What is the brightest small light?

ChevyGuy1987

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the brightest possible light for a rig i am building. The only problem is the max size lights i can accommodate are 150 x 25mm I was told that 1 of downloads pocket rockets would work great. Any other opinions? The light can be smaller than max size just no larger. Thanks, Randy

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You can get a light that small that'll do 400+ lumens, but not nonstop; that's not enough mass to sink away more than ~200 lumens of heat waste continuously.

ChevyGuy1987

Newly Enlightened
I would only need the light to be able to run for about 2 minutes at a time. Mabey a little longer.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious as to what kind of "rig" needs this tiny super bright flashlight... :)

joe1512

Enlightened
The new MG p-rocket is a good contender.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/**NEW**-MG-P-dsh-Rocket-SST-dsh-50/Detail

dimensions: 14.6 CM x 3.4 CM x 2.7 CM

It is just under 150mm. With a small reflector and 18650 battery, I would think it would have a diameter approaching 25mm. I suspect their 3.4x2.7 refers to the head which maybe could be sticking out of the Apparatus?

In any case, that is really the best you are going to find thickness-wise, unless you go to a 2xAAA Preon style light.

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
My fav, brightest small light is the P20C2 Mk II by Eagletac. 300 actual OTF lumens. But, it may still be bigger than what you wanted.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want it to be floddy for something like a camera rig? Do you need it to throw the furthest distance, for something like a rifle? Pleace share with us, and im shure you will get the best suggestions.
lumen is just a number, beam pattern means more.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
You can get a light that small that'll do 400+ lumens, but not nonstop; that's not enough mass to sink away more than ~200 lumens of heat waste continuously.

+1

I've found a tiny Peak Logan (#8) to be quite intense on an IMR16340, but so much so that you risk heat damage to the light, the battery, and your fingers running it more than 60 seconds at a time. I'm lining up to see how#6 fairs.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
If you only need a few minutes at a time on high, you could use a Quark Mini AA with a 14500 in it. It's tiny and will put out over 300 lumens:drool:.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There are Solarforce torches advertised on Ebay that (apparently) are capable of 500 lumens on a single 18650.

EBay = inflated output numbers.

The budget multi-emitter lights usually manage ~300 lumens max with no regulation; some models aren't properly setup to sink heat and can kill themselves within only a few minutes.

Connor

Enlightened
ChevyGuy1987,

a Quark MiNi 123 with RCR123 would fit the bill.
Somewhere around 250 real lumens (only with RCR123!) on max. This is of course way too much for a small light like this, but if you only use it for 2 minutes on max, nothing bad will happen.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
400 lumens is a lot of light, 150x25mm is a small package, 2 minutes runtime is just plain odd. What are you building?

If it MUST be 400 otf lumens, have a look at Wayne's EDC-MCE. Within your measurements with 700 lumens running on a single 18650.

Or if that's too pricey a Quark 123 Tactical will give you 230otf lumens (still very bright) in a package that fits your measurements and you can run it on max until the batteries die without damage to anything.

arnoldr

Newly Enlightened
How about a Lumapower Incendio V3 (XP-G R5) using RCR123 ? Not sure how bright, lumens-wise, the light is at 100%, but it's definitely Bright.

arnoldr

DeeperDeeper

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the brightest possible light for a rig i am building. The only problem is the max size lights i can accommodate are 150 x 25mm I was told that 1 of downloads pocket rockets would work great. Any other opinions? The light can be smaller than max size just no larger. Thanks, Randy

Pen sized laser pointer is small and very bright!
crackup.gif

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG P Rocket
34 mm wide head would not fit into 25 mm.

EDC-MCE
I measured 37 mm head diameter on my EDC. Won't fit.

Practically all production 400 real OTF lumens flashlights use P7 or MCE or SST-50/90 LEDs. They all have 35 mm or bigger heads.
The only way to get 400 lumens is go custom or to way overdrive a smaller less bright.

There are a couple of suggestions to use 14500 or RCR123A batteries on lights that are designed for AA or CR123A batteries. That is pushing the batteries close to the :poof: point. I suggest getting IMR cells which can handle the higher current. Output with the XP-G R5 lights are ~250 lumens. Some may claim more but it is for the 1st second. By the time it is 2 minutes the output has dropped.

One home made option using :mecry: DX parts :shakehead .
sku.21037 Cree MC-E LED 3-Mode 410-Lumen Drop-in Module w/Copper Heatsink Base (26.5mm*27.5mm)
sku.14905 MX Power 3W Cree P4-WC 150-Lumen LED Flashlight - Gray (1*CR123A)
AW's IMR16340
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2272984#post2272984
If you read the reviews on the MCE module page a few people have tried this.
Note: The normal Lithium ion is pushing out 2000 mA in this setup. The safe limit for that kind of cells is 1400 mA (2C*700mA). :poof: So get the IMRs!

Last edited:

Latest posts