Strider GB
ARC LSHP
Surefire L5,L6
2004 Harley XLC
Sony CyberShot U
Canon Digital Rebel
Conway Leather helmet
Samsung "Smart phone"
etc............................................

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
kool red Datsun
how about a couple pictures of the engine for my collection.
I have an old grand am with the HO quad four.
I had the intake manifold-cylinder head and exhaust manifold
extrude honed. I did some other mods to it-very quick for a four banger. very reliable too.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
erm - let me think
Longbow Micra -HA clickie (i love this light)
Spyderco Rescue and Delica
Ricoh CaplioRR211 digital camera
Canon Eos 300 (rebel 2000 in US) 35mm camera
and - although i dont own her - my girlfriend

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
There have been times when I've been way thankful for my Canon EOS 650 35mm. I kinda like my Sony FD90, but at only 1.3mp it's very long of tooth.

I got to get a WAY more powerful (USB/Firewire) MUCH bigger HD before I even DREAM of a digital Rebel!!!

I have a way short zoom for my 35mm (something like 18-32 or so - not here in front of me) which comes in very handy at some airshows!!!

Spudman

Enlightened
Markdi wanted to see a picture of my engine. Here it is, although the carburetors are about all you see. Thanks for the interest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
engine.jpg

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the picture. It looks like your exhaust manifold and intake manifold are on the same side of the head.
It is not cross flow.
The exhaust manifold would tend to heat up the intake runners in the head and the intake manifold and the Carburetors and air filter assembly. this lowers air/fuel charge density. You need a cold air induction system like the one on my car. It has a large hose that connects to a canister air filter assembly. Available at any junk-yard.
The air filter canister sits down low (heat rises) on the frame rail and it draws cold air from under the car.
If I disconnect the hose from the cold air induction and draw hot under hood air the power loss is very noticeable
I would put a heat insulating wrap on the exhaust manifold tubes.
I bet the radiator does a good job of heating up the
area that your engine is drawing air from.
you might see 5 to 7(maybe more) percent more power especially on a cold day. maybe some one made a after-market cross flow cylinder head for that engine.
sorry I am sorta into engines.

Spudman

Enlightened
Uhh, ummm, okay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Actually, I do know what you're talking about. The car has a little scoop on the hood to allow some cool air over the top of the engine, and it runs best on cool days and before the engine gets really hot. I've heard of cold air induction systems being added to the Datsuns. My next step though is going to be a performance air filter so the mikunis can breathe better.

Mark, feel free to come to Kentucky and bring all your tools. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

haley1

Enlightened
Mint Black Nikkormat FTN, Wiggy's sleeping bag, Gregory Mountain backpack, the knife my uncle made for me from an old saw blade with a sheath made by a Kalamath(?) indian neighbor, Remington pump .22, SF Aviator, the GI Joe I got from my grandmother for Christmas in 1968. It's kind of weird what we value.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fender Stratocasters. Especially the Warmoth one I built that is Teal green metallic and Nitro Lacqured with a Pao Ferro fingerboard. And my 63' sunburst Jaguar I bought for $200 in 1981 or so and I just saw one in similar condition at Guitar center for $2400. And no it is not for sale.

Gameboy SP for all those hours spent waiting at airports and flying.

After that it is usually my most recent purchases.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
My favorite material possessions are:

- 2004 Jeep Wrangler
- Tiffany silver bracelet & Longines watch (girly, I know - both gifts from the husband)
- Sony digital camera
- Our house

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The body was alder, premade and the neck is maple with the Pao Ferro fingerboard, just like Stevie Ray's. I got it to be different, can't tell any diffenence in sound. I sanded it, sealed and painted it. Shot the neck with a "vintage tinted" clear lacquer and then rubbed the whole thing out with Meguiar's polishes. I went for the semi-matte like surface years before Fender. The pickguard is known in guitar circles as "Mother of Toilet Seat" aka white pealoid. Attached to Seymour Duncan Hot Stack humbucker pickups. Even though it looks like a trem unit it is a hardtail. I just used a stock bridge. Good ol' Leo did not change hole mount spacings when switching from a trem to a non trem.

Oh, yes, the pics. I left them sideways to take up less room.

guitar1.jpg

guitar2.jpg

My cost in materials was about 350. A Mexico Strat retails here for about the same and a American Standard is about 550. My most used one is a 60's reissue from Mexico in Burgandy Mist (pinkish purple) with a trem. Mostly I annoy my parakeets with the noise.

Spudman

Enlightened
Nice work Pellidon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Do you by any chance know which wood is lighter in weight, the alder or the ash? I've looked at Strats and Teles with both woods, but Fender doesn't list the weights on their guitars.

...and where does one buy parts to build their own Stratocaster? Seems like a neat thing to do.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ash is the heavier of the two. Ash can weigh anywhere from 5-9 pounds for a Strat body where alder is in the 4-5 pound range. Fender traditionally used Ash for the clear or transparent finishes because of the grain patterns. Alder was for opaque colors as it has no grain of distinction. Of course they did not always hold fast to that rule. Most Mexico made units have Poplar bodies which is very close to Alder.

I got the wood from Warmouth parts. The hardware I got locally from IRC, Guitar Center, Mars (when they were around) and now Sam Ash. Stewart MacDonald in Ohio is a good source if they are still around for parts.

Spudman

Enlightened
Thanks Pellidon,

I was thinking ash might be lighter because they make some "lite ash" models. I have an early '80's "elite" model strat that weighs a ton. I'm old now and my back gives me fits at times. Looking at the best ways to lighten the load and still play a strat, and I know that sounds kinda pathetic.

You've been a big help.

Gary

Latest posts