What's The Big Deal With Skulls?

RadarGreg

Enlightened
GeoffChan said:
I've seen an Army unit in Iraq using that...

can't remember what American unit it is

I think it is from a 3rd Infantry Division Unit. I took a picture back in 2003 in Baghdad of a M1A1 tank with that painted on it. I can't remember the armored battalion it belonged to though.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Gene said:
I'm just curious to why skulls have made such a comeback in the last 2 or 3 years? I even see where so called "Christians" love and request them.

Speaking of Christians and skulls, you should really check out the catacombs in Paris ;)

Here are skulls in the shape of the cross:
404-catacombs-skulls-in-cross-large.jpg

If you have a problem with skulls I'd suggest that it's not the skulls fault, or because of a facet/tenet of Christianity.

Now I do understand your confusion of the skull fobs, I mean "fobs" how, err, ahh, ... unmasculine. A skull on a fob almost overcomes that quality, but not quite :p

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never been a skull guy, never owned or wanted one..
That is, until those really cool skull lanyards popped up on BST, now, I will now own a skull.. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Skulls are symbols of the last and greates fear of man ... death. They have meaning ... obvious as well as hidden. They are us, and we will be skulls one time.

And yes, the catacombs of Paris definitely rock!

P7130014.jpg

P7130013.jpg

P7130019.jpg

bernie

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene said:
I even see where so called "Christians" love and request them.
So Christians can't/shouldn't like the look of skulls? They worship a dead guy nailed to a hunk of wood. Doesn't get much more macabre than that!

I guess what goes around comes around.
I don't get this part.

I can really understand how you're all burned out and sick off seeing skulls, though, from what you've said.
Like the tattoo artist who cringes when someone asks for a Taz, or a rose on their ankle.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the problem with a rose, now?

I think the thought of death is counterproductive because it just makes me feel anxious, feeble, and all those other unpleasant useless feelings. I think the whole of life is about, besides the struggle to stay alive, diverting one's self from realities too grim to contemplate too often or too much.
I don't need to be reminded by 'skull art.' I know I know , I get it already. leave me alone.
Probably people who need to have the skullart around all the time need that pointy stick of death jabbing them in the ribs to make them feel alive..?
I don't. Just the contrary.

skullart = :dedhorse:

have a nice day. :popcorn:

danielo_d

Enlightened
Had a cognitive leap and this jumped to my mind...

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?
Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let
her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must
come; make her laugh at that."

Translation:

chickenhamlet.jpg

The skull reminds us of our inevitable end in this life. Hamlet [or the chicken] ponders what the meaning of life is.

Sorry, back on topic...

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The skull crowd is much like those pathetic loser high school Goth brats who have black trench coats, black fingernails and black hair. They attempt to show how individual they are by dressing up just like all of the other folks who are showing how individual they are.

I have spoken. :)

Edited: I see that Abtomat made a similar connection above.

cheers

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
pn said:
They attempt to show how individual they are by dressing up just like all of the other folks who are showing how individual they are.

Just like anybody else then, hm? They just chose a different outfit and style and maybe even philosophy than most of the other lemmings we call humans ... it is always the same pattern, just the scale differs.
What gives you the right to call them losers? Maybe it is the same thing that grants them the right to call you a loser, too?

The human race has come far indeed.

bernie

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
What gives you the right to call them losers?

The right, which I would call a privilege, is the same one that allowed you to just call the rest of us lemmings. It is the free exchange of ideas.

In the interest of good CPF behavior, which I am sometimes lacking, the remainder is edited out. :)

best regards

Last edited:

Sturluson

Enlightened
On general principle, I agree with Bernie. But more needs to be said...

Our lives are not static. Very few Goths will be Goth when they are thirty, or even twenty-five. Perhaps the Gothic experience will have been necessary in order to let them move on to what they would be next, and will be next (oh the verb tenses, oh the humanity!).

We do not all move in lockstep, or a straight continuum. Sometimes we need a break. Sometimes we need a new perspective, or to try out a new skin. Sometimes we make valuable mistakes.

I think we all deserve a break, today and everyday.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
powernoodle ... I did not call "you" lemmings, I meant all of us as this behaviour is part of human nature. Mine included.

And why should those Goth people adhere to the same values and principles as you do? Why can't they have priorities different than yours? Yet you judge them by your standards, where their only chance is to fail and be treated as losers ... which they might see totally different. Unfair IMHO. It is not your place to devalue their position as long as there is no further harm done. Tolerance is a virtue.

Sturluson ... good points!

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey! I am tolerating you! I am even tolerating your opinion, as no one is void of unfair opinions and traits. I just could not let it stay here uncontested.
And yes ... time for a grouphug :grouphug:
bernie :wave:

Edit disclaimer: I am not a Goth :D

Sturluson

Enlightened
Powernoodle, your rant against Goths could have been me on another day or even at another hour. That's the quirky nature of our race. We inspire each other, defy each other, and, ultimately, tolerate each other, as you said.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a teen a girlfriend and I would sometimes dress as vagrants and sit on a street corner in Toronto, it was something she was doing as project.. I was amazed at how a person could treat another just because of a physical appearance.. It was one of those turning points in my life.
Shy is now a psychiatrist.
Prior to this thread I thought the skull signified one thing to many people, it is encouraging to see how many different levels it has in our culture. :)