Just Venting - Are People Stupid?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of this happened to me TODAY between the hours of 9 AM and 10:30 AM. No kidding.

1. Went through the drive-thru at Del Taco and ordered a Macho Bacon & Egg Burrito. Got it home and started to eat it and realized there was no bacon at all. I'm not talking about a little bacon, there was no evidence of bacon.

So while I'm chewing on the burrito, I look at the bag and it asks "How Are We Doing?" I call the 800 number and it rings and rings and rings. After about 7 or 8 rings, a recording comes on giving the hours of the hotline (opens 2 hours before my call). I left a detailed message and my phone number on the voicemail but don't expect any response.

2. I get my Mobil/Exxon bill in the mail and, for the 3rd consecutive month, it has some variation of my correct address. I called the 800 number and the CS person said very matter-of-factly that it is now corrected. This is my third phone call for an address change and I have very little faith that it is indeed corrected.

3. In the same morning mailing, I get an envelope from Experian (the credit reporting people). Inside is one page, printed on both sides spelling out California law about every possible thing that can happen to you in dealing with a credit reporting agency and listing a credit report number (I wrote to them several weeks ago since my report contains an address from 20 years ago that is not mine). I call the 800 number and the CS rep says "how can I help you". I said "You sent me a bunch of legalese but no report". He says, "Well, you received a letter that we sent you". I say, "Ya, I realize that but where is the report?" He says "Oh, that was mailed the day after the letter that you just received but you can go to our website and look at it now".

I go to the website and try to get the report but the screen keeps asking me for the dispute number. I don't have the dispute number. It was never mentioned on the phone or in the dumb letter they sent me. I guess that I'll just wait for the "second wave" of mail to come tomorrow.

Marty

Eric_M

Enlightened
See, all of this could have been avoided if you hadn't gotten that burrito for breakfast.

I had one of those days a couple of weeks ago. Makes you wonder.

Eric

Darell

Flashaholic
Oooh, I hate those days! Eric said it - makes you wonder.

I remember buying a new motorcycle part, and it arrived obviously used. I called the dealer to return it and described how I'd paid for a new one, and that's what I wanted. Sent it back in, and two weeks later got a call that the product had been shipped BACK TO ME because they can't accept returns of used product. Hello?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stupid people are always blissfully unaware of their stupidity. Chances are, a stupid person will post on this thread, agreeing with everyone.

Joe "I'm just hoping it's not me" T

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted this before but it answers your question in a more lengthy manner than a simple YES.

It's been suggested that the amount of intelligence on the planet remains constant but gets divided amongst the ever increasing population. We're all in trouble. How else can you explain why people either don't vote or continue to elect the same politicians that keep screwing them?

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Entropy,by any other name.
Expect more as the Universe winds down over the next 50 billion or so years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
...It's been suggested that the amount of intelligence on the planet remains constant but gets divided amongst the ever increasing population...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

Brightnorm

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
When this kind of stuff happens, you have to remember that the average IQ out there is 100......and guess what kind of jobs the lower half are holding.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
I've posted this before but it answers your question in a more lengthy manner than a simple YES.

It's been suggested that the amount of intelligence on the planet remains constant but gets divided amongst the ever increasing population. We're all in trouble. How else can you explain why people either don't vote or continue to elect the same politicians that keep screwing them?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!!!!!

i think many would be SHOCKED at how dim some of my co-workers can be...docs, nurses, professors, researchers, biologists. folks that are supposed to be intelligent.

i order, set-up, maintain, adjust etc. epidurals and narcotic pumps--most often for post op patients.
while it does take a bit of knowlege, it is not rocket science.

with the narcotic pumps, here it is in a nutshell:

you give more medication until the person is either satisfied with pain control, or they become too sleepy (narcs sedate and decrease respirations--a person can die if given too much).
sometimes, a person becomes too sleepy BEFORE good pain control is achieved, but you still have to back off on the narcs.

now all of my CPF friends know more than about 80% of the docs at the university of michigan.

i routinely get pages/consults that go something like this:

doc: mr smith is still very painful, but he is sleepy. can you turn his pump up?

me: no.

doc: he doesnt seem to be doing well. cant his dose be increased?

me: um, no. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

doc: can we put him on a continuous dose (a continuous drip on top of the demand dose)?

me: absolutely not! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif
do you want to kill this guy?

doc: we feel that more should be done!

me: well, i have done my part--the pump is optimized, and we cannot go any further without jeopardizing the patient.
i would suggest non-narcotic adjuncts (tylenol, toradol, advil, ultram, etc) except your patient is strict NPO and nothing per rectum, and his renal function is compromised (therefore antiinflammatories are contraindicated and there is no route available for the other meds).

doc: well...can we try another narcotic?

me: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

i kid you not. i simplified the situation, but it illustrates the general lack of...common sense?

i get worse situations than this!

be afraid. be very afraid.

Bob

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Have you walked into your local motor vehicle department and looked around at the people in line lately? If you want a true cross-section sample of the adult population, there it is. One or two intellegent people for every 10 "others". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol im learning diabled but im not stupid my iq is above average but lots a people who dont know me think im stupid specaily on the internet cause i stink at expresing my self with writen words

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
a person who cannot speak and/or write well is not necessarily dumb.

we dont mind your writing, raggie. we can understand it, and that is good enough.

Bob

Greta

Flashaholic
Who said raggie was stupid??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif Point 'em out to me... I'll kick their ***...
whip2.gif