine. ...
wishful prediction? HA! they have something like it floating around there. I'm not sure if the four die LED would have some issue with the zoom plate, tho, and I think when (not if) they pull this off, it's gonna be epic.

Cheers,
Flash

PS, I know it's not christmas, but.... "and visions of surefires danced in their heads..."

AA6TZ

Enlightened
...I'm not sure if the four die LED would have some issue with the zoom plate, tho, and I think when (not if) they pull this off, it's gonna be epic.

Cheers,
Flash

PS, I know it's not christmas, but.... "and visions of surefires danced in their heads..."

MAN do I ever agree with you: it certainly will be epic! Looking forward to SureFire's (imminent/forthcoming???) announcement...:twothumbs

Hey! I like (and share) your Christmassy thought: "and visions of surefires danced in their heads..." :D

Very Best Regards,

-Clive

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Yes... totally NO expectations. That´s weird...

I guess they can close this thread, while those lights will not "exist".

If you close the thread a new one will pop up every other day with someone asking when they are coming. I guess now we know why there is no Surefire CPF party this year. The economy? Nah.

xpea

Newly Enlightened
It's a sad day... no optimus... after so long wait :shakehead

Com'on SF, show something, I want to spend these 400 bucks :devil:

Optik49

Enlightened
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size15's
I think one of the main reasons why there is no PK hosted SureFire party for CPF members at SS2009 is because CPF members do not understand why there is no party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMATICS
I guess now we know why there is no Surefire CPF party this year. The economy? Nah.

I think one of the main reasons why there is no PK hosted SureFire party for CPF members at SS2009 is because CPF members do not understand why there is no party.

I don't understand and I'm not sure why I should know. I hope this is not suggesting there isn't a party because of the discussions here about Surefire.

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
Are you really sure they aren't going to make the UA2/UB2? Unless I missed it I have not seen any comment from anyone attending shot show that have asked reps there if they are still a go or not. I won't believe it until I see something "official". Also I talked with a surefire dealer and he said as far as he knew they were still a go and felt that if they had been canceled he would have been notified about it........

rtt

Enlightened
Are you really sure they aren't going to make the UA2/UB2? Unless I missed it I have not seen any comment from anyone attending shot show that have asked reps there if they are still a go or not. I won't believe it until I see something "official". Also I talked with a surefire dealer and he said as far as he knew they were still a go and felt that if they had been canceled he would have been notified about it........

Look at post 47.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I don't understand and I'm not sure why I should know. I hope this is not suggesting there isn't a party because of the discussions here about Surefire.

I was suggesting that there would be a negative tone this year due to Surefire dropping the ball on the UA2 and UB2. Yes, they did drop the ball. Just want to get that in there before someone appologizes for them. Yes, sometimes @#$% happens and products get cancelled but they handled it very poorly. You don't show off a product at Shot Show 2008 and string your customers along for a full year and then play possum at Shot Show 2009. That's not the way to run a business. Remember, these lights were featured in the 2008 catalog not just shown off privately at the CPF party and all the while Surefire customer service reps kept claiming they were still on the way all the way up until the other day. When I called they said very clearly that the UA2 was cancelled and the UB2 was now the UB3. Of course ten calls to Surefire results in as many different responses so you never really know what is going on. /END RANT

I believe Size15's is saying that military and law enforcement is their market not us. Hard to support that when they are selling pens and jewelry lights however. He may also be suggesting that the criticism here is another factor but I think they definitely deserve some from time to time. If you like the company and want it to succeed you should call them on the mistakes they make. If you pretend they can do no wrong then you will see quality and service go down the drain.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe Size15's is saying that military and law enforcement is their market not us. Hard to support that when they are selling pens and jewelry lights however. He may also be suggesting that the criticism here is another factor but I think they definitely deserve some from time to time. If you like the company and want it to succeed you should call them on the mistakes they make. If you pretend they can do no wrong then you will see quality and service go down the drain.
I am not saying this at all! I'm not making any comment about SureFire's market or marketing, about SureFire being critised, about SureFire diversifying... In fact my point isn't about SureFire at all. :shakehead
I get the impression people consider the CPF parties PK gave were about SureFire. If that's the case they were depressingly mistaken.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I get the impression people consider the CPF parties PK gave were about SureFire. If that's the case they were depressingly mistaken.

From the pics posted of last year's party.... it seemed more about having fun, getting to know other CPFers, and PK getting a chance to flirt with Greta. :grin2:

Wattnot

Enlightened
If the rumor about Surefire dropping these lights is true, that bites. But I'd much rather this happen than buying the actual light, after all of the fanfare, buildup and expectations, and being let down. Especially with the proposed prices on them . . . and the propensity for our kind to "buy both."

Look at it this way . . . we all just saved WELL OVER SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!

So I will at least give credit to Surefire for not pulling a "Microsoft" by releasing them to the public half-assed, then "fixing" them "later." It was a dumb move putting them in a catalog a year ago, even if they eventually DO come out.

Let's not do this with the next proposed Surefire light and I would say the same to Surefire . . . keep the lid on it until it's a week or two from hitting the stores.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: RE: New lights available?Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:29:21 -0800From: helpyou <[email protected]>To:

Dear Sir,
We are hoping to have the T1A and UA2 released sometime in mid-2009.
This date is subject to change.

Thank you

Greg Lin
Technical Support
SureFire LLC
800-828-8809
www.surefire.com

-----Original Message-----

God bless you for sharing this sir. In times like these, all some of us have is hope.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmh...
I can much more easily imagine a single CS employee making a slight mistake and confusing the u2a with something else than that same person having inside info about a product discontinued for insurmountable difficulties being salvaged.

In short, sorry for being negative but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...

iapyx

Enlightened
Explain what a Tactical Light is.
Explain what 3V is.

I think I am missing something here. Probably since I didn't take part in that discussion. Therefore I don't know what a tactical light is. And 3V, well I can find it on my volt meter.

Maybe more interesting for those who wonder why the UA/B_2 have not been released. In the tread 'New Surefire LED lights at Shot' post# 256 by SunStar:

SunStar said:
I won't speak for SF manufacturing but was told by a SF rep at the show that the delay in release of the new U2's was a direct result of supplier inconsistencies with the current state of technology. Surefire can make one or small quantities of the units but mass producing units of equivalent / consistent performance was a real issue at the time being.

Link: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219402&page=9

Ratchet_Gear

Newly Enlightened
oh, like three cells, 400 lumens, adjustable beam?

Yup; I could only hope. One of the members appears to have a 2009 catalog and here is what he has to says about the UB3 which I will gladly still take. Unfortunately he does not have good news regarding the UB2.

Don't forget about the UB3 INVICTUS 3 batteries max output 350 lumens.

The UB2 is not in my catalog. Only the UB3.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think I am missing something here. Probably since I didn't take part in that discussion. Therefore I don't know what a tactical light is. And 3V, well I can find it on my volt meter.
3V is what PK has been working on for, well, ever.
Each of the 1V's can be achieved without too much effort.
2V's can be achieved and have been explored by various concepts and products.
3V is altogether more difficult. Especially if it is outcome focused (each V is defined by the ergonomics of the desired outcome).
The ergonomics and the outcome define the amount or type of choice of each V and how to select it, if indeed selection is appropriate or necessary.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.