Teslas quit charging in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Idk who makes those lists, but i lease hondas since 2005, only had few minor issues resolved under warranty, they are super reliable, i love my pilot and passport, I had 3 accords as well, great cars, but the best one was 2006 lxv6.
Again, newer and current offerings. Those from the turn of this century are very reliable.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
my pilot is 2018, and passport 2021,. accords were 2006, 2009, and 2013

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Jay leno has a 100 years old electric car that looks like a phone booth on wheels, still runs. almost all original

I saw that video. It's more designed as a Lady's Sitting room than a phone-booth. Something for the gentle gender from a privileged background to enjoy. Complete with a few charging stations around NYC. But as daily commuters, or delivery trucks. Clearly back then, electricity as a car's power source was found to be very unreliable. And, ironically; still is.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
1705628412781-png.png
That charging station would look right at home next to my solid oak hand crank phone I've got in the basement!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What kind of issues with the engine should i expect?
If your Passport has the 3.5L. V6 engine, there's issues with the machining of the crankshaft. There was already a Recall back in 2019. But now there are reports that models up to 2022 may still have that issue.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get letters from honda if there are any recalls, so far i got nothing. I got one in 2019 for timing belt, but mine was not affected

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Very true lux but trust me someday every or almost everyone will want. Ev I predict they will improve that much
I personally will never support products that so dramatically benefit China. I'm also not seeing EV battery driven cars as being superior to hydrogen which can be easily refilled and existing gas stations retrofitted.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Fuel cells are dead. A hydrogen station costs a million dollars. Level III Superchargers are $33,000.00. Simple 7.2kw charger J1772 is $220. Only takes 10 seconds to fuel. Plug in at night, unplug in the morning. 10 seconds.
Of course costs are high since it is a brand new technology. It's why I wholeheartedly support gasoline ICE for as long as possible. EV Battery damage to environment, stress on power grid, not working in cold weather, limitations on longer travel make EV's a very limited option. The only exception are those who have a secure home to buy and pay an electrician to install a charging port for mostly local use.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Why I'm not a fan of an ice car is how so much wasted motion there is in an ice engine. . . Please note I'd never want you all to buy a car you don't want! I'm just stating my views on the subject and still trying to be a new kinder Reggie or at least a a raggie who is Les of a jerk lol. Ps screw you spell check quit changing my word or telling me I spelled the word wrong and then not helping at all

mrfixitman

Enlightened
If your conscience is clean it appears that may be due to a complete lack of one, and anyone who starts and ends a post like yours should never be trusted.

All of your egotistical 'clean' products have come to you by way of fossil fuels, not only in manufacture but delivery too.

The difference between your anger and that of those you hate for not following you is that it's those of you trying to force this on everyone else with nothing but dirtied science and a desire to control everyone else in the room.
You have a bias. I am just imparting my experience. If you had a kid with asthma, that moved to Portland, and the asthma went away, you might start to see things differently. I am trying to change the world in my small way. If everyone just does one small thing, with some conviction of purpose the world will eventually be clean. Here is a small thing. Turn off a light. You just saved a penny.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correlation is not a causation. Moving to different locations have been a treatment for some diseases even before cars were invented. elevation, barometric pressure, humidity, even stress, and many other known and unknown factors contribute. But you supporting my point, SF is a filthy sihthole.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
If your conscience is clean it appears that may be due to a complete lack of one, and anyone who starts and ends a post like yours should never be trusted.
Too bad you didn't trust the parts in the middle. That's my experience I am imparting. Take it or leave it at your peril. What I am imparting is also a warning. Example, my brother is as conservative as it gets. He was going to buy a $200k diesel motorhome. Since I explained what was going to happen in the "future", he decided against the huge stranded asset. He even put solar on the roof to run his air conditioning (San Diego Country Estates). He is renting the occasional motorhome and hoping technology from Eindhoven will trickle down to the rest of us. solarteameindhoven.nl These guys and girls, engineering students, made a 5 passenger solar car with a trunk that can go 1,200 miles on a charge over two days of sunlight. They made an RV and now an off-road vehicle. These guys give me hope and are making things more interesting than flashlights. Now that's hard to believe.BTW their car is so efficient it does 45mph in sunlight without the battery, infinitely... that's why you need a battery to buffer/save energy. The sun don't shine at night. That's why you need a mix of renewables.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Too bad you didn't trust the parts in the middle. That's my experience I am imparting. Take it or leave it at your peril. What I am imparting is also a warning. Example, my brother is as conservative as it gets. He was going to buy a $200k diesel motorhome. Since I explained what was going to happen in the "future", he decided against the huge stranded asset. He even put solar on the roof to run his air conditioning (San Diego Country Estates). He is renting the occasional motorhome and hoping technology from Eindhoven will trickle down to the rest of us. solarteameindhoven.nl These guys and girls, engineering students, made a 5 passenger solar car with a trunk that can go 1,200 miles on a charge over two days of sunlight. They made an RV and now an off-road vehicle. These guys give me hope and are making things more interesting than flashlights. Now that's hard to believe.BTW their car is so efficient it does 45mph in sunlight without the battery, infinitely... that's why you need a battery to buffer/save energy. The sun don't shine at night. That's why you need a mix of renewables.
To add: this is about efficiency of electric. Their battery is equivalent to a little over 1/3 gallon of gas. Let's call it half a gallon. That's 2,400 miles per gallon. For the rest of us you might be able to copy with an electric bike tied to a solar panel. There is even a race from Europe to China with such vehicles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A conservationist goes about life reducing pollution and habitat destruction quietly and without fanfare. One year at work I had a new boss who asked me if I was a tree hugger.

