My father will pass away shortly from cancer.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Wow. I'm so sorry to hear this. You and your dad have the comfort of being loving father and son. You're doing the right thing; BE THERE for your father at the end of his life. I know his passing will make things more difficult for the rest of the family, but the focus now should be on him.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I think your father's spirit lives on in you, today and every day, and you honor him every day he is alive and with you. I know a little, my father has been in ill health for several years, and every turn is heartwrenching, the ups and downs too much to bear sometimes. Prayers sent for your father and your whole family in this difficult time. Thank you for sharing your story and your pain.
daloosh

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps that was the best thing you could have done, to let him be at peace when the time does come. Our thoughts and sympathies are with you and yours during this time of crisis.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Flash,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Cancer is a terrible disease. About ten years ago my wifes father suffered a similar battle with cancer. I know what you are going through and I know how much it can hurt. Keep up your strength. I will keep you in our prayers.

wpowell

Newly Enlightened
Our prayers go out to you and yours, we lost a brother at age 30 to cancer. The conversation you had was one that takes courage and is the toughest thing to do...you have my respect. For someone to get to make choices and have dignity in it means alot. We hope for the best for your family.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
At times like this words seemingly don't mean very much but the depth and compassion from each of you shows that it really does matter.

I am grateful for your kind words and prayers of comfort and understanding. Thank you very much.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been there, done that.
I NEVER get used to hearing/dealing with this kind of thing.

It always hurts.

Prayers and good thoughts sent your way...hang in there.

Bob

greenLED

Flashaholic
I know how hard it is to loose one's father. I also had tears in my eyes after reading your post. My prayers and blessings are with you, your family, and your father.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very sorry to hear this. I will pray for your family and you. Hang in there and remember that we are all here for you.

Zackerty

Enlightened
Jeff,
My thoughts are with you and yours at this time.

My Dad might have what your Dad has. He is 73, high blood pressure, and he is still undergoing tests, for a bleeding bladder. He is strong mentally and physically now, but is slowly being affected by the problem.

I have said goodbye to too many people inmy life, but spend as much time as you can with your Dad, you will not regret it!

Stuart

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in your shoes 17 years ago and I can tell you that time will pass and bring some relief to the pain that you are going through. Your father's courage will always be an inspiration to you. God bless you, your father and your family.

A few things I learned:

Hospice provides compassionate support for families in your situation.

Beginning the funural planning prior to your father's death will help tremendously. It may sound insensitive to think of that while your father is still alive, but since he knows he's dying, he and your mother are probably secretly thinking about it anyway. Might as well bring it out in the open. He may have some preferences and it may be of some comfort to him to make them known and to know that you care what they are. And your mother won't be in any condition to handle the arrangements alone in her grief, so please consider carrying some of that burden. By the way, "pre-need" prices are half of the prices quoted to those who approach the funeral home after the loved one has passed. If your father is anything like mine, he wouldn't want to throw his money away even after he can no longer spend it.

If there is anything left that you want to say to your father, don't wait. He may become unresponsive at any time and without much warning. I wish I had thanked my Dad for being a terrific father and for all the sacrifices he made for us.

Your father wants to leave his affairs in order. Someone should gather any insurance policies, will, retirement accounts, safe deposit boxes, obscure financial assets, etc. Your father may like knowing that this is in place. The insurance policies, etc. will require a submission of a death certificate for settlement, so someone has to handle that in the difficult days after he passes.

If your father is of significant wealth, there are some estate planning steps that can be put in place both before and after his death that you should consider. A certain amount of tax-free gifting can be executed prior to his death and a portion of his assets can go into trust after his death as an additional tool to help with estate taxes.

Good luck and hang in there. My heart goes out to you.

LightChucker

Enlightened
Jeff, tears are running down my face too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have lost both of my parents, all of my grandparents, and all of my aunts and uncles. Just like with your dad, they all suffered from one thing or another to the end. More than their death, I grieve for their pain and suffering.

God knows my heart better than I do. He knows how I struggle with this aspect of our life cycle. Even though I hate the loss of those we love, even more, I hate the thought of their pain and suffering.

I pray that God allows you and your father to enjoy some time before he dies when there is no pain to come between you.

Jeff, prepare your heart - you are going to be tempted to blame God for this - don't you do it! Remember that God had to stand by and watch His own son suffer for us.

I have probably said too much already, but I pray that God gives you and your dad peace and comfort.

(Ya know, we need a "praying" imodicon.)

Chuck

Topper

Flashaholic*
I just deleted my post that took me awhile to compose. I will keep this short. You have people here that will listen.
You have heard good advice. Some as I, have shed tears with you.
If you need us we are here for you. My prayers for you and your loved ones.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuelblender

Enlightened
Flashlightboy,

I feel your pain; my dad passed away from cancer in 1991 and I miss him more with each passing day, but time does ease my pain and I hope it will for you too.

I'll keep you all in my prayers.