If you could only have one flashlight...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you could only own 1 flashlight.....

There are many threads asking basically the same question, I've merged "If you could only own 1 flashlight for the rest of your life....." with "If you could only have one flashlight..." - Norm

Thank you

Quiksilver

Enlightened

Made me think for a little here :)

Was a toss up between SureFire 6P, HDS Systems Rotary 200, and SureFire Saint.

I'd have to go with the SureFire Saint. The ability to use AA cells and CR123 cells, and the ability to be used as a single CR123 cell light is pretty valuable. Also, one can perform 2-handed tasks with it, something lacking from traditional flashlights.

If the Saint was out of the question, then the HDS Rotary with all the bells and whistles (different tubes, holster, plenty of cells, etc.)

After that, the SureFire 6P w/ Malkoff M60.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you could only own 1 flashlight for the rest of your life.....

I'm having trouble with this one, I tend to use the Zebralight headlamps the most, and they are the most flexable in terms of use for me, My Quark AA is the most convenient to carry (deep pocket clip) with me at all times. I have an origional 6P surefire with an XM-L Thrunite drop-in that is just about prefect for my needs also.
Thank goodness I really don't have to choose...

There is something more convenient to carry than this? LOL. +1 on ZL headlamps. Only if people know how useful they are.
IMG_5188.jpg

Last edited:

MattE

Newly Enlightened

I'll go with MiniMaglite LED

- reliable
- inexpensive
- runs on AA
- batteries readily available almost anywhere
- batteries are light and inexpensive to stock.
- good runtime

Chidwack

Enlightened
This one really got me to thinking. Not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to make a highly informed decision because I don't have near as many lights as most folks seem to have here on this forum. If choosing from lights that I already have it would have to be either my Olight M20s or my Quark AA2 tactical. The Olight is brighter, has more throw and the batteries burn for much longer. The Quark uses batteries that are less expensive, easier found, recharge faster, recharge more times. It's lighter and easier to carry. I would have to go with the Quark. I would choose it over my Jetbeam BA20 and Kluarus P2A only because it's got more modes, most of which I don't use but still are available if needed in the future. I would also trust it to last longer than the budget minded Jetbeam BA20 and Klarus P2A.

firelord777

Enlightened
Can't really choose, but the Fenix TK15, TK41 and LD40 come to mind first.

Thinking as I write this, I think it'll be the LD40.

Wow, you stole my words LOL! I just like them for some reason. I have the tk41, but equally want the tk15 and really (i like neutral tints) the ld40.

xckidd1991

Newly Enlightened
I'd use my GL10. It's my favorite light. As a gun lover I couldn't imagine living without a gun light and the GL10 is pretty versatile. It lasts a LONG time and can be used for everything. Has an adjustable bezel which when removed shines light wider than a wall in my room... from 8 feet away.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Sunwayman T20C (modyfied) without a doubt.
Small, sturdy, perfect balanced high, medium and low. 438 lumens Ansi (2.5hrs) → 70 Lumens (35hrs) → 10 Lumens (200hrs)
The best tail clicky on the market, with momentary, and Strobe, Tailstand.
Best "real world" friend in the dark.

CallmeSleeves

Newly Enlightened
The Thrunite Catapult, it seems to be durable, bright, and has great beam. I could carry it in a pocket or belt holster, batteries are rechargeable. It just seems to be a great flashlight.

michman

Newly Enlightened
I fully agree. I have been walking around for a decade with a Gerber IU, as well as a CMG Infinity, and they have been put through everything from temperature (-30C to +40C), as well as every type of camping mishap. They have been my primary lights without fail until most recently the Gerber IU passed on... Luckily I have another to back it up with.:thumbsup:

bstrickler

Enlightened

Bored 6P with a very durable 3 mode XML. The 3 mode Manafont/Ultrafire XML module is perfect but I've only had it for a year so I have no idea how durable it will be over time. To me, this module has the perfect mix of spot and spill, modes are well spaced and it's a real barn burner on high.

They're quite durable. I've dropped my L2 lego from the top of a CRJ700 (about 12') onto hard concrete, and it didn't fail. Left quite a dent in the bezel of the Z44, but other than that, it's fine. No broken glass, nothin. McClicky is acting a bit funny now, though (sometimes when setting the mode, it changes to the next mode). If/when the McClicky dies, I'll get it replaced (this will be the second one I'll have killed. I don't think anyone else has killed 2 McClicky's yet).

If you could pot them, I can bet they'll be nigh indestructible.

I myself would carry a SureFire U2 (post 2008) with an XM-L in it. Most versatile light I've ever owned (rotary hall effect switch is the best idea I've run across. Lets you change from high to low as fast as you want).

The runtime is also amazing. 12 hours on level 5 (2nd highest level. Only 1 1/2 regulated hours on Level 6, so I avoid that level, except for short bursts when I need the extra bit of light), and estimated 580 hours on Level 1 (estimated 1 lumen). Switching to an XM-L would probably double or triple the output over the SSC P4.

The only thing I could ask of them is to have the modes marked, so you can switch to the mode you want when it's off.

I'd also pot the electronics on the U2, to guarantee that no drop would ever kill it. Better safe than sorry!

~Brian

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the lights that I have experience with the first one that comes to mind as the most versatile is my Surefire 6P with an A19 extension containing a Malkoff M61LL (100 lumen) LED drop-in. I can power it with 2x17500's, 1x17670. 3x123's, 2x123's or 2xAA's.

Both the body and drop-in are high quality and rugged. I would add a Surefire Z49 tailcap which is also rugged and allows the light to tail stand.

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened

If I could Only have one light for the rest of my life, It would be a couple Small 5mm Led Diode, in the most durable clear coating. With wires attaching to batteries. As fail proof as it gets I would assume.

But I guess that doesn't count as a flashlight, so then the best money can buy Wind up LED light. Always light when needed.

My only light is very much geared to end world scenario as you probably guessed....

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would be my McGizmo Haiku XP-G. It has three speed, can use primary or rechargeable batts, bright, beautiful spill and decent thrower and its comes with McGizmo durability and reliability.

Slider817

Newly Enlightened
Although I would loveto say some Mcgizmo light, My 4Sevens Mini 123 XML seems just about perfect.

PS the only reson i did'nt say something by McGizmo is that I still havent figured out his models, but there is ine in my future

mobile2001

Newly Enlightened
You guys have it good , in my part of the world we only have imitation led with focusing lenses on top, and removable lithium bats ,but they serve there purpose. I got a ultrafire that thows a light afar for 10 bucks, my 2 cents.

regards

Latest posts