When we met he asked which filing cabinet our records were in. I pointed to a stack of DVD-R's. When the company asked us how they could save $ and still send out holiday greetings I responded "e-cards". When he'd enter my project office the overhead lights were off but my area was lit with a small table lamp with a curly fry bulb. When out doors watching work from my truck the truck would be off unless I was moving from place to place. Stuff like that. Yet to me all that was just normal. Waste bot, want not, right?
The trash truck goes by my house once a week but only stops at my house about once a month. My environmentalist do gooder neighbors can's are over flowing weekly.

When the guy asked me if I was a tree hugger I pointed north and said "about 5 miles that way a gigantic coal powered generator sends polluted air towards my athsmatic son and I'm just doing what I can to reduce the number of loader buckets of coal get dumped into the furnace each day".

Now, I know envirionmentalists who place their pajamas in the clothes dryer to warm them before bed. They look down on me for using plastic straws while they waste more plastic in one day than I do in a week. When my house is chilled I add clothing. They turn up the furnace. When I vacation it's to fix a shed or visit a park on my bicycle. They fly in airplanes coast to coast or ride on gigantic cruise ships to tropical islands then tell me my full sized pickup is ruining the planet.

It's one thing to be a good steward, but just do it and shut the front door about it.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
A conservationist goes about life reducing pollution and habitat destruction quietly and without fanfare. One year at work I had a new boss who asked me if I was a tree hugger.

When we met he asked which filing cabinet our records were in. I pointed to a stack of DVD-R's. When the company asked us how they could save $ and still send out holiday greetings I responded "e-cards". When he'd enter my project office the overhead lights were off but my area was lit with a small table lamp with a curly fry bulb. When out doors watching work from my truck the truck would be off unless I was moving from place to place. Stuff like that. Yet to me all that was just normal. Waste bot, want not, right?
The trash truck goes by my house once a week but only stops at my house about once a month. My environmentalist do gooder neighbors can's are over flowing weekly.

When the guy asked me if I was a tree hugger I pointed north and said "about 5 miles that way a gigantic coal powered generator sends polluted air towards my athsmatic son and I'm just doing what I can to reduce the number of loader buckets of coal get dumped into the furnace each day".

Now, I know envirionmentalists who place their pajamas in the clothes dryer to warm them before bed. They look down on me for using plastic straws while they waste more plastic in one day than I do in a week. When my house is chilled I add clothing. They turn up the furnace. When I vacation it's to fix a shed or visit a park on my bicycle. They fly in airplanes coast to coast or ride on gigantic cruise ships to tropical islands then tell me my full sized pickup is ruining the planet.

It's one thing to be a good steward, but just do it and shut the front door about it.
Yes your full sized pickup is ruining the planet but you have the right attitude and are doing what you can. I run around my house turning off the lights my treehuggering wife leaves on. I would call you tree curious...at least. There is a financial aspect to conservation. Here is what some guys in Boston are doing to move snow with an electric pickup.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I thought these Teslas had like an auto warming feature to warm up the batteries?
That's the essential reason for the scale of the incidents in Chicago. The battery preconditioning (warming) process for decent charge rates has to be manually initiated 20-30 minutes prior to charging and by itself eats 10 miles of range.

The public charging infrastructure in Chicago is pretty limited relative to the number of EVs. Add this weeklong Arctic blast really hurting the EVs capacity and recharge rate. Hardly any Tesla owners were doing charge preconditioning and many didnt even know about it, waiting in line with near-dead cold batteries for people trying to charge cold batteries. A Perfect Storm of conditions for a battalion of tow truck rescues for dead Teslas that spent their last energy waiting on poor *******s that were only getting a few kW of charge... a domino effect.

Of course, severe weather always generates the most hyped up media coverage of its effects. So the dead Tesla "event" was reported with typical exaggerated drama. But is is a glaring issue that highlights the insufficiency of public charging infrastructure. Until access to charging is remotely comparable to the convenience of finding a gas station the present EV situation has more (significant) drawbacks than benefits.

Battery technology in EVs, like solid state cells and alternate chemistries are still in a rapid evolutionary stage. What we have available now makes EVs possible but quite a long way away from being ready for prime time and scaled up to huge numbers. They are certainly impractical in many ways right now, and at their worst in below freezing weather.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Clearly back then, electricity as a car's power source was found to be very unreliable. And, ironically; still is.
Electric Delivery trucks were used into the 1930's.Not unreliable . More reliable. Range was the issue. They were the first to go because the were not multi use. Long and short haul. Then the myrid electric railroads moving people around cities. Firestone and GM to blame. A few cities saved theirs. Now San Diego, LA and San Jose are rebuilding. Overhead electric railways are the cheapest way to move people.

Status
Not open for further replies.