gone

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: good news / bad news :AA boosters

Sweet... Dan, could a person tap more threads into the end of these to alleviate the problem with the Kroll, or is the ID turned down too much to tap any more past the current threads? When will these be up on B/S/T? I believe I asked you about one of these in a PM recently. Thanks.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Yes, you could tap them a little more, but it's easyer to just trim the thread on the Kroll.
I'm not sure when these will be for sale. I am working on a "head" to hold a badboy or madmax on the end of these, and then I will need to make a front end to hold the optics.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan

Any plans to make more AAAA's? I have 2 and I like them better than the Arc AAA's.

I bought some 9" lanyards from a guy in Canada (1 end bulldog - 1 end mini-clip) and these lights have become a family pet (I "walk" them on a leash).

Poor humor aside, if you make some more I'll take a couple.

Marty

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Yes Marty, I hope to make more. I had no idea they would sell so fast. I can't say when, but I will make more when I get the chance.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey, CNC Dan...

any possibility of creating a side-by side battery compartment for AA or AAA? or perhaps a triangular configuration for AAA?

this configuration would be much more pocketable...

Bob

CNC Dan

Enlightened

OK, today I added an undercut to the threads to allow the Kroll tailcap to thread in like it should. I also had to polish them as I forgot to take them out of the sink when I was washing them. I have hard water and the minerals left a stain on them.

Now, how much should I charge for them?

Oh, BTW I am working on a two piece head that can go onto these and holds a BADBOY/MADMAX pill. So you can make your own flashlight with one, two, three, or more AA cells. Cool huh?

If we get real slow at work, I'll see about doing a large run of these and having them anodized and/or laser inscribed.

But for now I just need to chose a price and start selling.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I am in. I think they should be about $5-10, but what do I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I think you should decide on cost based on material/labor costs, with a bit of profit for yourself for the trouble you've gone through making them. I think it would be cool to have the flexibility to make your own personally sized light. A single AA LS light this size would be sweet, but I'll have to go see if the converters will work on 1.5v. Count me in for at least 1 of your extensions when you start selling them. :RESERVED: Thanks for your hard work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

---edit---
Yep, the MadMax will work down to 0.8v, I should have known that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif The BadBoy is rated for a minumum of 1.6v though, so I don't think it would work very long with a single AA though. I would love a single AA MadMax light, please do this! Let me know when you get the head unit done, as I am in for one of those as well. :RESERVED: Thanks!!!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with LEDmodMan in all that he said. It would be very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to have an AA LS light, and also the fact that you could combine multiple comparment (at least that what i get from your last post, Dan) to get brighter and/or longer run time left me begging for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif . When these become available, please make sure i am on your list. Again, the price range should be include your cost, your labor and also your profit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

This is a little bit off subject, but nonetheless related.

Isn't it a "bad thing" to run a BadBoy/MadMax on 3 cells?

Obviously you don't want to exceed the Vf of the Luxeon, but for those who have low-binned emitters this is quite possible even when using NiCd or NiMH cells. If you're using Alkaline or Lithium AA's, then you're waaay up there.

Have people done this without blowing up their BadBoy/MadMax?

CNC Dan

Enlightened

That's the best part of a badboy. It's output current regulated. Higher input voltage = lower input current = longer runtime. The madmax ,as I understand it, has an adjustment thingy and you might have to adjust it lower when running on more cells, or adjust it higher on one cell.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

3aa design would be good for DD.
In the pic the thing looks squarish...? what gives?

I think you could make a run of these if they looked good enough. Like A/AA ones with converters, and then super short compact AAA dd ones with anodizing. Then let the buyers pick their favorite luxeon or even offer finished ones. I'd say have the head made for nx05/nx01 size optics would be fine for a small flashlight like this.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

The lowest voltage bin for green / cyan / blue / royal blue / white 1W Luxeons (bin J) ranges from 2.79V - 3.03V which means that anything more than 2 cells could conceivably be disastrous. I don't think fresh Alkaline or Lithium cells are going to drop .5V each under a 400/500mA load--so unless you have a bin K or L your Vin would exceed your Vout spec, wouldn't it?

amtrak

Newly Enlightened

It looks like a good "packaging" mod idea,
I'd buy a couple just for plug-n-play experimentation.

Mrd 74

Enlightened

Post pics when you have the 2 piece head finished,I'd love a 1 AA home for my MadMax.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

JSWrightOC:
As I understand it, you are somewhat correct. I believe Wayne says it is bad to run a MadMax on 3 batteries with a 1 watt LS unless you have and unusually high Vf one (like the current Q3L upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and even then you're going to have trouble because it's a DC-DC step-UP converter. I think he also said the BadBoy is OK on three cells since it's current regulated.

CNCDan:
Can't wait to see the finished head pieces. I am looking forward to my new single AA 1 watt "pocket" light. Only slightly bigger than the Ultra-G, but a heck of a lot brighter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like IsaacHayes asked, will it hold both the LS sandwich and an NX-05 optic?

JSWrightOC

Enlightened

I think as long as your Vout (Vf of the Luxeon) is higher than your Vin, you are fine. So, you could measure the Vf of the LED on your module, and if your total battery voltage is less, you're fine. For instance, a Q3L emitter would probably work fine on 3 NiMH cells. Don't forget that there will be a slight voltage drop under load, which helps in this case. I don't think even a Q3L will do well on 3 Alkaline or 1.5V Lithium cells, though.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

I am currently looking for what Dat2zip said regarding this. I think it's buried somewhere, so I'll post when I find it. I think his view on this topic is probably the one to go with. The Wizard boards he is currently working on will negate this situation though, as they are of a buck/boost setup.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Ok, found it. Basically, 3 AA's are bad for BB/MM, don't do it unless you want to risk killing something, since there is not much heatsinking with this setup. Now if you heatsink it all... (Don't blame me if it dies though)

here, look at post #122654 by Dat2zip

and here, look at post #122693 - 122706.

Hope this helps. Can't wait for my single AA powered LS... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened

OK I'm going to try to answer a bunch of questions in one post.

Cost will be $12 ea for the extension tubes, coming soon to a B/S/T forum near you.

LEDmodMan: The MADMAX running down to 0.8 V is what I had in mind for the new head, and NMIH at three cells rather than two with the BADBOY. If the Wizard can buck/boost that will be great!! Will the Wizard be the same length as MM and BB?

shiftd: Price. If I charged full shop price for these then no one could afford them. That's why I have such a hard time fixing a price. I have a hard time figuring the value of a rare custom CNC mod.

IsaacHayes: The Pic is from a flat bed scanner. I assure you that they are not square. (square threads are a ***** to screw together)
The head I am working on is being designed around the BB pill and the optics that dat2zip sells. It will seal with O-rings and 'should' be water proof.

Mrd 74: I may be able to post a link to a gif of the "plans" showing a cross section.pic

LEDmodMan: The head will hold the optics and a BB or MM, and will need the Kroll tailcap switch.

LEDmodMan: I ran a BB 500 on three NIMH one time. Check the archives, I posted runtimes.

I have to go get supper now.