whats the most ya ever spent on pc parts?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
In 1996 I bought a Kodak DC50 digital Camera. $950. The word "megapixil" hadn't been invented yet. I think it had a max of about 200k. It had a 1mb internal memory or you used a PCMCIA flash memory card. From the factory in held 7 high quality or 22 low res. photos unless you bought the high dollar memory card. I bought a 16mb card and I don't remember what it cost but it was real sporty.

One of the advertising companies that we use still uses a DC40.

matt_j

Enlightened
The DC50 was the one that looked like binoculars and you held them by the side?

I think few pct in NYC still use them for perp photos and filing.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Nikon CP990 for nearly a grand in 2000. I'll still stack it up against any 3 megpixel camera out there for picture quality.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
rofl that wild a less then meg cam for 1 grand almost today ya can get a like 8 megapixel cam for like 3 hundred.and a 1 gig card for ya cam for like 70

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend spent about $500 for a specially made Hard Drive that held like 450 Gigs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif ( A lot if you ask me)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man thats a lot s space thouh baker i seem use more then 4 gigs but i need my harddrive fast as hect

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this past weekend I forgot where, but an advertised one terabyte (1000g) drive for like $900. It was an external unit and quite bulky looking so I'm almost sure it must be more then one hard drive in the enclosure.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
1991: $100 for a 1mb stick of RAM (72pin simm 100-80ns) for a 386 @ 16mhz

The 4mb stick was $400

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Most people remember when RAM was $40 a meg. I think people remember $40 because we were all so excited when the price dropped to $40 a mb. We did a big group buy at work when it hit $40 because we just knew the price would go back up. I bought (2) 8mb chips for my Gateway 66mhz DX2 and my wife about had a fit.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Way back in 1987ish, my parents bought me a $16,000 on a Mac II with 16MB of memory, dual 100MB HD, Telebit Trail Blazer 9600bps modem, 17" Sony Trinitron Monitor, HP LaserJet III, Number 9 video card with 4 MB of RAM or was it 8? The MacII had a DayStar 68040 upgrade card and PC Emulation and some other stuff. Yes, $16,000 it that wasn't that crazy, the average Mac configuration back then was $8,000!

Computer prices back then were just crazy. Those who were round know what I'm talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing I never had much money during the days when I was in computers (eternally broke student). I did get into a lot of bad deals though when it would have been better to buy a decent piece of kit rather than buy the cheapest possible (even though that's all I could afford), because the cheapest would break and I would end up spending more money to replace it than if I had just bought the good stuff from day 0.

But it always shoots over peoples' heads when I retell that lesson... just because you're broke doesn't mean you can't save money in the long run. I've been there and done it, lived to regret it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Back in the day the USRobotics Courier was the be-all-end-all modem, and it would have set me back $600. Of course that was a ridiculous figure that could never be justified by any means. Over the next five years I went through each and every bulls$#t modem, buying replacement after replacement after replacement, now that I total it up it comes to around $500.

At the end of the journey I saw a Courier in a shop window for $200 (prices fell over the half decade). I threw down the last instalment ever and bought the Courier. Total money spent? $700. Total heartache and countless hours of debugging modems? Too many to count. The only good thing about the whole debacle was that when I finally ended up working for an ISP as an analog dial engineer, all the experience debugging the damned things came in useful...except that I'd be debugging customer modems and no longer my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It doesn't beat most of the folks here in terms of $$, but to me on that kind of budget it was a ridiculous amount of money and the amount of time thrown away would be the greatest cost.

Ahh computers, bottomless pit that sucks money into it. And we think lights are bad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif heck them lights are saving me money!