The new "King of Throw" FINAL numbers

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The new "King of Throw"

OK to make everybody happy I changed the Criteria to "king of throw of walking lights" Everybody happy now? And BTW I do use mine on a daily basis when I'm walking at night. I never carry a general purpose flood for that. A reflector thrower has sidespill for close up viewing and lights up stuff far away too. An Aspheric will not do that.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened

Sure it will. The WE Kretin (two AA) and Defender III (18650) are focusable aspheric lights. The Defender III provides, to me, a useful spot at 300 ft (although it will throw further). What I don't like what WE did was stop the focusing short of showing the die clearly. I use the Defender III when I take my garbage out for a stroll to the curb, which is about 300 ft away. With a quick push or pull to the head, it either becomes a flood, or thrower, and anything in between. The Kretin will be one of the lights I plan to take on trips with me. These aren't the "Kings of Throw," but it provides the types of beam to fit most if not all situations.

red02

Enlightened

It would be interisting to see how the Turbo head stands up to the Olight SR90. Light-reviews got 73k+ lux on high, that seems pretty close to the Turbohead...

Is the turboforce head P60-compatible? I dont think this was mentioned in the first page.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast

It won't out-throw the SR90.This light would probably fit inside the SR90 reflector. No not P60 compatible. It is a Lumapower with a seperate reflector, unlike a p60.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the Walking light size limitation, perhaps my mag 1.5D could qualify?

SST-90/8Amp with Rebel Deep SMO on a compact cut-down Mag, the Lux @ 1meter is up there in the 50K range with a hot spot much larger than XRE obviously. I find it being too bright to do walking with at night actually, the first light I
ever had this problem.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273748

Hard to compare readings from different meters, my cheap DX meters is known to read low, Not sure who's going to win if we use the same meter. But I know who's going to win if we ever try to Duke it out with them:crackup:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Given the Walking light size limitation, perhaps my mag 1.5D could qualify?

SST-90/8Amp with Rebel Deep SMO on a compact cut-down Mag, the Lux @ 1meter is up there in the 50K range with a hot spot much larger than XRE obviously. I find it being too bright to do walking with at night actually, the first light I
ever had this problem.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273748

Hard to compare readings from different meters, my cheap DX meters is known to read low, Not sure who's going to win if we use the same meter. But I know who's going to win if we ever try to Duke it out with them:crackup:

You're killing me and you don't even care!:hitit:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The new "King of Throw of walking lights" FINAL numbers

My photon is the king of throw if I disqualify everything that's better too. ;) :poke:
Ha ha.

If this thing is a walking light does that mean it has a mode which is suitable for a decently long night walk (several hours)?

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened

Actually throwers are for everyday use. Aspherics are not. You need a second light for an Aspheric. Unless you like to trip over things anyway.

In fact U R wrong on aspheric... Some aspheric are for everyday use:

Wolf-Eyes Night hunter is aspheric with orange peel reflector inside so U can Use it for walking and spotting even when on best focusing point.

It is for everyday carry also and no need for other flashlight.

Wish U can try it (I recommend it with R2 pill only)

But I must say that tons of other aspherics that I have in collection are not for everyday use.

I like this lumapower.

MannyDLights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information !!! Like to see what's out there in the world of lights ........

I'm new to CPF and recently bought some lights ..... I just received my new SST-80 ........ Real nice and man it's a thrower ..... I don't have a working camera but here are some stock images..... I paid $70.00 for it ....... I have no details but if someone on the Orlando Florida area wants to meet and throw some light let me know ....... :twothumbs

sst80g.jpg

sst80d.jpg

This is in NO way spam related ..... Cool !!!! I just like to show off my new stuff .......

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened
Thanks for the information !!! Like to see what's out there in the world of lights ........

I'm new to CPF and recently bought some lights ..... I just received my new SST-80 ........ Real nice and man it's a thrower ..... I don't have a working camera but here are some stock images..... I paid $70.00 for it ....... I have no details but if someone on the Orlando Florida area wants to meet and throw some light let me know ....... :twothumbs
This is in NO way spam related ..... Cool !!!! I just like to show off my new stuff .......

