The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened

Not a specific response to anything, just saying my Gene Malkoff lights are my most absolute favorites of all time! :D

I have a whole series of Hound Dogs and Wildcats, drop-ins for my Maglite 6D and 6C flashlights, and my favorite EDC; the MD2 M61 "HOT" with Hi/Low ring.

Okay, back to your regular programming... ;)

- Thomas

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ole microwave in a hotel room can't see it thing....
IMG_20180610_082525.jpg

IMG_20180610_082538.jpg

Solved with my 1x AA MDC on low.

IMG_20180610_083016.jpg

I like PWM. It brings back memories of life in a discoteque and makes it so a strober has no effect.
Yup.

However, I never knew the MDC had it until I read it here....

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if Malkoff would ever consider producing an 18650 right angle light ala Zebralight/Armytek etc? I have a turnkey MD2 and love the simplicity, ruggedness, regulation etc and if it was at 90* instead of inline it'd be perfect.

Also, is anyone aware of any alternatives to the MD4 tube? I'd be very interested in trying my head out with two 18650's, but $70-80 for a plain aluminum tube is hard to justify in my mind.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Wonder how many of those XM-L T6's were made? If I'm not mistaken there was a T6 LL variation as well.
Thanks for the pics Ceraland. As sad as it was to see this happen to you, it was pretty cool to see what one of These drop-ins look like without the reflector.
Hope Gene can get you squared away Sir.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
I wonder if Malkoff would ever consider producing an 18650 right angle light ala Zebralight/Armytek etc? I have a turnkey MD2 and love the simplicity, ruggedness, regulation etc and if it was at 90* instead of inline it'd be perfect.

Also, is anyone aware of any alternatives to the MD4 tube? I'd be very interested in trying my head out with two 18650's, but $70-80 for a plain aluminum tube is hard to justify in my mind.

I like the way you think Sir. That would be pretty damn cool. If there were a way to do a 90 with a P60 interface, I think it'd truly be a game changer and totally badass. One can only dream tho.. lol

archimedes

Flashaholic
Wonder how many of those XM-L T6's were made? If I'm not mistaken there was a T6 LL variation as well.
Thanks for the pics Ceraland. As sad as it was to see this happen to you, it was pretty cool to see what one of These drop-ins look like without the reflector.
Hope Gene can get you squared away Sir.

Those were a custom run, not officially released to the general public.

Very little info on them has been available, and even less since CPFMP has been offline.

You may want to look within a few posts above and below of here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...es-Spec-List&p=4182025&viewfull=1#post4182025

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hread-Part-2&p=4841287&viewfull=1#post4841287

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could try an 18650 extender from Oveready, but they are out of stock. I can't whole heartedly recommend Solarforce extenders because the threading seems to be inconsistent. Some people have been able to successfully mate them with Malkoff parts and some have not. Personally, I had a few Solarforce parts that were incompatible.

Another alternative is to go full CPF and buy a new flashlight with an MD4. Hound Dogs are great and a new light would help justify the cost of the MD4.

I'll shut up now.

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I like the way you think Sir. That would be pretty damn cool. If there were a way to do a 90 with a P60 interface, I think it'd truly be a game changer and totally badass. One can only dream tho.. lol

If Gene can make a Mag-lite drop in, I'm betting he could come up with a really great streamlined 90*. I can't stand all of the crazy UI stuff. I'm always worried one of my kids would get it, mash the buttons a bunch, and then I'd need an hour with a manual to figure out how to get it back to the only mode I care about.

Balog

Newly Enlightened
You could try an 18650 extender from Oveready, but they are out of stock. I can't whole heartedly recommend Solarforce extenders because the threading seems to be inconsistent. Some people have been able to successfully mate them with Malkoff parts and some have not. Personally, I had a few Solarforce parts that were incompatible.

Another alternative is to go full CPF and buy a new flashlight with an MD4. Hound Dogs are great and a new light would help justify the cost of the MD4.

I'll shut up now.

I asked about it a long time ago and was told the Solarforce body wasn't compatible. Maybe I'll grab one of those bodies and if it doesn't fit use that as an excuse to build out a whole Solarforce light. Not as much fun but cheaper than a Hound Dog lol.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been tempted to try the angle head Solarforce L2E body to see if I could make it work with an M61. The L2E is pricey for Solarforce and I am not really interested in the magnetic head (I don't know if it uses a removable magnet or not) but the idea of having an angle head Malkoff intrigues me.

KBobAries

Enlightened
Never having used one, what is gained and lost by an angled light? I've seen photos of them clipped to webbing or a pack strap to be hands free but I use a headlamp for that.

Balog

Newly Enlightened
Never having used one, what is gained and lost by an angled light? I've seen photos of them clipped to webbing or a pack strap to be hands free but I use a headlamp for that.

At least in my case, the point would be to use it as a headlamp. In line lights have significant difficulties associated with their use in that fashion.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll shut up now.

I have oveready, they are ok. made a 2x18650 into a 3x18650

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

little or nothing it seems which is why you don't see any

more difficult to edc, pretty much the same thing.

Balog

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone use the Malkoff Headlamp Holder? Is is a viable alternative to a purebred headlamp?

Based on the pictures it comes with a built in pre-set angle to shine right in front of you. Which is fine if you need that and only that, but much more limited than a normal headlamp would be.

Balog

Newly Enlightened
little or nothing it seems which is why you don't see any

more difficult to edc, pretty much the same thing.

I don't understand how they would be more difficult to EDC?

That being said, the advantage mostly comes from use as a headlamp where they are vastly superior to the in line lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.