what will the next ipod be?

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
I think it is such an enormous scam that iPhone users can't assign music already stored in the iPod portion of the iPhone as ringtones.

I don't have one, but that still irks me. :scowl:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

WhatMACHI

Newly Enlightened
I think it is such an enormous scam that iPhone users can't assign music already stored in the iPod portion of the iPhone as ringtones.

I don't have one, but that still irks me. :scowl:

There are so many cons to the iPhone that i even if i had boatloads of cash floating around i wouldnt event consider buying one.

And when the newer "nano phone" comes out, im sure that there will be an array of new problems or issues that will plague the community. If they say "oh it will be cheaper, but have less features" i cant imagine how much they are going to remove, and i dont believe that the nano phone can beat a phone+an ipod nano in practicality, functionality or price.

Having ranted on again about how much im disliking apple, i'd still love to see a shock proof ipod (but i do realize that there will be significant limitations in a HD based media player).

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
After the Mac came out, I vowed never to buy another Apple product as long as Steve Jobs is in control. He loves to lock things up - no external access, battery ports for convenient upgrades, etc. His Apple Cube was the ultimate closed product and promptly died.

As far as the Nano phone is concerned, I bet it will lose the fancy color screen with touch capability -- it's the single most expensive part of the iPhone. It'll probably look like a sexier Nokia with a very small, cheap but rugged display. Again, it'll be totally locked up e.g. no flash memory upgrades etc. As you can probably guess, I won't be buying one.

gorn

Enlightened

gorn

Enlightened
It doesn't surprise me that the Chinese have counterfeited the iPhone. Look what they do just in the flashlight industry. I won't dignify their actions by calling it "clone".

axolotls

Enlightened
I don't know, but I'd love it if it was a Meizu.
I like Meizus; they give you more than a Nano for half of the price, and all at a decent build quality. They more than deserve to be the next market leader.

Realistically, though, the next ipod is likely to be just another ipod.

A new version of the M6 is coming out at the end of the year. Smaller and video files don't need converting.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i forgot :)

instead if aluminum, the new ipod will be made from titanium and have a coating of titanium nitride( virtually scratch proof).

about the meizu iphone clone,
IMO the clone is better then the iphone.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new version of the M6 is coming out at the end of the year. Smaller and video files don't need converting.
I know, which is why I'm trying as hard as I can not to order one now...

I must be strong
I must be strong
I must be strong

*sigh*

Edit:chesterqw, the iphone clone is not made by Meizu.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
(On cpf via iPhone) ...
The iPod and iPhone both need iTunes on the device itself, and especially obvious with the iPhone that it's glaringly missing from the list of onboard apps. I think it's pretty safe bet that on-device purchasing is on the near-term roadmap for the upper tier of both, don't you?

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be cool to have an iPod sports model that would track my speed and distance with GPS while running and biking. It would cool if it could simultaneously track my heart rate, and beep when it was in and out of the target zone. I'd like to be able to download all that and chart my progress over time on my computer.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The iPhone Clone is the Meizu M8.....

And i reckon the next iPod will be an iPhone sans phone functionality with a HDD rather than flash.

who needs ipod just buy iphone now.

What about OVERSEAS PEOPLE and people who don't want another phone? the iPhone does NOTHING AT ALL until it's activated.

--neg

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is purchasing stuff from your phone an attractive feature? Network is slow compared to your wifi at home. Is there really a single you just have to have on the train on the way home? This is a non-feature for me and I doubt that they will do it either. Since the data plan is "unlimited" AT&T has no reason to want Apple to artificially pump up the data usage by downloading songs they way they might want if you were paying by the byte...

As far as the next iPod, I'm fairly confident that it will be identical to the iPhone except that the only functionality will be whats under the iPod tab on the iPhone. All the same stuff the iPod does now but with the larger screen and new multi-touch interface.

It would be neat if they could add in some of the other stuff, like the camera, but I doubt it. And I doubt that it would have all the other networking features and web browsing capability minus the phone. But time will tell ;)

I do suspect that Apple would like to get completely away from hard disk based players, they just dont hold up under heavy use and the occasional drop from a height. So I also expect that future versions will be entirely flash memory based, except for the largest, take your entire iTunes library with you, version which will still be available with a disk.

But what do I know? ;)

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
James I know you're really Steve Jobs so I'm not arguing, but... maybe the Edge service is too slow but the WiFi isn't. I could impulsively buy a song or book while I'm on the road with my iPod or iPhone. No need to break out the laptop -- just purchase while I'm waiting for a flight, sitting at a coffee shop or somewhere, y'know? That'd be pretty nice. Just a thought though. I think it's funny how I thought it was obvious and you thought it was absolutely not worthwhile. Totally different perspectives/priorities for same devices. Colorful world we have.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
I read somewhere that in 2012 apple will have some sort of direct to brain music player, with no head phones required.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, you know the girls at my local subway still call me Bill Gates whenever I walk in, but I think it's because of the gold rim glasses I used to wear rather than any desire to tease me since I'm really Steve Jobs...

I'm not suggesting that it isn't a feature I wouldn't use once in a great while. But it's hardly a deal breaker for me to want to trade all the other things for an otherwise completely hobbled verison phone just so that 6 months from now I can download something on the train.

Thats the thing about everything ;) We all have a short list of the really important stuff to us that makes the difference. IT does make it easier to make decisions with a short list rather than a long list. This just isn't on my short list.