What Is Your Favorite Cold Cereal?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bran flakes. I often sprinkle a half teaspoon or less of Nesquik on it.

In a pinch, raisin bran will do.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
In no particular order, by Post: Rasin Bran, Honeycomb, Alphabits. Also on my list would be Frosted Mini Wheats which I think is produced by General Mills, and also Shreddies and Frosted Flakes. Once in a blue moon I have a hankering for Fruit Loops.

I use to love Apple Jacks back in the late 60's/early 70's while watching the Saturday morning cartoons but haven't had a bowl of them since then.

Least favorite back in the day would have been a cereal called Wheatabix, even though a NHL Toronto Maple Leaf player by the name of Norm Ullman shilled for Wheatabix on TV.

Still have an unopened box of Flutie Flakes sitting around which some Buffalo Bills fans may remeber from that team's Doug Flutie as QB era.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
A long long time ago I used to love Rice Crispies loaded down with tablespoons of sugar :sick:

Couldn't resist adding this :D

CaptCrunch.jpg

(Image hosted on my bandwidth, not hot linked)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
...snip...Least favorite back in the day would have been a cereal called Wheatabix,

Hehehe

On one of the mailing lists I'm on, there are 2 banned topics - pendilums, and Wheatabix

What happened was - many years ago, the moderator went on something like a months vacation, and bot topics came up - ad we must have run 100-200 message, a day on them - in particular, the best way to eat a wheatabix, what IS a wheatbix like (Most American had never seen one) and "alternate uses - like scrubbing pots, burning them, filling potholes etc

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barbara's Bakery Shredded Spoonfuls. It's like a healthy version of Life cereal. ("Mikey likes it!") I also love raisin bran, most currently, the Trader Joe's variety, and many of the Kashi cereals. Usually, I like to mix the Shredded Spoonfuls with varied Kashi cereals, such as Go Lean, Go Lean Crunch, Heart To Heart, or Good Friends. Mini (lightly) frosted Shredded wheats are good too. We've currently go the Trader Joe's brand of that.

Cereal is one food that, for me, is great any time of the time. When I can't sleep, I usually eat a couple of bowls of cereal and then go right to sleep. Sometimes, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back to sleep unless I eat cereal.

Scottiver

Enlightened
LUCKY CHARMS:thumbsup:

Yep, that's probally my favorite guilty pleasure as far as cereal goes. But I mix it 1/1 with regular cheerios to tone down the sweetness a bit.
I do the same thing with Honey Bunches of Oats, mix it 1/1 with Corn Flakes.
Good stuff.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too me it tastes a little too much like hay without the frosting. Even with the frosting because the sugar is surface only, the cereal contains less sugar then many what you would consider non sugar cereals.

Shredded wheat. No frosting, no sugar, just milk. Fruit sometimes. Mmmm good.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: What Is Your Favourite Cold Cereal?

I'd have to say it's a split between Captain Crunch with Crunchberries and Cocoa Pebbles (or Cocoa Crispies if it's on sale; they taste very similar to one another).

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I learned something about cereal marketing... the sugariest cereals are typically placed in the center row of the cereal displays, closest to eye-level, while the healthier (read: plainer) cereals are located higher up or down on the bottom row.
:ironic:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vulgar image removed - Empath

Sorry, I thought that was PG.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....the cereal contains less sugar then many what you would consider non sugar cereals.

Yep, that and the fact that I can pronounce all the ingredients are big parts of why I like shredded wheat. The only preservative is added to the packaging, not the food. Sugar and corn syrup are added to just about every kind of food, and whoever came up with the idea of feeding sugar and chemicals to kids as breakfast was probably thinking about making money instead of kid's health.

After all that, I still just plain like the taste. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pocketsunshine

Newly Enlightened
Shredded wheat is great! my other two favorites are Special K and Cheerios.
Grape Nuts occasionally.

Steve

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I used to eat Grape Nuts fairly regularly, but they did need an awful lot of sugar to sweeten them sufficiently. But they were rather tasty. :)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frosted mini wheats, Life, Honey Bunches of Oats, Grape Nuts, Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Puffs. I don't eat much anymore though because cows milk plugs up my head. So I really cut way back on cereal.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Soy milk is an alternative here; though I have never tried it so I have no idea of how well it goes with breakfast cereal.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
O I totally forgot, back in the 80's , Ralston Cereals decided to produce this:

ghostbusterscereal41009he7.jpg

The best cereal ever!!! YOU could not get more sugar in your system in the morning , even if you had it injected straight into the vein... Yes it was that good. The came the second movie and of course Ghostbusters II cereal now including more colorful marshmallow pieces.. I miss the 80's.....

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to eat Grape Nuts fairly regularly, but they did need an awful lot of sugar to sweeten them sufficiently. But they were rather tasty. :)

Well, using the word "awful" to describe the amount of sugar needed to make Grape Nuts tasty sounds like excess, but I agree, they do need to be sweetened. I love 'em, too, as long as they've been sweetened (or mixed with something sweet, like frosted mini wheats or raisin bran.) If I happen to be eating a cereal that absolutely needs sweetening (like Grape Nuts), I sweeten it with Agave, which is a low GI food, which won't spike your blood sugar like refined sugar will. Spiking one's blood sugar in the morning (with cakes, donuts, or super sugary cereals) affects one's testosterone levels, leading to sluggishness and a slower metabolism.

My dad, somehow, though, eats Grape Nuts without sugar. He eats plain oatmeal without any type of sugar, too. I don't know how he does it, or why. My mom and I always give him the ol' "booooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg," whenever he comments on how he eats everything plain.