Your thoughts on Malkoff MDC AA

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailstanding is an absolute must for me. I have CR123 model and planned to mount a McGizmo clip on it but tried the clip from a Streamlight ProTac 2L and it works perfectly. Extremely secure. Pocket carries great, excellent added grip and tailstands. I think you can buy these clips online for less than $5. Love my MDC. Not the most powerful light but just really well built with great beam and a simple no bs UI. Think McGizmo Haiku-lite. ;) Though unlike the Haiku these are fully potted and have contact springs at both ends of the battery compartment. Sometimes when I would tailstand my Haiku and set it down it would switch modes inadvertently. MDC won't do that no matter how hard you slam it.

2a3e4566bd6c2db67966331a2a99353a.jpg
[/Q
See that r123 size looks like it would be much better in hand. That looks to be more the size of an average AA light. Thanks again everyone. Ya'lls responses really helped with my decision.

Last edited:

rdnesh69

Newly Enlightened
The mdc is definitely not going to disappear in the pocket like most 1xaa lights will. I have the 16650 version and it's similar in size to the aa, except for the length I think. And it feels bulkier in pocket than most of my small 18650 lights due to the large head diameter. Also I went with that size because tail stand is a must and mine has the non deep carry clip. I would say overall if you want an indestructible light with very usable output and perfect smooth operation every time then you'll like it. If you want the aa for the size you probably won't be impressed.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or another clip can be purchased and installed.

I too have been looking at this light for sometime now but hate the pocket clip. anyone know if you can replace the clip with the overready pocket clip with the provided screws or will you have to mod it? How about the Haiku pocket clip? Just looks very nice and functional with the other pocket clip.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hole spacing isn't the same for McGizmo. Not sure about Oveready. Also the screw size is smaller than McGizmo 4/40 screws. I have drilled and tapped a MDC to mount a McGizmo clip in the past. I was going to do it with my current light but the Streamlight option works so dang good I don't have a reason to right now.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hole spacing isn't the same for McGizmo. Not sure about Oveready. Also the screw size is smaller than McGizmo 4/40 screws. I have drilled and tapped a MDC to mount a McGizmo clip in the past. I was going to do it with my current light but the Streamlight option works so dang good I don't have a reason to right now.

Well darn, I may have to try the Streamlight Protac 2L pocket clip then. Thanks.

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
i thought i would leave a comment hear! just placed my order on the malkoff sight for this MDC-CR123 version of this light,but i see they have changed the pocket clip on this light! its no longer a deep-carry of witch i did like,i think that Mr.malkoff has listened to people saying they couldn't tail stand this light because of the clip!i would have liked the older one,but thats o-kay with me because i'll probably be changing,and adding the streamlight protac 2L)if i can get one!this is what happens when i spend to much time hanging around this place!i spend to much money!!i see new stuff and up buying it,that ant good.:shakehead

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I'm sure you'll love it. Post your thoughts on the light once you've had some time with it. :thumbsup:
i thought i would leave a comment hear! just placed my order on the malkoff sight for this MDC-CR123 version of this light,but i see they have changed the pocket clip on this light! its no longer a deep-carry of witch i did like,i think that Mr.malkoff has listened to people saying they couldn't tail stand this light because of the clip!i would have liked the older one,but thats o-kay with me because i'll probably be changing,and adding the streamlight protac 2L)if i can get one!this is what happens when i spend to much time hanging around this place!i spend to much money!!i see new stuff and up buying it,that ant good.:shakehead

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
To wake this thread up a bit,
Does MDC have low voltage protection? If I put a rechargeable in it, will it fry it, or just stop working at a certain voltage level?
Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Edit: Water resistance? No info on that also.

Last edited:

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
To wake this thread up a bit,
Does MDC have low voltage protection? If I put a rechargeable in it, will it fry it, or just stop working at a certain voltage level?
Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Edit: Water resistance? No info on that also.

i can only chime in for water resistance . i had a mdc 1xaa clipped to my pocket when i went for light swimming and held up very well. didn't have water seep in . other than that it has been dunked at work in water and splashed.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
If you put the crenelated bezel on it you won't see those 3 notches that are bothering you.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Never really thought about getting an AA light from Malkoff. Got a bunch of nice AA lights but figured I'd give one a try and see how I like them. All I can say is WOW! My2XAA is regular cool white and sits next to the bed at night. My 1XAA is neutral and might just take its place. They are fantastic AA lights. Shouldn't of waiting so long to try them out
3-D32-B8-EB-A009-4-C56-8-A93-8236-D2-B3-C0-FB.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know they really are. I have some very nice AA lights and held off long as I could on these. Should of known I'd fall in love with them. The single AA is in neutral and makes a great low level bed light.i won't be loaning it out due to the fact that it's not protected against reverse polarity. Lol who am I kidding, I wouldn't loan it out period.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Lol who am I kidding, I wouldn't loan it out period.

Good call there. :thumbsup:

I have a few AAA Maratacs and Mag-Lites around here if it comes to that. Nobody's getting a primo flashlight, I don't care if it's the zombie apocalypse or not. :laughing:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes it does. Nice light. I think there were some issues with the older clips making it wobble. Genes newer clips are flush. But tail standing is a must for me.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
My favorite Malkoff MDC remains the 1CR123 body with a VME head. It can use any of the M31 drop-ins with a CR123A battery, or any of the M61 drop-ins using a 16340 Li-ion cell. My current preferred configuration is a M61NLL with a 16340 740mAh cell, which provides plenty of general purpose brightness with hours of runtime. I'm also using an UCL glass lens in the VME head.

The setup shown below weighs 3.8 ounces and rides in a front pants pocket quite comfortably.

malkoff-5.jpg