Titanium Quarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
Bad news: Titanium scratches easily. I've been carrying an aluminum 123^2 in my pocket every day for a month and it doesn't have a mark on it. I carried my Ti 123 for one day and it showed some significant scratching.

Good news: It's really easy to repair. Get some MAAS metal polish or Flitz or something similar. My local Ace Hardware carries both. Takes the scratches right out. Tonight I found a nick on the bottom of the bezel, and I don't know if it came that way or I put it there. I took the scratch out with a few careful swipes of 3M 150 (Fine) sandpaper, then polished it for 15 seconds with the MAAS - good as new.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti is non-ferrous. Its steel. :)
I was talking about two different clips, the removeable ones are stainless steel. The non-removeable ones like on the single 123 model are the ones in question. String wanted to know if they where Ti since it is part on the body. I don't have one of those to check but if it is part of the Ti body then it may be Ti.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Oh, I thought you read a magnet barely sticks, Ti it wouldnt stick at all. If it barley sticks, then its steel. David said they were all steel I believe.

bcwang

Enlightened
Anyone notice the pre-flash is much worse on the XP-G? I notice it significantly more than on my neutral white quark which is actually not noticeable without the most careful observation. Still doesn't really bother me, but just my observation.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone notice the pre-flash is much worse on the XP-G? I notice it significantly more than on my neutral white quark which is actually not noticeable without the most careful observation. Still doesn't really bother me, but just my observation.

Very significant. For me, I run moon mode with the head loosened, and max with the head tightened.

* Run Quark on max
* Turn Quark off
* Loosen head
* Turn Quark on
* Experience a flash of light on max before it drops back to moon mode.

Bye bye night vision.

polkiuj

Enlightened
Very significant. For me, I run moon mode with the head loosened, and max with the head tightened.

* Run Quark on max
* Turn Quark off
* Loosen head
* Turn Quark on

Bye bye night vision.

Close your eyes dude.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems that no one really knows so I just fired an e-mail to 4sevens. Will update in this thread once i get the answer.
A week or two ago David announced that the clips are Stainless Steel. He also announed that specific models, like the CR123 with clip and AA with clip, the clip lands on a polished piece of the light and there is a good chance of the clip scratching the light.

Please don't make me search the announcement thread for this information. He has probably incorporated it in the OP of that thread.

Marduke

Flashaholic

* Run Quark on max
* Turn Quark off
* Loosen head
* Turn Quark on

Bye bye night vision.

Not in the slightest. The flash is far too brief to biologically affect night adapted eyes. It also does not flash on max...

strinq

Enlightened
A week or two ago David announced that the clips are Stainless Steel. He also announed that specific models, like the CR123 with clip and AA with clip, the clip lands on a polished piece of the light and there is a good chance of the clip scratching the light.

Please don't make me search the announcement thread for this information. He has probably incorporated it in the OP of that thread.

Ah thanks.
Now the I'm curious how he fused the Ti and Stainless Steel together. Unless like i mentioned earlier, the body is also SS.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in the slightest. The flash is far too brief to biologically affect night adapted eyes. It also does not flash on max...

Can't speak about other people, but I do experience some degradation of night vision. I'm not a biologist so I can't say why, but I do.

Regarding flashing on max, perhaps I should have said maximum brightness. When I turn it on using the procedure I mentioned above, I get a flash of light at the maximum brightness before it changes over to moon mode.

Just to confirm the actions I take:

Tightened head: max
Loosened head: moon mode

* Tighten head and turn it on => Torch goes on, maximum brightness as per the setting I chose.
* Turn torch off => Obviously, no light
* Loosen head to nominally set it to moon mode, as per the setting I chose.
* Turn torch on => A flash of light on the previous mode (in this case, maximum brightness), then it goes to moon.

Note how that procedure differs from:
* Turn torch on and loosen head => Torch is now in moon mode
* Turn torch off
* Wait 10 seconds
* Turn torch on => A flash comparable with low mode, then it goes to moon.

It's as though the torch immediately lights up on the mode it last remembers, and then checks to see whether the head is tight or loose, then changes mode if so required.

If you're disputing the brightness of the flash, I've done this repeatedly for medium and high as well, and each time the flash is of the same brightness as the mode chosen for a tightened head, i.e. if I set the tightened head to medium brightness, that flash is the same brightness as that of medium mode.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can't speak about other people, but I do experience some degradation of night vision. I'm not a biologist so I can't say why, but I do.

Regarding flashing on max, perhaps I should have said maximum brightness. When I turn it on using the procedure I mentioned above, I get a flash of light at the maximum brightness before it changes over to moon mode.

* Tighten head and turn it on => Torch goes on, maximum brightness as per the setting I chose.
* Turn torch on => A flash of light on the previous mode (in this case, maximum brightness), then it goes to moon.

If you're disputing the brightness of the flash, I've done this repeatedly for medium and high as well, and each time the flash is of the same brightness as the mode chosen for a tightened head, i.e. if I set the tightened head to medium brightness, that flash is the same brightness as that of medium mode.

People measured the flash before, it's nowhere near max output, and is not the level last used. That's not what causes it.

As they say, "it's all in your head".

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Note how that procedure differs from:
* Turn torch on and loosen head => Torch is now in moon mode
* Turn torch off
* Wait 10 seconds
* Turn torch on => A flash comparable with low mode, then it goes to moon.

It's as though the torch immediately lights up on the mode it last remembers, and then checks to see whether the head is tight or loose, then changes mode if so required.

i don't have the titanium version. i'm assuming it's the same.
i experience exactly the same.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really digging mine! It's great, on turbo, I flood the opposite end of my basement with a wall of light! It'll be great for airsoft (have to camoflauge it, though). I put some black heatshrink tubing on the clip, solved the gouging problem from the steel clip, and it grips even better now.

But, yeah, it's dfinitely a flooder with some throw! It'll light up my neighbors entire 130+ year old oak (I think) tree, from the street, approximately 75 feet away.:devil::D

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Quark AA Ti (the onle 47 product i have), the flash at the start of moon mode is still there.

I did an experiment myself. I walked into a pitch dark room and waited till i have adapted to light level, then i turned on turn and put the head against my body so that i can't see the light. I turned it off and loosened the head and turn it on in moonlight mode shining it at something bright white within a metre of me.

I did it, and the moonlight mode for onc looked very useably bright lol, but with little discomfort, although i did notice the initial flash.
But to be honest, if you were using turbo mode just seconds (or even minutes ago), what the chances of using moonlight mode so quickly?

thats my $0.02

* Run Quark on max
* Turn Quark off
* Loosen head
* Turn Quark on

Bye bye night vision.

strinq

Enlightened
At last...shipping order confirmed...

Oh yeah, got a reply from 4sevens.
The Ti Quark 123's clip is stainless steel matching a Ti body. I guess i gotta see myself how they did it.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suppose this is no coincidence, i got the confirmation through email for my other order just then as well, but i didn't ask them anything.

bcwang

Enlightened
With mine, I can actually see the flash every time I turn it on in moon mode, without having to go into other modes first. It is very brief, not that bright, and not a big deal, but much more than in my neutral white quark.

Status
Not open for further replies.