Time to get another weapon! BUT WHAT!?

da.gee

Enlightened
I love those Scouts and SOCOMs. How about about a .308 CETME (based on G3)? My Dad has one with wood furniture but I've seen them also with synthetic. Pretty classic IMO and relatively reasonable. You'd have more leftover for flashlights.

Are you shooting at anything in particular or just shooting?

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:whistle:
Just making holes at high speed.
I am not planning on shooting anything in particular and don't want to get into caliber effectiveness, home defense, or lethality discussions. Those will lead to thread closure eventually I am certain. :sssh:

The SCAR 16S looks nice but I agree with the guy that said: The thing better be hand-carved from unicorn horn and lubed with angel tears at that price… And I'm not sure if it's magazines are proprietary. That would make it even worse! Now if the budget was double then I would probably like it enough to seek out one to play with.

TDI Kriss Super V, too much of a hassle to get a hold of and it's too ray gun for me. But hey, to each their own!

.308 CETME is a bit rougher than I want to buy right now. Honestly I trick out everything I get but I'd like to start out a bit closer to the finish line this time around. And do you shoot regular 308 out of it or not? I read yes and no.

P90 is neat and my dealer has 1 sitting there but the ammo is really expensive. Still it IS worth taking another look at since I can hold it and all. Not had a bullpup so, maybe. Anyone handle one?

Remington MSR looks uber tactical but I am not a sniper. And I don't want to be really. WV does not have great expanses of open ground for me to take advantage of it. One day I'll be back into long range bolt actions but not now.

The Sig 556 has been found and played with a bit in the shop and I thought the stock had too much play in it when folded and not locked onto the peg. And I didn't think it felt like a toy but the Al 4 rail version was a bit too front heavy for my tastes. I'd like it to balance further back because I KNOW I will be hanging stuff off the front end, no sense making it worse from the start right? Other than that it seemed OK. Not as keen on getting one now but firing it could change my mind.

Benelli MR-1 OK the front end looks EXACTLY like my Beretta Storm. I find that a hair disturbing but I understand Benelli and Beretta, one is owned by the other. Not a fan of the downward angle that stock takes either. A bit too steep a grade, can it be changed aftermarket?! If it shoots like the Storm I could be happy especially since it can take my 99 round drum mag. HMmmmmmm Has anyone here had trigger time with it, I need more info.

TPD AXR looks neat, again I have never had a bullpup design. I think I could like it really. The price is a bit steep from what I just saw though. Maybe I will look into it a bit more if I find one under 2G.

M1A Scout still sounds good but nobody has them. My local guy said maybe 8 months. :( That JAE stock looks interesting and it would sure be the most expensive furniture I've ever gottten! If I find a Scout I'll keep it in mind though.

SPAS 12 was not good, I shot one years ago and did not care for it. It's be so long ago I can't remember what I didn't like actually!
Not much in the way of shotgun talk, are they not cool enough for you guys? LOL!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
TDI Kriss Super V, too much of a hassle to get a hold of and it's too ray gun for me.

Bubba don't shoot no ray guns..

bubbaraygun.jpg

(but from the remaining list, the P90 is my second fave behind the Kriss, especially with the 50 round magazine. And shotgun-wise, I always thought the Remington 11-87 had potential, but being a high-capacity guy, you'd probably like something X-Rail compatible for 23-round entertainment..)

xrailwbg.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Beretta CX4 is an underrated little gun and handles very well.

I'd stay on your M1A plan but definitely take an open minded peak at the Microtech MSAR. They shoot wonderfully and sort of feel like the big sister version of the CX4. Much nicer than the older Steyr imo, and everything that the Steyr wasn't.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I've thought it would be fun to have a Saiga-12 shotgun.
(the Kalashikov style semi-auto, clip fed shotgun). Great for defense against Zombies

1wrx7

Enlightened
I really wanted one of those Sig 556 models until I held one in my hands. It felt cheap and toyish but that is just my opinion.

I know you said tactical but I have been interested in one of the newer .22 assault rifle platforms for plinking around and some cheap fun shooting. I can't make up my mind on which one I want to purchase though.

I agree with everything in the quote above. The Sig is very nice but not what I was looking for.