Great deal! Let us know how you like it and the throw distance.
Where did you find it?

MannyDLights

Newly Enlightened
This light has a killer perfect flood and the throw is really amazing ..... This is a fantastic addition to any collection..... A real thrower it lights up a tree line 20 foot in height from 100 yards plus ! Sad I can't load images, in the process of getting a new camera.

I have several HID lights up to 5,000 lumens, I am learning and feeling light and from about 15 hand held lights this is amazing and my favorite one ..... I placed the beam over my Fenix TK-30 and 40 and It simply over powers both in flood and throw !

The brightness that comes out of this thing is simply amazing.:poof:

Output bright can come to above 1800 lumens [lm]
Model of LED: SST-80 LED
Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.
Waterproofing design
Aluminum alloy casing
Aluminum alloy reflector
3 switch Mode: Strong Brightness / Normal Brightness / Flashing
Power by : 2x 18650 3.7v Battery
Colour : Metal Metallic
External Dimension : 56mm x 23mm x 230mm
Weight : 375g

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is not an SST-80 listed on their web page. I am assuming Trustfire can't properlay translate to English or perhaps the making dept. is making stuff up.

Robert_it

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF I am new to this forum as well and I as well bought a Trustfire "SST-80"
I am however not as impressed? the build quality seems actually pretty good for the price of this torch and yes the throw is reasonable but it has a very narrow beam and a LOT of spill around the beam.
the driver is not the best and it annoys me that it just stops working in high mode when the power of the batteries goes below a certain point instead of decreasing the output gradually? (giving an indication that ít is soon time to charge them?) the run time in high mode is not impressive either - I would say in the one hour to one hour and 20 min. range? (two of the latest 3000mAh Ultrafire 18650 batteries)

And there IS no such thing as a SST-80!!! I suspect this to be a SST-50 and not the best batch either. but hey it DID only cost 70 bucks.
The heatsink is big and the cooling ribs is a nice feature and they do not get very hot, I would think this torch would do very nice in the upgrade department??? If anybody have a few suggestions as to what driver and LED to put in this baby I would appreciate it a lot. Also if anybody know of a better lens or replacement head for this to make it more of an inspection torch instead of a thrower?

I own another cheap torch (MTE SSC P7-C) and the throw is better and it last longer and the output with a fresh 18650 is almost as bright. (to my eyes not tested by instrument)

I use my torch at night inspecting aircraft's as an aircraft engineer and a nice wide beam with minimum spill is preferable to me, not a narrow canon which shoots a mile.

--
Robert Schwaner

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I found some pictures on net...

This is really impressive if it is true throws better than Tiablo A9 aspherical from this pictures and It could probably throw 400 meters:eek:

Picture of Trustfire sst 80 on 300 meters

PIC_0149.gif

320m.png

What do U think?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I found some pictures on net...
This is really impressive if it is true throws better than Tiablo A9 aspherical from this pictures and It could probably throw 400 meters:eek: .....................
What do U think?

Well, if it is true, then 300m is impressive, I would agree.
Unfortunately its not very easy to know whether its true or not, as you say.
The fact that its called an SST80 when there is no such thing is a bit of a deterrent for me though.
You would at least expect the manufacturer to get the name right for the led they are using.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Well, if it is true, then 300m is impressive, I would agree.
Unfortunately its not very easy to know whether its true or not, as you say.
The fact that its called an SST80 when there is no such thing is a bit of a deterrent for me though.
You would at least expect the manufacturer to get the name right for the led they are using.

I really doubt that sst 50(or 80??? ) can throw 300 meters...(on this pictures looks like it can throw 400 meters)

One of the best throwers in a world DBS with sst 50 pill can not throw further than much cheaper Q5 or R2 pill (let someone correct me if I am wrong)

Weird...