Best of the Best

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
We should have a poll of the top 5 lights in every category and then someone should graph the polls and make a visual representation of CPF'ers favorite lights. Most the threads ask which is best etc so one sticky with all this info could answer a lot of questions.

Best AAA
Best AA
Best single 123
Best double 123
Best single Led

etc....

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
I agree and think this would be very very helpful, so when people come and ask what flashlight we can point them to that. But I definatly think we need more categories. Heres I think we need to organize it, just me:naughty:.

LED Incandescent LED/Incandesnt hybrid
--- ------------- ----------------------
AAA AAA AAA
10 or less: 10 or less: 10 or less:
10 to 30: 10 to 30: 10 to 30:
30 to 50: 30 to 50: 30 to 50:
50 to 70: 50 to 70: 50 to 70:

AA AA AA
10 or less: 10 or less: 10 or less:
10 to 30: 10 to 30: 10 to 30:
. . .
. . .
. . .
150 to 200: 150 to 200: 150 to 200:

so on and so forth, I know a big thing is what are you using this for so I geuss we could put what it is good for or somthing like that next to it,anyway I think this is a good idea.[edit] Ok the post messed up list but you get genral idea.

greenLED

Flashaholic
"best" depends on your application; hard to nail
You'll get lots of "favorite" lights, though.

Last edited:

talonturbo

Newly Enlightened
Good thread, but go for "best buy" in each category. Assuming the lights are divided by battery type and number, then simply list the best ones (value, as in performance and quality per dollar) for different price ranges within each category.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
A backpacker is going to be more runtime biased than the typical CPFer.

Those lights that have absolute brightness also have shorter led lives all things being equal. I almost think the catagory thing is not possible, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many different lights. You could have so many "best" categories and I guess whatever you need, you look up that best winner....

Best LED runtime:
Best LED lumens:
Best LED lux:
Best LED varible brightness:
Best LED Buy AA,123, etc...
Best LED size:

:D

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, once about 25 people voted, there would start to be a balance of whether CPFers prefer runtime or brightness... spot beams or flood etc.

The drawback is, I'd imagine a lot of folks out there would be voting for or against lights they had never even used.

dg

Newly Enlightened
My overall 'best' for general use is the Surefire L4.

For throw its the Gladius. For value (and lending out!) its an ebay MXDL. For having with me most times its the Orb RAW. For messing about with, its the Inova X1

Kiessling

Flashaholic
And what would the "best" beam be? IMHO this is a rather subjective issue. Just the same as the switching method, just as important and at least as subjective. Etc.
I don't think that you will find an algorithm to define the "best" here ... as the contenders are far too diverse .. on the flashlight and the user side.
bernhard

greenLED

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
Bernhard - the only solution is for you to conduct the polling for the 2005 CPF Lummie awards. You do the heavy lifting, and I'll help. :)

Yeah, this has Lummie written all over. Go for it!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Guys, I'd love to see the Lummies for 2005 done, but there will be a hell of a lot of work involved ... organization, presentation, vote counting, searching for prices and raffling them off, graphics, communications with the winners, ...
In addition to that, as those will be CPF awards, it would have to be coming from "above" ...
bernie