As for tactical .22's I would recomend looking into the GSG5 carbine. It's basicly a HK MP5 in .22:naughty: There is a problem though... HK thinks GSG did too good of a job copying the MP5 and they're sueing GSG and the importer. They should be $500-$600 but some places online already have them marked up to $1700-$2000:eek: I called a local gunshop today to see if they had any left in stock, but no luck.... I should have bought one as soon as my co-worker brought his in to show off:ohgeez:If you can find one locally for a good price I would recomend scooping it up.

With the list you provided you have most of the bases covered:thumbsup: Your idea on the SOCOM is rock solid. Sounds like a semi auto in a larger caliber would fill out the collection... and you can find 7.62mm ammo for decent prices right now. I got to play with a SOCOM at one of the local shops... OH BOY:twothumbs Since I have a Garand in .30-06 I decided to pick up a DPMS AR-10 in 7.62mm instead... I can't help it, I love the versitility of the AR platform.

If you like the P90 design look around more for ammo. I've been seeing decent deals on the 5.7mm ammo... at least better deals than I've seen on .223 ammo:shrug:.

Enjoy the new purchace...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Since I have a Garand in .30-06 I decided to pick up a DPMS AR-10 in 7.62mm instead... I can't help it, I love the versitility of the AR platform.

IMHO, the DPMS is the most underrated of the AR platforms. The value to performance ratio is through the roof on the DPMS. This being said by a guy who shoots custom ARs, like JP enterprises. I've also owned Colt, S&W, Bushmaster, Rock River and ASA. You did good with the DPMS man. :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my eye on a Kel-Tec RFB for awhile. Once it has a few more owner reports behind it and the 32" target model becomes available..................

:buddies:

1wrx7

Enlightened
I found a GSG-5 in stock at another shop in my area... I'll be picking it up tomorrow:party: And it is priced properly, not the crazy mark up:thumbsup:

da.gee

Enlightened
:whistle:
Just making holes at high speed.

.308 CETME is a bit rougher than I want to buy right now. Honestly I trick out everything I get but I'd like to start out a bit closer to the finish line this time around. And do you shoot regular 308 out of it or not? I read yes and no.

I thought of it's "roughness" after I posted. It is definitely and old school piece. I believe there have been some concerns about commercial .308 ammo but not 7.62x51 NATO.

Nothing wrong with making holes. Hours of entertainment! And of course YOU would trick it out. This is fun spending your money. :devil:

1wrx7

Enlightened
This is fun spending your money. :devil:

Let's change your budget a bit:naughty: and throw out the name Barrett:devil: Maybe something in .50BMG:whistle: The arms in your avatar should be able to handle the weight of that beast. The good gunshop right in my area always has one sitting out on the counter for everyone to drool over. You know you want one Sarge:poke:

OK back on topic... I've wondered about the Saiga 12ga too. There used to be another shotgun, I think it was called the USA12. It looked like an AR, but chambered for 12ga:eek: The Saiga seems to be the only option for magazine fed shotguns these days. I've never shot one so I have no real opinion on them... except I love the concept:thumbsup:

I can't wait to see what you end up with. I'm also having a hard time believing it will take 8mo. to get a SOCOM in stock:shrug: Are there any other shops who may have other dealer contacts you haven't tried yet?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:D
Well as long as it's under 300 pounds I guess I could shoulder it...............

Who's chipping in on the price difference?

KD5XB

Enlightened
I remember reading about an AR-15 or M-16 or something, that was chambered for either .243 or .308 -- but that was 30+ years ago. I GUESS they got it built -- might be an interesting thing to shoot.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I can't wait to see what you end up with. I'm also having a hard time believing it will take 8mo. to get a SOCOM in stock:shrug:
Oh I'm sure it was just his way of pushing me to buy something he already had in stock.

Still looking..........................

1wrx7

Enlightened
Oh I'm sure it was just his way of pushing me to buy something he already had in stock.

Still looking..........................

I meant to check if the shop I want to yesterday had any SOCOM's in stock:ohgeez: The place was packed and we were already running late and I forgot. I did a quick check online and they do seem to be out of stock everywhere, maybe the guy is telling the truth:sigh: Looking at them again today online reminded me what a nice package the SOCOM's are. I hope you can find one. On the other hand you could pick up both of these under budget and still have money left for ammo. Granted they won't compare if you really want the SOCOM

007-5.jpg

DPMS LR308AP4 and a GSG-5 carbine. Note, the DPMS doesn't come with the scope or mount, but it does come with a detatchable rear sight.