Importing products into Canada from USA?

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I just couldn't figure out where to put it.

I'm interested in buying stuff online from the States but I'm not too sure on the whole procedure and extra fees I have to pay.

I've ordered some small things and I think if its value is under 20CAD or if it's a "gift" valued under 60CAD then it's exempt from taxes. I've also heard there's a $5 fee for Canada Post for something. Could anyone clarify on the whole process?

Are there any Canadian members here that could provide a little insight on how importing works? Such as fees, times, forms, etc.

Thanks,
Daniel

Catman10

Enlightened
I've had a variety of experiences, from paying %20 customs fees (only once) to paying nothing. Most of the time it has been nothing, but occasionally what they will do is charge you GST, as well as a $5 handling fee. I know this isn't a concrete answer, but I an't seem to figure it out either. Hope this helps.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Catman, when you paid that 20% customs fee, can you remember the value of the stuff you ordered?

I found a good deal on some batteries and I just want to know how badly i'll get hit with fees/tax for a $20USD item.

Thanks,
Daniel

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've brought in stuff from the US many times. If the value is low ($20.00 seems to be about right), it often comes straight to my mailbox w/o cost. If the value is higher, it may be noticed by the Customs people, and so you'll have to pay GST and PST on it. Sometimes they charge GST and PST on the $20.00 if they notice it. If you get charged the taxes, Canada Post charges you a $5.00 handling fee to collect the money, so you pay the taxes plus the $5.00 fee. Best idea is to keep the declared value low if possible, so if you pay taxes, it's on that amount.

OTOH, one time Customs opened my package, then randomly decided to charge the taxes on $50.00 Cdn, rather than on the $30.00 ($20.00US =$30.00 Cdn) they should have charged, based on the declared value. I don't know how they came up with that value... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

YMMV. It always does.

Catman10

Enlightened
I'm not sure if %20 is the exact amount, but it was a fair bit and was probably around that. The stuff I got was a gift, and was probably around 65$ US. I would bet you would have to pay nothing, or around $7 CAD for your batteries.
Box of 12 surefires?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys!

Actually I'm looking at a set of 8 green label Nimh Cs I've found for 25 bucks. The shippings around 15 or so but overall, it works out okay. Hopefully I can get it w/o duties/taxes. Maybe I should declare it as a gift. Hopefully they won't check up on that.

By the way, are there any restrictions on importing batteries? Like do I need special documentation?

-Daniel

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
I would also avoid using UPS ground as a shipping option to Canada. They charge a ridiculous "brokerage fee" for handling the customs clearing for the package. I once had to pay a $30 brokerage fee on a $60 item!

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same experience with UPS. If you can, always get small purchases sent by USPS Airmail Letter Post. Cheapest way to send stuff, and so far, has been quite reliable. It can be cheaper than sending to US addresses... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. So far everything I've gotten is through USPS Airmail Letter Post and it's fairly cheap and usually gets here within 5 days to a week. No custom/duty/tax charges so far (but all of the items have been faily low cost anyways). These batteries will probably be the most expensive items I will purchase since becoming a flashaholic.
I'm just wondering if they're any restrictions and all. You know...the bureaucratic BS about batteries containing corrosive materials which will completely slow down my shipment and be a PITA?