The NEW New Malkoff 1600 Lumen Wildcat - beam shots added!!

Are you going to buy, or have you already bought one of the new Wildcats?

• Yes, I'll buy/have bought the new 5000K Wildcat

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Yes, I'll buy/have bought the new Warm, High CRI 2700K Wildcat

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Heck, I'm going to buy/have bought both!

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I'm going to stick with my previous version Wildcat

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters

Machete God

Enlightened
Quoted for awesome!

Okay, folks. I pulled a few beam shots of some well known lights and added a couple shots from the Wildcat. :eek:

Daylight control - the 'blob' in the foreground is Heidi, my 10 year old Sheltie pup - the beneficiary of these cool 'walking lights.' And yes, that's 'new' sod - I had my yard landscaped (and a cool irrigation system installed) about a month ago...

Night time - a bit of light pollution

Here's my FAVORITE EDC, the Haiku high CRI with 119V (Don's nomenclature) on HIGH. The color rendition from this light is just extraordinary. That IS the color of my storage building's roof!

McGizmo High CRI 6V Haiku (119V emitter) driven at ~1.4A

Here's a McGizmo AquaRam driven at the stock level 4 (sorry for the light pollution - my wife turned on the bedroom light!)

Level 4

Now let's look at the new Wildcat MTG2 - on low

Now brace yourself. All the settings are the same. Same scene - 4 months later - yard is somewhat soaked from the rain. I'm gonna hafta increase the shutter speed!

It looks like Malkoff has managed it again - the new Wildcat doesn't exactly supersede the previous version but offers yet another type of awesome.

Thanks for the beamshots, run4jc. Posters like you and arm880 are a boon to the flashaholic community. And a menace to their wallets, LOL.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots!

Here we are talking about a wall of light I see. I have Wildcat v1 and 4 and while these have their respectively characters and advantages this newest Wildcat provides another kind of quality. Shining up the garden at night - surely nothing can hide from this light! Yes, it's added to my list of flashlight obtaining.

Last edited:

bwall85

Newly Enlightened
wow! that's insane...

I'm soooo glad I have one coming :)

I'd love to see a comparison of the v4 vs v5

But maybe I'll just do my own whenever it arrives!!!

Thanks again! can't wait....

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must wait until dark, Wall of China Flood is right!

Very true. And nice pic!

I just fed this monster a bunch of batteries and it looks like it's much kinder toward 123As than the V4 Wildcat.

Malkoff-Wildcat-MTG2-Runtime.jpg

Also, when using 2 x Lithium-Ion batteries, you will get some tapering output as they become depleted instead of suddenly leaving you in the dark like the V4 would. You don't get much warning with the 18500 cells but the 3100mAh 18650s give you plenty of time to figure out your batteries need charging :thumbsup:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true. And nice pic!

I just fed this monster a bunch of batteries and it looks like it's much kinder toward 123As than the V4 Wildcat.

Malkoff-Wildcat-MTG2-Runtime.jpg

Also, when using 2 x Lithium-Ion batteries, you will get some tapering output as they become depleted instead of suddenly leaving you in the dark like the V4 would. You don't get much warning with the 18500 cells but the 3100mAh 18650s give you plenty of time to figure out your batteries need charging :thumbsup:

thanks! what voltage are you cutting off at with the secondaries?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks! what voltage are you cutting off at with the secondaries?

The protection circuit kicked in on the 18500s but I can't remember what the trip voltage is (3.0V?). The 18650s didn't trip but I ended their test after a little over 2 hours as I figured they had run their course. They measured 2.85V when I tested them. I don't know how much longer they would have run before hitting their trip point of 2.5V.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent graphs! :thumbsup: The 18500's stayed nice and flat, and then cut out. They still look good though.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent graphs! :thumbsup: The 18500's stayed nice and flat, and then cut out. They still look good though.

Thanks! Although it doesn't really show in the graph, the 18500s actually did give some warning before they tripped with a 1.5-2 minutes period of declining output.

Also, something I forgot to mention earlier - the V5 will not power up on a single 18650 but will with 2x123A. I know the 123As wouldn't power it for long so I didn't bother trying to time them.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The protection circuit kicked in on the 18500s but I can't remember what the trip voltage is (3.0V?). The 18650s didn't trip but I ended their test after a little over 2 hours as I figured they had run their course. They measured 2.85V when I tested them. I don't know how much longer they would have run before hitting their trip point of 2.5V.

gotcha, thank you!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Nice runtime graph!!! :)

This light is interesting. Love the tint, love the beam. Gene has offered up a light unlike anything in my collection. It's hard to explain, this light is SO floody it seems like a Mule. But a Mule with a little bit of reach. The hotpot is barely noticeable but it is there.

When I went out back and tried this light I felt like I was shrunken (Like as in the movie "Honey I Shrunk the Kids") and using a Mule. If you were tiny like an inch tall and using a Mule, it would throw. The beam is so big and so even. Hope I am making sense here. :D

Do not buy this if you even have a slight expectation for throw. The beam goes out to the advertised 150 feet, but this is a flooder.

Do buy this if you want a light unlike any other in your collection, HUGE flood with a HUGE beam. Creamy nice 5000K tint.

Home Run. :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
Awesome, and funny description, Brandon! :crackup: I kinda picture a shoulder- mounted Mule, bazooka style. SO looking forward to Gene having these back in stock!!! 880arm- Thank you for the graphs. Great info to have. :thumbsup:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit that it is very tempting!
I'm considering it now that I have seen that beamshot that looks like somebody just switched the lights on in the back yard.

callmaster

Enlightened
Nice runtime graph!!! :)

This light is interesting. Love the tint, love the beam. Gene has offered up a light unlike anything in my collection. It's hard to explain, this light is SO floody it seems like a Mule. But a Mule with a little bit of reach. The hotpot is barely noticeable but it is there.

When I went out back and tried this light I felt like I was shrunken (Like as in the movie "Honey I Shrunk the Kids") and using a Mule. If you were tiny like an inch tall and using a Mule, it would throw. The beam is so big and so even. Hope I am making sense here. :D

Do not buy this if you even have a slight expectation for throw. The beam goes out to the advertised 150 feet, but this is a flooder.

Do buy this if you want a light unlike any other in your collection, HUGE flood with a HUGE beam. Creamy nice 5000K tint.

Home Run. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing this is similar to my elektrolumen MCE drop in for the mag, cept A LOT more brighter!

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice pictures. That's quite a spill compare to the wildcat v4.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots 880arm! :thumbsup:

When I save the beamshots of Wildcat v4 and 5 and compare them in slideshow it seems pretty much that v5 has about the same times brighter spill than v4 as the v4 has brighter hotspot than v5. So these are very different. Also it's worth to note that while v5 has a typical reflector design and therefore has a clearly defined edge of the spill, v4 has a spill which gradually diminishes and is wider than the spill of v5.

I can't wait to get this new Wildcat! :popcorn: