2 stage switch for "E" series

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: 2 stage switch for \"E\" series

carl,

I prefer quick access to both levels in the momentary mode with slower access to constant on. It seems to me that if you plan to have a light on for any duration that you also have the time to turn it on into constant on. On the other hand, at a moments notice if you need light, it is then, IMHO, that you want quick access; first with the low level and if that's not enough, immediately to the high level.

Obviously it's just a preference but after playing with and experimenting with other switching strategies that are available to me and my limited skills, this one was the one that worked the best to my way of thinking.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

"switch-philosophy" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
gets better every day ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic

For a data point, last night, I modified a "Classic" LOTC with one of my pre-production two stage protos and it works well. I tried it on both a L5 and L6 with very satisfactory results. I have commited a few thousand dollars now to some components on order with more to go so one way or the other, I have every intention of geting these to market! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGiz, for my clarification. Your new switch will be L4 compatible? If so, what level of light does Low produce? Say, in comparison with some established benchmarks, like Opalec, 1Wers, etc. This sounds awesome, and my be exactly what I've been looking for.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Phaserburn,

Yes, this switch will work with the L4. The level of low will be dictated by the resisttor value chosen. You can easily do a simple test on your own if you pick up an assortment of resistors from radioshack. Take the tail switch off your L4 and use the leads of a resistor to connect the battery tube and the bottom (-) contact on the rear battery and view the resulting beam. You can switch to high by using one of the resistor leads to bridge between the battery and tube lip. I suggest that you try resistor values between 10 and say 80 ohms.

Since the KL4 is a boost circuit, you need enough resistance to drop the driver out of regulation and as the batteries deplete, the "low" will drop in light output.

My protos as well as mods have been used more on buck circuits and I have been using between 45 and 75 ohms. I have been targeting anywhere from 8:1 to 10:1 variations in relative light output.

I started a thread on selection of resistor values in two stage applications but it died off pretty quick! I would assume that there will be more interest in this when more of these two stage switches are available.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure interest will pick up. Any ETA? Sounds great!

Hmm. If no one else has said this yet: I'm first in line!

I'd also be available if you need someone to field test/review.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, please work faster. And as Darell said, include run-time, beamshots, and I would like to see some graphs.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

yippie !
PayPal loaded!
Don, your investments won't be in vaiin, I am here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To say something useful, too:
will this be an offer of the complete tailcap shown in the pic including the switch?
Do we have to supply something (LOTC?) ?
Natural HA? Black? Both? Bare Al?

Will there be a retrofit for McLux tails / Krolls?

bernhard - drooling in anticipation

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, I'm in whenever these are available! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is great to hear, Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

I'm going to need three of them. 2 black and one HA natural, if available. That'll be for starters.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for when you are ready to accept payment and orders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Britt

juancho

Enlightened

Don, if you keeping any kind of list of people for the new tailcaps, please put me down for two (2) I need one for my L-4 and another for my E2o-PR-T head.
This is a fantastic mod. and well nedeed. you are making flashlight history.
Juan C.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, it's been a few days - any word?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Jon,

This is going to take time unfortunately! The design is proven and now it's just a question of sourcing some off the shelf parts (springs) as well as getting the custom parts quoted and made. I have the "guts" all on order now. By this I mean that with these components, an existing SF LOTC can be converted to a 2 stage switch. I also have the guarded tail cap on order which can host the "guts" along with parts taken from a SF LOTC for a functional switch. I am still a ways away from having all of the parts needed so that one wouldn't have to "borow" from a SF LOTC. There are two brass components on order which I will want to have either plated with nickel or bright tin. Once I have these along with some PCB's that are coming soon, I will post some images along with notes on how the switch is built. As components come in, they will be made available on the shoppe so those inclined will be able to start modifying existing LOTC's. I will probably also offer a mod service where I take someone's LOTC and convert it over.

With a little more experience and bench testing, it is becoming clear to me that the ideal platform for these two stage switches is the DownBoy or other step down converters which effectively pass over to DD when the resistor drops the Vin below Vf. Inthis application, it would appear that a good range of low level current choices are available through choice of resistors.

In the case of badboys or other boost drivers, I believe one is going to be limited to a lower band of available low current choices. The two stage resistor switch is much les efficient in this scheme but if you are pulling 100 mA through the battery and getting 40 mA to the LED, you still have a great run time and excellent low level light output!

I had started a thread on resistor selection and strategies for two stage switches and it died quickly. Hopefully when more of these switches are in play, the group can start compiling information and observations. This is only one of many platforms using the resistor and information from say FireFlys and the ArcLS mods can also be added as data points for these switches and visa versa. The only thing that matters really is the type of driver, LED and battery used. The chassis is irrelevant.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

So these will be available both as a kit for converting an existing LOTC and as a turnkey complete tailcap? Excellent.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Tyler,

Wayne and I want to get various components made so we can do our builds but also make these available for the DIY projects. In the case of these two stage switch components, modders will be able to take certain parts and use them in their own designs and modifications. I have already used some of these parts to make a two stage switch for a LongBow, SF classic LOTC retro fit and on a SF M6 tail cap.