open ya mind to music

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the mid 90s I worked for one of the largest production companies in the South. Whenever they did a Rap gig they had a really hard time finding techies and grunts -- for all positions. The reason was that the guys who were any good and worked a lot shows already had more than their share of close calls on these gigs -- and they were not going to do another one for love or money.

So aside from not liking a genre of music that describes my race as an object of hatred, I also do want to be anywhere near the audience. Rap audiences do not pass the 'Duck Test'.

I am not a racist. I have worked in various capacities with some very big stars of all colors. I never feared for my life while working any of those gigs.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert in music but I like most music. Some forms only in small doses.

I like some classical. Debussy's "Girl With the Flaxen Hair" ("La fille aux cheveux de lin") is a favorite. Also, his "Claire de Lune" (clear of the moon or *moonlight music*) is wonderful. Perfect for enjoying the outdoors at night.

Drum solos. Can't get enough of them.

I like the music of the band "The Coors". Thier voices and harmony speak to my heart.

Marlena Dietriech. I saw a special that showed a film of Marlena Dietriech singing "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" in Germany. Not at all the '60s song I thought it was.

What about a country music ballad? Sure. "Go Rest High On That Mountain" (- Vince Gill, Patty Loveless and Ricky Skaggs) is beautiful.

A lot of what I like has to do with the Mississippi River and how it has been the vehicle that transported music in America and how that travel caused wonderful fusions. Bluegrass, Gospel, Blues, Jazz, Rock and Roll and all the fusions are quite enjoyable.

Probably my favorite music is when musicians get together and jam. It can become an engaging conversation. All participants have something to say and support what all the other participants have to say. The listeners understand. Some of the best conversation I've heard were jam sessions.

Opera.
Stay with me fellas. Remember "Shawshank Redemption" when Red was describing how Andy flooded the prison with opera music? That was Verdi's "Marriage of Figaro/Duettino" by the Berlin Opera. Nice. Didn't do it for you? Let me try again. Remember "Pretty Woman"? Remember the scene where Richard Gear had taken Julia Roberts to the Opera? We are all nervous for her as she is seated and speaks to those around her. As the opera is performed she becomes enthralled in it. As it ends she is smiling and in tears. She understood the opera moreso than anyone around her. To me Julia, the actress, is more attractive in that moment than in any other in her film career. That was "Dammi tu forza, o cielo" from the opera 'La Traviata' . Loosely translated... "The sky gives you to me".

What about a Polka? Why not. Polkas are part of the basics of Zydeco music.

For your next get together, gather up your friends, serve up some Jambalaya, a big pot of Gumbo and play some Zydeco. Everybody gonna wanna dance and if they don't dance they'll tap that foot, wiggle that frame and smile reeeel big.

--------------

- Jeff