Spotted at Sears Hardware, a new light.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Almost has to be a Dorcy of some sort of another.

It has 5 LEDS (all seem to be 5MM) and uses 4AA in a side by side by side config.

It has a metal body with plastic ends.

One LED is behind a focusing dot for 'spot', and four are for general lighting.

It isn't clear to me how the switching works.

It has a price of $19.99 on it, as well as Sears lifetime guarantee.

I would already have one, but I can't afford to pay attention!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Was it this one?

Craftsman LED/Xenon Flashlight
03493668000-dlv.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Maybe, but I would swear I read something like 130 hours on the single beam... that would not be very likely in a LED, impossible in a xenon!

It looks like the light in that pic however.

When finances improve, I'll be the guinea pig.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does it have the Dorcy spare bulb holder?!?!?!?!?! ;P

Three modes Sliding I think on the switch. 4 Area lights, one central focused spot and the full monty, so to speak.

I couldn't test the switch, they used adult proof industrial titanium plastic for the package.

Looks just like that photo above (less bulb holder). A Boss light on Steroids.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two similar looking lights; one has 4 leds/xenon and is pictured above and on the Sears website. The other, which I saw in a local Sears, has 4 leds/1 center led for a total of 5. The center one has a focusing lens and is set up high in the reflector on a pedestal.

I couldn't find the 4 led/xenon one locally, so I will order one online and be the guinea pig. My hope is that the xenon is PR based, and will swap with an Everled. Actually, the 5 led version looks like it may also be PR based. Someone could check. As for the bulb holder, the led only version seems to have just a fob on the end, whereas the xenon version has the actual holder for a spare bulb. They seem to have done away with the battery power 3 color led from their rubber version of the "boss" - too bad.

If the 5 led version could host an Everled, would the 4AA be able to run the 4 leds and the LS all together? The switch would have a choice for this, but you'd be upping the current demand a good 300mA extra for the LS vs 5th led.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the 5 LED version last night. Typical Dorcy ruggedness. It uses a click switch, that's why I coudln't slide it thru the clear titanium packaging. It almost seems as bright to my eye as my Dorcy 2C. They did a good job matching the reflector to the bulbs on this one IMO.

As far as an everled, Typical AA batteries can submit somewhere around 2300 mah so it would run full bore for a couple of hours at least. I am getting fairly decent running on a DD Double barrel (3DB?) with about two to three hours on two parallel AA packs and 900 ma.

But aren't everleds side emitters? I think you would lose use of the spot lens which may or may not be an issue.

Heat dissipation would be my concern. The stainless is only a jacket around the plastic inner shell. There is only plastic in the bulb area with minimal metal conductors.

I just realized I haven't bought an everled yet. I guess I am an unworthy flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

steve_vance

Enlightened
according to Mike at Dorcy, it IS a Dorcy, manufactured under contract exclusively for Craftsman. They will be selling the same light, without the stainless steel shroud, under the Dorcy name, in about 30 days

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Pellidon, is the 5 led version PR (maglite-type) bulb compatible?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a PR base bulb. And the polarity is backwards. The Positive is connected to the shell.

Empath

Flashaholic
If you load the batteries backward, then the outer LED lamps wouldn't light.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two metal tabs rivited to the battery contact plate that lead over to the PR bulb socket. It wouldn't take much to alter that setup to turn it around to the correct setup. Fortunately I think the + lead for the center bulb and the ring of four are the two switched leads. The full six volts comes off the two switch leads so the resistors are in the PR bulb base and in the circuit board for the gang of four. Then an everled or one of the other drop in bulbs would work but the current bulb would then need swapping to work from that point forward.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good setup, once the polarity for the PR socket is reversed. I have the led/xenon version ordered; I wonder how many stages the switch has (leds/PR/all?). I thought it would be cool to have an all led "hybrid" light. In particular, I thought it would be a good host for a colored LS. They always have the wow factor and usually are significantly brighter than their white cousins, but are detracted due to their overall loss of color definition. However, one could use the colored main beam to good effect, and then switch over to the 4 leds for up close viewing, thereby getting the best of both worlds. Obviously, an white LS would also make this an extremely versatile light.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
picked the 5 led version up today! pretty tough and cool light. yes my thinking right off the bat was to use the everled but to my dismay, reverse polarity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I guess i could break down and buy the "diamond"(reverse polarity) everled to work in this light.......or i could try and mod it.

anyways, click the switch once and the center pr-based led comes on which projects a spot(albeit purplish) through the special optic-like lense. click again and it switches to the 4 surrounding leds which are slightly bluish but much better than the center led's spot beam. brightness is not quite on par with a SL 4aa 7led but the beam "spread" is close to the same. the 4 led "flood" mode actually seems to project farther than the single focused led mode????(that's why i want an everled to try out) click the 3rd time and all 5 leds are on. this fills in the center of the beam a bit better and makes it a tad brighter. the funny thing is now the center led doesn't seem so purple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif click again and the light goes off.

overall i like this light but would really like to use a luxeon pr-based bulb in it.

if i reverse the way the batteries go in to try out my everled, will it damage the other leds(i know they won't light)?

anyone want to lend me a reverse polarity/"diamond" everled for testing and reviewings sake?

i also just picked up a digital camera today(Canon A80) so i suppose pics are possible.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
indenial said:
I love my 5 LED three stage Craftsman/Dorcy utility light. It's my favorite non-luxeon!

dorcy5led(sears).jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

there she is! yeah it is a pretty nice light, very durable too!

if i can't get an everled to work in it im gonna "glovebox" it.(maybe for my wifes car.....)

i tried putting in the batteries backwards just now to use my everled but it didn't work????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
The new Dorcy 3-stage [1, 4, 5LED] non-Luxeon "L.E.D. Hybrid" based on 5 LEDS is
Dorcy part# 41-4270 UPC: 035355442700 and ships with 4AA