The new ipad wtf?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a samsung a23 or something its slow as hect but i think its 30 bucks new if i recall. sick of droping nice phones

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Moto G Pure for me.
It was free! Since I was forced to upgrade to it about 3 years ago when the 3G network was switched off. Service Provider offered it to anyone for free since everyone had to upgrade. Only free option out of the various model choices. What sucks is, I have to shave the backs of my hands weekly; so I can use it to record videos for both of my YouTube channels. That camera feature picks up ever least, little detail. Very annoying. Not looking forward to my next FREE phone when the 4G network is killed off.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Heck, I rember when we not only had corded land-line phones.... But those phones had rotary dials on them! Remember those! There are grown adults alive today who have no clue how to use a rotary dial!

Moto G Pure for me.
It was free! Since I was forced to upgrade to it about 3 years ago when the 3G network was switched off. Service Provider offered it to anyone for free since everyone had to upgrade. Only free option out of the various model choices. What sucks is, I have to shave the backs of my hands weekly; so I can use it to record videos for both of my YouTube channels. That camera feature picks up ever least, little detail. Very annoying. Not looking forward to my next FREE phone when the 4G network is killed off.
Wear nitrile gloves instead of shaving?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wear nitrile gloves instead of shaving?
I do ASMR role-plays on one channel with a close-up of my hands. Can't have every character wear gloves. As for my main channel, manipulating small EDC items for the benefit of my viewers and subscribers just wouldn't work with such gloves on. Did try to use white gloves. Type a man would wear with Top Hat & Tails. Once again, manipulation issues. :(

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I fired up the Nexus 7 tablet two days ago. It thinks today is Jan 3rd, 2000.
IMG_1885.jpeg

Thought that was cool.

As much as I like an iPad I sure do miss the back button.
IMG_1886.jpeg

Each time it fires up it does googles version of ET call home.

It wants to update but the reason it still works is because I never let it. Everybody in my family had one at one point. They used them online a lot and they all malfunctioned after updating from 4.1 jelly bean to 4.2 or thereabouts. I keep one device for internet use. The rest I add what ever apps I want and shut off every internet option it'll let me shut off on the rest, be it microsoft, google or apple.

I did an iPad mini vs the Asus made Nexus size compare.
IMG_1880.jpeg

The mini aint all that mini, really.
At least compared to what I think is the best small tablet ever made, the Nexus 7. The apple is closer to square but the Nexus was a great book reader that also doubled as a small screen multi-media device.

But the brick size smart phone made sales fall faster than an olympic down hill skier.
IMG_2195.jpeg

Yet that extra real estate sure was nice.

Mrs Fixer loves her iPad mini 6. It even has a decent camera with a flash 😱. It's a wee bit larger than the 5 due to no home button and smaller bezel area(s) while the chassis is practically the same.

My mini 5 uses a contraption to charge the pencil while staying in the pencil holder.
IMG_1895.jpeg

Lightning male to USB A male 1' cord to a USB A 3.0 female to lightning male adapter to dual lightning female adapter.

IMG_1893.jpeg

Shows attached to the iPad 9 case.

The USB A 3.0 also allows me to use a flashdrive with the iPad.
Note the pencil has a handy "won't lose the cap" gizmo.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that nexus was a beast is the day. but today id buy the amazon fire i think its 80 bucks today

Monocrom

Flashaholic
that nexus was a beast is the day. but today id buy the amazon fire i think its 80 bucks today
Not a huge tablet guy, and would prefer to buy expensive electronic items in-person. Instead of Amazon, I'd go to Wal-Mart and get their in-house brand ONN 13-inch tablet. It's gotten surprisingly good reviews. Inexpensive, and I'd be curious to see how long it lasts....

Plus, if it fails immediately, I can just toss it on my main YouTube channel and do a blatantly honest review of it.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
Had the Nexus 7 2013 and it was a great tablet, but what infuriated me was no micro SD slot. Would've been perfect for movies.
I was around in the golden days 10 years ago of Android. Used to read XDA Developers daily and learned how to gain root access and blew whole new ROM's into tablets, stripped of bloatware and crapware. Now it's a major headache and newer devices are faster. I disable all the crapware I can.
Can't stand Apple, can't do a thing with them, too locked down.
Doubt if you could make an Apple home screen look like this:

Screenshot_2023-11-26_204418.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Had the Nexus 7 2013 and it was a great tablet, but what infuriated me was no micro SD slot. Would've been perfect for movies.
I was around in the golden days 10 years ago of Android. Used to read XDA Developers daily and learned how to gain root access and blew whole new ROM's into tablets, stripped of bloatware and crapware. Now it's a major headache and newer devices are faster. I disable all the crapware I can.
Can't stand Apple, can't do a thing with them. Rich kid's toys.

View attachment 53173
That is impressive. Android is starting to lock down their hardware though. It used to be that you could install tools that could have direct access to the hardware (like wi-fi utilities or call recorders) but no more. Android, like Apple, will only allow you proxy access to their hardware via their APIs. On the one hand it makes sense for security reasons, but on the other hand, it's getting harder to run some very useful and innocuous utilities.

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Just big phone apps. Apple forces developers to meet a standard for their apps on the iPad.
Many many times all I want is the iPhone app on my iPads. More iPad apps then I like have the "side bar" on the left side that I can't get rid of. My iPhone screen can be a little small at times for these eyes and a bigger version would be just fine.

This was the case with a lot of iOS apps – many for the phone worked just fine on the iPad and did what I wanted. With iPadOS I don't think that happens at all. But my Apple gear does last and that makes getting the latest and greatest hard to justify.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't stand Apple, can't do a thing with them, too locked down.

View attachment 53173
w0w, that is fugly!!!