What's The Big Deal With Skulls?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo said:
Wow, I apologize if I stirred anything up on this subject. I'm Sorry if I offended anyone.

You did not offend me.:)

I find it ironic that some feel that death is a bad thing. If you believe in a certain someone there really is no death, but eternal life. The only question I have is will I be using the same skull then, a newer improved model or none at all.:thinking:

EDIT: When I was in High School Goth did not even exist......but niether did the handheld calculator or PC. :green:

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh boy...i have a ram (sheep) skull, Texas long horn and a Black african Wilderbeast all on my bed room walls...

I am the evil flashlight god!!!! >>Inset evil laugh<< HA HA HA HA AH lol

drizzle said:
Skulls have long been associated with evil; whether it's piracy, headhunting, cults, etc. I think that's what he was getting at. I also think that's part of what draws people to them.

Personally, they are not to my taste but I have no problem with others liking and displaying them.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree... My girlfriend was "goth" when we were in high School and still goes to goth clubs sometimes... I use to tell her it was a cry for help. A way for people who don't fit in to identify each other and "fit" into society. She doesn't agree and after reading these posts, I believe I was wrong

Sub_Umbra said:
Note: A facination with skulls does not necessarily translate into GOTH. For you latecomers it should be noted that skulls have been on the scene millions of years before GOTH reared it's (really) ugly head. It's no big deal. I will confess, however, that I like skulls so much that I keep my brain in one. :D

My wife is into skulls. Oh yeah. If you were unlucky enough to find yourself in any room of my house with your little flashlight at night you would be unable to count all the skulls. Actually, it all works out -- if you break into my house I'll end up with your light -- and she'll end up with your skull. Say goodnight, Gracey...

Don't sweat the skulls -- in the 21st century there are thousands of things that threaten you far more than the thing you keep your brain in...unless you break into my house...that's entirely something else again...

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
sometimes I'm out of my skull..

littltle skull story
6 or 7 years ago the coyotes ate my first cat. A year later I found a skull on top of the hill, bare and white in the sun. I have had it for years but haven't yet taken it to the vet to find out if it's Connie.. but it's not on display or anything..

:tinfoil:

cbxer55

Enlightened
My ex brother-in-law was into the goth thing. He had skulls everywhere, lights, keyrings, shirts, stickers, I mean everywhere you looked skulls. Drove me nuts! Kinda sorta glad he is an ex!

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
my hot sauce came with a skull keychain... The stuff is UNREAL hot..

i'ts called "possible side effects may occur"

I think it was from www.deathsauce.com... totally extream..

Not like any of us can relate to being extream about anything LOL

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked the question and I see where skulls are really, really, REALLY a big deal!

To the green lantern or whomever you are and you sure have a lot of time on your hands,
I guess I shouldn't have brought up the "Christian" question but I consider myself a Christian and just wondered why any Christian would even want to go near carrying stuff as ugly as the skulls proliferating nowadays on their flashlights or knives. If you choose to do so, wear them proudly to church with my blessings.

I love where another member states; "I don't follow fads" yet he proudly displays tons of skulls for all to see. Good for you brother! Stay true to your skulls but please, don't say you don't follow fads as of course you do.

Listen folks, I'm not against skulls but they're butt ugly and you young guys didn't invent them in popular culture but I know you think you did. They were popular WAY back and all I'm trying to say I hated them before you were born and I still do.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bernie,
I can't believe you entered this tirade. The skulls of the catacombs are NOT WORSHIPPED per se. They might be worshipped to a very small minority in your Europe but people go there to WORSHIP the strength of these early Christian people to their religion and to which they gave their lives. That's a big difference to what you described and should be noted.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene said:
I love where another member states; "I don't follow fads" yet he proudly displays tons of skulls for all to see. Good for you brother! Stay true to your skulls but please, don't say you don't follow fads as of course you do.

Hey, that is directed at me so you asked for it, I have enjoyed skulls since the early 70's, long before goth and if that is a fad it is the longest running fad in history. Fad by it's very definition implies doing something in the short term only because every one else does.

BTW I am not your brother with that tone.:rant::whoopin::grin2:

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Gene said:
I asked the question and I see where skulls are really, really, REALLY a big deal!

To the green lantern or whomever you are and you sure have a lot of time on your hands,
I guess I shouldn't have brought up the "Christian" question but I consider myself a Christian and just wondered why any Christian would even want to go near carrying stuff as ugly as the skulls proliferating nowadays on their flashlights or knives. If you choose to do so, wear them proudly to church with my blessings.

Listen folks, I'm not against skulls but they're butt ugly and you young guys didn't invent them in popular culture but I know you think you did. They were popular WAY back and all I'm trying to say I hated them before you were born and I still do.

You asked a question and you got answered. For that you try to insult people?:thumbsdow For someone that publicly professes their religion you might try to pay more attention in Sunday school.

Empath

Flashaholic
Enough! Advising one another as to their religious or spiritual inadequacies is not a permissible activity here. Opinion about a particular belief, when delivered correctly, can be informative and reasonable debate. Addressing other members directly to advise of their short comings is not.

The thread is presently at risk of closure. Try saving it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Gene said:
Hey Bernie,
I can't believe you entered this tirade. The skulls of the catacombs are NOT WORSHIPPED per se. They might be worshipped to a very small minority in your Europe but people go there to WORSHIP the strength of these early Christian people to their religion and to which they gave their lives. That's a big difference to what you described and should be noted.

Oh ... a misunderstanding! The Paris catacombs are not a place to worship anything, they are a giant graveyard for about 4 million people ... the bones got transported there once the graveyards were full. The pest and some wars in early Europe, you know, liberated a lot of people of their earthly lives.
It seems that the workers who did this showed some dark humour and put it in writing and the bones in patterns. The few altars you find down there are genuine.

As I said ... a skull is a symbol, and a very powerful one at that. You may like it or not, but to me it is very understandable that it is used fairly often, strong as it is. Nothing astonishing here.

Personally ... I "worship" the skull for its perfection, its complex architecture, its excessively delicate construction and its complicated way of becoming what it is. AND ... I like the "fear-factor", too ... reminds me of my coming end one day.

bernie