Surefire Invictus & Optimus - expectations (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Hell NOOOO !!

That is just the point of those lights ... no freaky menu. Just a KISS interface. They add a menu, I am out. And not just me, I suppose.

bernie

Bernie - What I was referring to, but did not elaborate upon, was a set-it-ONCE UI, which would enable the lights' users to change the relative positions of the strobe and SOS detents to better suit their needs and or preferences. Otherwise, I am in complete agreement with you regarding any further "menu options."

-Clive

Kiessling

Flashaholic
No, not even then. Anything that can be changed or programmed needs to be remembered or can happen accidently.
Also, that would mean that two UB2 lights would not be the same and thus they wouldn't be user interchangeable.
Really not a good idea.

Programmable lights are nice toys IMHO, but I want KISS.

bk

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Hell NOOOO !!
That is just the point of those lights ... no freaky menu. Just a KISS interface. They add a menu, I am out. And not just me, I suppose.
Bernie, I agree with you 110%. :party:
I buy Surefires because of their quality, durability, reliability, and ease-of-use (not to mention their CS). IMHO, programmability is contradictory to these qualities. Heck, it seems to me that a programmable Surefire is a bit like a hybrid-electric truck.

...and I eagerly anticipate the release of the UA2 and UB2...when they come...eventually...:poke:

Last edited:

zx7dave

Enlightened
By 'technology' do you mean 'LEDs' ?
Is it possible to be certain about the details of the LEDs SureFire is using?
If SureFire changed the LED it used in several products to increase runtime but didn't change the specs or ratings yet - would CPF notice? I think not.

I think a few of us would Al...I am as guilty as most initially wanting more and more Lumens, but over the past year I have been equally focused on extending runtime with rechargeables and also getting into the warm Malkoff's, High CRI LED's, as well as Bi-Pin mods. I think it is important to have a balance both high/low output incandescent and LED's...

L.E.D.

Enlightened
So with the UA2 Optimus' "zoom plates" that appears to somehow use a fresnel lens, do you basically get a traditional spot PLUS spill with tight focus, then the spot expands to fill the spill in even brighter in flood focus? That's what it looks like from stuff I've seen from the SureFire website.. There was a video showing the Optimus on some Korean site, but it was real glitchy and I couldn't get it to work. Does my description of the focus characterics sound about right, though? Either way, I sure as heck am getting a UA2, and if the focus does indeed work this way, well, that would be pretty awesome..

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programmable lights are nice toys IMHO, but I want KISS.
bk

Novatac 120p's, Lifeflux lights, etc, are toys huh? :D Programmable lights may not be your thing, and that is fine, but many on the forums own programmable lights and use them as their EDC, and they are very useful ILLUMINATION TOOLS. To call our lights toys may not sit well with some. :wave:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Novatac 120p's, Lifeflux lights, etc, are toys huh? :D Programmable lights may not be your thing, and that is fine, but many on the forums own programmable lights and use them as their EDC, and they are very useful ILLUMINATION TOOLS. To call our lights toys may not sit well with some. :wave:

Programable lights has their place, but not everywhere. For some purposes the light need to have predictable functions (without having to do any configuration), even when your swap with a buddy or get a new light.

Arcteryx

Newly Enlightened
By 'technology' do you mean 'LEDs' ?
Is it possible to be certain about the details of the LEDs SureFire is using?
If SureFire changed the LED it used in several products to increase runtime but didn't change the specs or ratings yet - would CPF notice? I think not.

Not really the point I was trying to make. I guess i'll explain what I meant by technology.

Although I believe Surefire to downplay their product's lumen output, there are certainly products out there that throw a better beam with better runtime and all of that for a much lower price. Surefire is a pay for name product. Don't get me wrong... huge Surefire fan here.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Would you settle for a HUG, instead. :grin2:
(Sorry, couldn't help it).

Also, another "no" for making a complicated Surefire light.

Oh ... yes. I like Hugs. :kiss:

Ah come on! :nana: I heard much worse.
Just because they are used doesn't make them less "toyish" :D

Seriously though ... I don't think that multi-click and programmable interface stuff sits well with SF's philosophy and users. The new 2-level E-Series lights are already stretching it, IMHO. 2 levels with consecutive clicks .. boy! :D

While I am not exactly a SWAT team member, I like lights that require zero brainpower. Like those two in the thread title. Except the misplaced strobe and SOS :green:

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Not really the point I was trying to make. I guess i'll explain what I meant by technology.

