New Jetbeam M2S with SST-50 LED [+ Pics heavy]

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Jeatbeam M2S with SST-50 LED

Put the SST-50 in the RRT-3 body... that would interest me... this one.... not I just don't like the long narrow body tubes and a light like this needs at least 2x18650.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for pointing this out. Nothing was mentioned in the marketplace thread that would indicate it to be anything but a 4xcr123 or 2x18650 light as delivered. I ordered one on the day of announcement and now wish I hadn't.

I didn't notice the quoted note at the time of order and question if it was even there at that point. :thinking:

So thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

From the bottom of the page of the link provided by OP at BOG's website it says

*** 2 18650 can only be used with the optional battery extender ***

Maybe I am misreading it but that's how interpretate it.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for pointing this out. Nothing was mentioned in the marketplace thread that would indicate it to be anything but a 4xcr123 or 2x18650 light as delivered. I ordered one on the day of announcement and now wish I hadn't.

I didn't notice the quoted note at the time of order and question if it was even there at that point. :thinking:

So thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Interesting this pointing.

From the point that the M2S body is very similar to the M1X (and AFAIK it is almost the same unless for the screws on the head), it really should be a 2x18500 tube. However, I don't believe that either the CR123A nor 18500 can withstand the 4A current during the burst time period.

If I am correct on my conclusions, it would be a bad thing.

grunscga

Newly Enlightened

However, I don't believe that either the CR123A nor 18500 can withstand the 4A current during the burst time period.

2x 18500s should be fine, although I'm too lazy to do the math to prove it.

3x RCRs is also ok, but starting to push the limits of the batteries.

3x CR123As, on the other hand, basically gives you a $180 road-flare-waiting-to-happen, as far as I can tell. Maybe if you only use the shrink-wrapped factory-balanced triple-CR123A sets that some places sell you'll be ok. Or, you have to be super-vigilant in only using 3 brand-new, same-batch batteries. :shrug:

(I already did the math for the last two assertions in the Marketplace Thread.)

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Jetbeam M2S with SST-50 LED

there's a whole whack of modder's and builders who have pushed +5A through -50's and -90's. It's a very resilient chip.

Contra the popular notion it produces more heat, only with more light as it is more efficient then mc-e / p7 thus less waste heat per lumen.

JETBeam's doing this for their own reasons, totally fine. It won't be too long before someone hacks the driver anyway.
For a lot of people who have used these emitters in more demanding configurations, with a good thermal path it'll hold up no problem.

Batteries though, 4A is pushing the 'C' rate on a lot of cells. The main limit, imho, is the power supply. With-out the option of IMR 26500's or big nimh cells, the thinner 18xxx configuration and the inherent hire resistance means this light could play hell on the cycle life of all but the most resillient (re:IMR) cells. That's my conclusion:

The 3min 'burst' protects the power supply.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

2x 18500s should be fine, although I'm too lazy to do the math to prove it.

3x RCRs is also ok, but starting to push the limits of the batteries.

3x CR123As, on the other hand, basically gives you a $180 road-flare-waiting-to-happen, as far as I can tell. Maybe if you only use the shrink-wrapped factory-balanced triple-CR123A sets that some places sell you'll be ok. Or, you have to be super-vigilant in only using 3 brand-new, same-batch batteries. :shrug:

(I already did the math for the last two assertions in the Marketplace Thread.)

Friend, I brought your post to here. :grin2:

I'm not sure where you get 3C from on 3x16340. The emitter (3.5V worst case) gets 4A, which is 14W. If the buck circuit wastes 15% of the power fed to it, then we need 14*1.15 = 16.1W of input power. 3 RCRs means each one needs to deliver ~5.37W. At 4.2V, that would put the current at 1.28A, which is below 2C. Even at 3.6V, the current would be ~1.5A, which is the safe max. Of course, if you do let it drop further, you're in trouble, as at 2.5V, the draw is over 2.1A. So, as long as the user is careful, 3xRCR should work ok, but unprotected batteries will fall into a death spiral as their voltage drops off (unless the light falls out of regulation at 10.8V, thus becoming an unregulated light on 18650s).

The real problem is primaries. 3x CR123As starts with a draw of ~1.8A for each battery, well over the "safe" threshold, and (if the regulation circuit keeps regulating) pushes the current to ~2.7A at 2.0V. At that current, unless I'm mistaken, you're one partially discharged CR123A* away from holding an aluminum-bodied road flare. I'm surprised that Jetbeam is willing to accept that kind of liability...

* If accidentally mixed with 2 fresh ones

Sorry to insist on the matter and if I'm wrong, but using 3xRCR [li-ion 750mAh] in series we still have 750mAh, don't? Or do you mean that the more voltage less amperage is needed to produce these "4ah" to fed the emitter?

Thanks for your patience! :D

HKJ

Flashaholic

Or do you mean that the more voltage less amperage is needed to produce these "4ah" to fed the emitter?

Exactly, with a buck/boost driver you need to calculate watt, i.e. the emitter needs 3.3 volt @ 4A -> 14 watt.
Then to calculate current from any battery configuration, we need to divide with the battery voltage and number of batteries.
2 batteries 14 / 3.3 / 2 -> 2.12 A
3 batteries 14 / 3.3 / 3 -> 1.41 A
4 batteries 14 / 3.3 / 4 -> 1.06 A

I have used 3.3 volt for the battery, this is the value for a nearly empty battery (See here for actual voltage on some 18650 batteries)
Because the driver is less than 100% effective, it is necessary to add 10% to 20% to the above currents to get the real current.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly, with a buck/boost driver you need to calculate watt, i.e. the emitter needs 3.3 volt @ 4A -> 14 watt.
The to calculate current from any battery configuration, we need to divide with the battery voltage and number of batteries.
2 batteries 14 / 3.3 / 2 -> 2.12 A
3 batteries 14 / 3.3 / 3 -> 1.41 A
4 batteries 14 / 3.3 / 4 -> 1.06 A

I have used 3.3 volt for the battery, this is the value for a nearly empty battery (See here for actual voltage on some 18650 batteries)
Because the driver is less than 100% effective, it is necessary to add 10% to 20% to the above currents to get the real current.

Well that explains everything :thumbsup:
Thanks for the confirmation and for your excelent li-ion comparison thread!

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic

It kinda sucks the extender tube is sold and I assume packaged separately. I hope the non-flashaholics of the world read the details and pick up on it so they can enjoy the lights full potential.
I agree, the extender should come with the M2S, their is plenty of room in the box to add it in as a complete package.
Dioni, the AW's should fit fine :D

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Could it be this easy? Since 2/5/10, or sooner is the projected shipping date I'll spill my thoughts. Most timers, but not all, reset themselves to zero when turned off. Could it be so simple as turning the M2S off momentarily prior to allowing automatic power reduction? Obviously, I don't have the answer to that question since I don't have an M2S in hand, but I hope one of the first new owners tries. If that does work it would be an acceptable work around for me. I can't think of a situation that I as a civilian could get into that wouldn't allow me to turn my flashlight off momentarily after two minutes and fifty eight seconds. My only delima would be asking myself how many times do I want to do this before I risk burning my warranty up? Anyway, how about one of you lucky guys trying it and reporting back to the less fortunate? Thanks!