Jumper= sweater
Pavement = sidewalk
Cozzy (for women)= bathing suit
nappy= diaper
Aubergine= eggplant
Plaster - band aid

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few I don't believe have been mentioned.

US UK

'a flat' ... 'a puncture'
'in back'... 'behind'
'pissed' is angry ...'pissed' is exceedingly drunk
Purse ...Handbag
Loafer ...Slip-on
Soda - is flavoured fizzy drink... Soda - is fizzy water
Jello... Jelly
Candy ...Sweets
Flapjack - is a pancake ...Flapjack is a dense oaty bar

That's it for now ,but I'm sure more will come.

Vives les differrences!!!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been to London a few times and have had "crumpets"...which to me were exactly the same as we call "English muffins" here in the US.

But we do not have clotted cream nor lemon curd here. :)

Norm

Retired Administrator
This is an English Muffin in Australia.

13316738905_7be5fb3cbb_n.jpg

This is a crumpet.

13316902453_a2012e7d1e_o.jpg

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if applies to the UK, but it does Canada, and we do share more with the UK that the US does, but for school kids
We say Grade 1, Grade 2 etc , the US The First Grade..
Same with University,
First Year = Freshman
Second Year - Sophomore
Third Year - Junior
Fourth - Senior

Ie My daughter is a third year student, not a Junior

Trolly - Bus

Th

Norm

Retired Administrator
Australia has a similar mix of UK English and US English, due mainly to the influence of TV over the last 57 years, spoken English is very different to what it was prior to the advent of television.

Norm

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
since the thread is morphing into "Food Talk", and someone mentioned clotted cream, I thought about the British habit of putting sweetened condensed milk on pie (as I understand it).

It seems roughly analogous to the US habit of adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a piece of pie (normally a fruit pie, such as apple). Once the ice cream is melting, there's not much difference between it and the sweetened condensed milk. However, I think most folks here in the US would cringe if someone suggested serving pie in the British fashion.

My assumption is that it follows the general trend for the US to serve food and drinks cold, whereas the UK is much less likely to serve anything cold. Is it just because it gets hot here in the US, and the UK is just happy when the sun shines and things dry out?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know -- English muffins and crumpets look and taste the same to me and I'm quite a foodie...:)

And I've had cream pie which is pretty much baked sweetened condensed milk and eggs...but never put sweetened condensed milk *on* pie...might be good but I've never tried it. Maybe next time I'm in London. :)

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, not really. They taste the same to me and have the same texture...to me.

A lot of the differences in your link there cite differences in presentation...served split or not, etc.

All I know is I've had both, several times, and they taste/look/feel the same to me and nothing is going to successfully convince me otherwise. :) It may also depend on which particular English muffin and which particular crumpet one is comparing also.

Oh, and the crumpets I've had in England were served split, FWIW...

Norm

Retired Administrator
You're obviously talking about different animals they are as different as chalk and cheese.

It may also depend on which particular English muffin and which particular crumpet one is comparing also.

Photos were posted to make it clear as to what products I'm referring to.

Norm

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe your "English muffins" down there are different than ours in the US.

Pictures are fine, but they cannot convey taste and texture...

Anyway, I think they're the same and the others I was with that have had both also consider them the same.

If you want to say they're different, that's fine of course. I'm just saying they taste/look/feel the same to me. Not sure why this has become such an issue here...

Anyway, back on topic...I have a British car, so I refer to its parts in "British" English. Seems appropriate. :)

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Australia has a similar mix of UK English and US English, due mainly to the influence of TV over the last 57 years, spoken English is very different to what it was prior to the advent of television.

Norm

This is very noticeable in my kids, they will say 'Zee' for the last letter of the alphabet and not the English pronounciation 'Zed'

In the US you say 'Pickle' for the UK's 'Wally' (South East slang)

In the US 'Corned Beef' is what we would call 'Salt Beef' - to us, 'Corned Beef comes in a can - is that 'Bully Beef' in the US?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never mind all that silly US v UK talk as we can get by together easy enough,if you live in the UK you need to learn Polski Sklep = Polish Shop.:D

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
Isn't Q-tip a brand name used as a generic name like Bic or Biro?

Norm

It is, but no one I know calls them cotton swabs as the package says. Kind of like when people call all hook and loop Velcro.