The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raze

Enlightened
I like how the Triad 'balances' the look on the 18650 HD. Somehow it looks proportional with the Triad.

dnlmcginnis5

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys know if you put in a zero resistance brass tail cap from over ready in a surefire tail cap

Then on a Malkoff body if you can increase your lumens and voltage to your drop in specifically making the low side on my md2 hi lo ring brighter I'm having issues spending that much for the upgrade. The stock Malkoff tail caps have never failed me

scout24

Flashaholic
IIRC, the zero res tailcap inserts are beneficial in direct drive applications where the stock innards may not cope well with the higher amperage allowed by the direct drive setups. As per Oveready, there is really no visible increase in output, just reliability... Hope that helps.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys know if you put in a zero resistance brass tail cap from over ready in a surefire tail cap

Then on a Malkoff body if you can increase your lumens and voltage to your drop in specifically making the low side on my md2 hi lo ring brighter I'm having issues spending that much for the upgrade. The stock Malkoff tail caps have never failed me

I've done it on my MD4 Hound Dog. It does work, BUT, the shorter conical spring in the head (as opposed to the long stiff ones on P60's and the Overready Mini Turbohead) crushes flat and then crushes the nipple on the top of the cell. Also the action is very stiff and momentary is almost impossible. I used it for a week like this and decided the cell damage and possible head damage were not worth it. Haven't tried it with flat tops, but I'd still worry about damage to the head. I imagine it would work better if a couple of mm were shaved off the Zerorez.
I really like the Zerorez switches, but regretfully have gone back to a McClicky in a Triad Tail.
There was no noticeable improvement in output on my HD. I tried both the ZRT and the ZRM.
P

Last edited:

dnlmcginnis5

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys so much glad you can find a place like this to talk to other Malkoff junkies and bounce ideas off each other

Sounds like I'll be saving my cash for another drop in rather then the zero res insert I don't feel like trying to grind off the brass so it Doesn't crush my brand new orbtronic cells sounds like a pain in the *** to me

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about it, even if you ground down the Zerorez, you'd need a stouter longer spring on the head. I'm drawing the line at modding my Malkoffs, they are sacrosanct.
P

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output on high of 450 lumens is very nice, which surpasses the M61 SHO (which won't operate at all from a single Li-Ion). I also like its 5700K specification.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,

Any plans for a single mode 400 - 500 Lumen drop-in for the MD2?

I really want this!

Thanks!

Last edited:

dnlmcginnis5

Newly Enlightened
That's a Ton of lumens

My M61 LL with a true 100 out the front lumens has been enough light for me to do everything I have ever asked of it I'll be Honest it's a few shades to bright while working inside sometimes it blinds some of my crew members while taking care of patients in the field
The other day my m61LL was put to the test we had a crazed druggie on pcp hiding in a field we had to go search for him I had enough light to search with total ease and the 10 hour runtime was a indescribable mental comfort talk about guilt free lumens !

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61LL is an excellent drop in.
All of Malkoff's drop ins are very versatile no matter the output. They have an excellent balance of beam, brightness and runtime. With the MDC heads doing 450 lumens I don't see it as a stretch to put that in the form factor of a traditional drop-in single mode @ 450 for 1.5hrs to fit the MD2. With the high / low ring you still have access to a very useful 25ish lumens ( my most used mode with 30ish hours at full output ).

As great as the MDC is, I feel comfortable assuming there would a sizable demand to have that available to MD2 owners.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
read quite a bit of this thread and have seen next to no mention of the Malkoff Maglight drop ins. Have all 3 of them love the 300 lumen XP-G2 and 700 lumen XM-L2 the most. The 700 lumen drop in I swear took my 4D cell Mag (powered my 11000mah Powerex) from 35000 candela to 70k the beam is amazing. Just my 2 cents

recDNA

Flashaholic
How many amps power the the new XP-L MDC? 5700K is close enough to neutral so I would love to buy just the head. It would murder my 1.4 amp neutral XP-G2

AndyF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone use the candlepower Forum app from a mobile device I can't upload photos from my iPhone !

I originally could, but after the recent change (Panjo addition) I could not. It seems to be a link that works after I post but not sure if others can access it.

Back to topic, is anyone using the new 2xCR123 bodies with an Aleph bezel?.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Status
Not open for further replies.