Although I believe Surefire to downplay their product's lumen output, there are certainly products out there that throw a better beam with better runtime and all of that for a much lower price. Surefire is a pay for name product. Don't get me wrong... huge Surefire fan here.

Agreed. And I think the term "brand loyalty" is seen way too negative on CPF. As long as it is an educated choice for this loyalty, there is nothing wrong with it, it can be wise.

For example, I know that usually SF builds lights that have a UI that I can and want to use. They have a quality standard and a CS I can trust. I want something I can rely on, and a long-term availability as well as CS is worth something to me. Which is why I pay for the "name", the concept and the company of SF. Because I know what I will get and I know it will please me. I trust them.
Same goes for other brands and other people.

When the loyalty becomes "blind" and transforms into an agenda, it becomes troublesome.

bernie

1996alnl

Enlightened
there are certainly products out there that throw a better beam with better runtime and all of that for a much lower price. Surefire is a pay for name product. Don't get me wrong... huge Surefire fan here.

True,there are alot of products out there that are less expensive.
Better beam..well that's subjective.

If someone pointed a gun to my head and told me to go out into a parking lot and throw one of my lights up in the air ,i would pick a Surefire because i know it would work just as it did before.

It takes years to build this kind of consumer confidence.
So i disagree that "Surefire is pay for a name product".

A friend of mine works for the transit system and he can't wait for the Invictus and the Optimus to come out.
He uses 3 (!) E2DL's (with RCR123's) taped together to light up a subway tunnel.
I asked him why he would use $450 worth of flashlights for this,he said he spent more than that already on lights that "failed"on him over the years.

Last edited:

Arcteryx

Newly Enlightened
True,there are alot of products out there that are less expensive.
Better beam..well that's subjective.

If someone pointed a gun to my head and told me to go out into a parking lot and throw one of my lights up in the air ,i would pick a Surefire because i know it would work just as it did before.

It takes years to build this kind of consumer confidence.

So i disagree that "Surefire is pay for a name product".

A friend of mine works for the transit system and he can't wait for the Invictus and the Optimus to come out.
He uses 3 (!) E2DL's (with RCR123's) taped together to light up a subway tunnel.
I asked him why he would use $450 worth of flashlights for this,he said he spent more than that already on lights that "failed"on him over the years.

I would have to agree. I have put some of my Surefire lights through a lot of abuse over the years. However, I did manage to break my E2D, and I have no idea how. I'm sure SF will fix it no questions asked.

dougie

Enlightened
Whilst I don't think all of Surefire's lights or accessories are by any means perfect I cant think of another manufacturers products that would instill in me the same level of confidence that my Surefire lights do. Likewise I personally use Malkoff drop ins in my work lights (apart from the E1B of course) and have the same level of trust and confidence in the product. When you think about it it takes a special kind of product to have gained that type of confidence and there are few products I can think of which compare?

Doug

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Whilst I don't think all of Surefire's lights or accessories are by any means perfect I cant think of another manufacturers products that would instill in me the same level of confidence that my Surefire lights do. Likewise I personally use Malkoff drop ins in my work lights (apart from the E1B of course) and have the same level of trust and confidence in the product. When you think about it it takes a special kind of product to have gained that type of confidence and there are few products I can think of which compare?

Doug

I second that!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll soon have a few bucks to spend and I want a flashlight that'll always remember me of those bucks.

A Surefire Invictus would be just fine for that purpose, but if there's still none available at the moment I have the money, I'd rather have a Gatlight Ti than wait furthermore for a light that was in the 2008 catalogue...

AlecGold

Enlightened
9 hours , 22 minutes and still counting!
Who will be the first to post some news of the Optimus/Invictus, for all us poor people working and slavering, not being able to gather some news from Surefire?

@Henk_Lu I got my paypal locked and loaded as well (for over 6 months now) and I'm looking for a ultilarian light to replace my super-old 6P (with turbo head). I can really feel what you say about not waiting another year for something that starts to look like vapourware.
And I know SF wants to make decent lights only, high in build quality, superb in design and development, but I also want to be able to use and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.