The new ipad wtf?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had to buy a new phone about 2 weeks ago after 7 years. I was still using my old 6s up to that point & the software finally stopped supporting new apps. The phone itself still worked just fine however (apart from crappy battery life). I replace phones only rarely so I dont mind spending a bit more on them. Apple stuff isn't very customizable but in my experience it lasts.

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery life too. iOS software is optimized for Apple hardware, so the device can run longer on one charge despite having the same or smaller capacity batteries than their Windows/Android competitors.

nbp

Flashaholic
I have an iPad Air I bought when it was released in November of 2013 that I still use in conjunction with an Air 4th Gen I bought last year. The old Air doesn't support the newest software anymore of course, but it still runs most apps and will text, email, browse, weather, news, etc. just fine, and I still get several hours of use on a charge on the original battery. Let me know if that $159 tablet is still running reliably in 9 years. I would guess probably not. You don't always get what you pay for but you usually do.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just had to buy a new phone about 2 weeks ago after 7 years. I was still using my old 6s up to that point & the software finally stopped supporting new apps. The phone itself still worked just fine however (apart from crappy battery life). I replace phones only rarely so I dont mind spending a bit more on them. Apple stuff isn't very customizable but in my experience it lasts.
I can relate. Had to buy a new phone because every provider was shutting down their 3G network. Ended up with a Motorola G-Pure in March after having my old phone for about 6 years. It had minor issues. But overall I was happy with it. My Pure is better in a lot of ways, but garbage compared to my old phone in others.

Also, Motorola does that nonsense where even if you are paid up with your provider (Boost Mobile in my case), Motorola slows down your speed after it decides you've used up enough data for the month. What kind of nonsense is that!? Kyocera never did that on my old phone. And, with the latest Samsung scandal, that's two companies I won't be buying from when I need a new phone later on.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the iPad Air when it came out and gave it to my grandson a few years later when the Air 2 came out. Both still going strong on original batteries.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple does not sell products, they sell lifestyle.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
11 years ago bought shoes at an Albuquerque store. Factory rep was there; you bought shoes, you're entered to win iPad2. I won. No need to watch 30 second video really, just proof that an old iPad plays videos, allows browsing CPF, all on a hotspot provided from an iPhone 13.

Last edited:

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never understood the problem with the name. Sure, you can reach for mismatched homonyms but is that really what comes to mind first when thinking about a tablet computer? I do find both the price, and tablets, hard to swallow.

My iPad mini 2 has I guess been worth having, but it's my least used of: iMac, iPhone, iPad. I had high hopes for using it as an eReader but it just hasn't panned out for a number of reasons. More availability of audio, less reason to read at home when not in front of the computer, and too much trouble to take the iPad with me when the phone is good enough for books. The iPad is incredible for digital comic books, or art books, though.

oBQ68v2.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My work issued me an iPad 8 a few years back. I stopped using it and gave it to the boss who uses it often. Those things are pretty handy at times. So, late last year I opted for a 9th gen with a bluetooth keyboard folio case. It was on sale so with the keyboard/case it was still under $400. I just added an iCarez matt screen film to it to reduce the mirror effect that shiney screen has out doors.

The Mrs used to love her some Samsung gear but gadget after gadget having mysterious, non solvable issues shortly after the release of the next generation she eventually joined the dark side and is all in on Apple as well. She had the first iPad in the house. Now she uses an Air 3. We looked at the Pro but the Air was simply a better value for her uses. For me, all I needed was a book reader so I opted for the regular iPad.

For years I used the Google (the Nexus) 7" screen tablet that everybody loved so much until Google murdered them all with a poison pill update for some dang reason. Mine actually still works because it never went on the internet after downloading the apps I wanted. I also still have the (working) Note 8 she said was too small. It too still has the original version of the android OS (jelly bean) it came with. Ok so with that said I just added an iPad mini 5 to my computer selection.

Why the iPad mini 5 and not the 6? Simply put, the things many wanted like no home button, tiny bezel and USB C charging are not what I wanted. Oh, and it's about half the price of a mini 6 these days. Give me a home button, a border to hang onto and lightning port any day. And yes, I prefer that goofy (round) iPencil 1. As a former pen and paper draftsman I still rotate my pencil when drawing or writing out of habit to keep the point sharp. The nice iPencil 2 (and now their $79 version) is like a carpenter pencil to me.

The mini 5 will be plenty fast to read spec books and pdf drawings. It'll sit idle a lot, much like my iPad 9, but so do my 'lectric hedge trimmers, turkey baster, ratchets and several other tools that really come in handy at times.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only will that Samsung tablet not last the years and years an iPad will, but because android is so fragmented, they don't have the power to force developers to make apps properly for it. So they are usually trash. Just big phone apps. Apple forces developers to meet a standard for their apps on the iPad. So you'll find they work much better. Not to mention the cpu will be much better than the a8. You do get what you pay for

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found Apple to be long-lived devices. I'm still using a 2014 MacBook Pro. Runs a little warm, but still plugging along.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer Apple products but I wouldn't pay that price for an iPad unless it had an OLED screen.
I think oled displays are a bit overrated. Apple makes excellent ips lcd displays. They're better than a lot of oleds out there. Ya, oled has better contrast ratios, but there's more to a display than that