My father will pass away shortly from cancer.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Jeff:

Reading about your Dad has brought back memories of my Father's passing. Still brings tears to my eyes. I have been lucky, because he visits me in my dreams. Part of me tells me they are just dreams, but they are so vivid and real. We have even hugged. We take walks and have long discussions. Guess what I'm trying to say is, your Father will always be with you. When you are feeling your worst, remember, he is still with you and loves you dearly.

oldgrandpajack

DarkLight

Enlightened
tough to say anything to someone in this situation, Your father sounds quite courageous in his battle.
I pray for peace for both of you, May his pain be forgotten in the Blessed Hope of redemption. The Good Lord can ease any burden if you place your trust in Him.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Jeff, your father is a most courageous man. Be at peace knowing your father will go on to a better place. My prayers go out to you and your family. Amen.

BVH

Flashaholic
Jeff, my dad and I were best friends. When he passed, it was thee most difficult time in my life. That was 15 years ago and it still hurts. The hurt does subside somewhat over time. What keeps me going is that I know I will see him again in the future.

Amorphous

Enlightened
Jeff,

Your words of love and compassion truly irradiate character. Be strong, and be that guiding light for the rest of the family, and your mother.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Do check out Alex Chiu's Eternal Life Ring. This ring has US patent. http://www.alexchiu.com/

Also, do watch out for your own health and the health of the rest of the family in this difficult time.

Amorphous

Jeff, I know what you are going through and how difficult it is. I'm the oldest child, too, and my father died from esophageal cancer two years ago. I lost my dad and my hero all in one, and my kids lost a grandfather. I know how much your dad means to you and he knows how you feel. You have been a good and loving son, the best he could have ever hoped for. He's proud of you, so proud of you that words can't describe. Your mere presence is all he wants at this point. Stay with him as long as you can. Believe me, he knows you love him. Feel free to tell him anything and everything, tell him you love him (I didn't say "I love you Dad" enough when my dad was healthy, so I was not about to let the opportunity slip while he was ill). Reassure him that you'll be there to take care of the family. Hold his hand. Be as strong as you can. Your friends and family will be your crutches. Use us. We feel for you. Our prayers are with you Jeff.

scuba

Enlightened
Jeff,
I lost my mother last year after a long and painful deisease and I know what you're going through. Stay with him and those are moments that you'll cherish later, as painful as they are.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff, I'm proud to be part of this CPF family, that was important enough to you to share such personal trials with. Your post was another reminder for me to appreciate my family and life every day because often I don't realize how good I've got it.

Although it was a shock to lose my father, unexpectedly and suddenly, when I was 16, it was easier than the way cancer slowly tortures our loved ones to death.

My heart goes out to you. May peace find you again.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Chuck,

Thank you for asking.

He's in the hospital where he wishes to stay until he passes. My parents have a little bit of land and have lived on it for almost 40 years. His blood and sweat are here and I asked if he wanted me to bring him home to pass. He said he didn't because he thought it would be too difficult for my mother to sleep in the same bed that he died in. Noble to the end.

He's on a morphine drip but only a small amount along with Oxycontin and a morphine patch. He isn't on oxygen all the time but he's refusing to eat. That damn morphine is a blessing and a curse. You want to talk with him and have as many good conversations while you can but he'd have to be in great pain and so I hold his hand and have one way conversations with him. He squeezes back and holds tight because he knows.

The drugs make him woozy and he can talk for a minute at most before he goes to sleep. He's mind is strong and he's trying to fight through it but he simply can't.

I've been to the mortuary and selected the casket for his burial. Midnight Blue. I'll take a suit and tie along with some pictures for display at the viewing to the mortuary tomorrow. Flowers have to selected and because he's proud of his military service we're having a lot of red, white and blue.

The cycle is almost over and a great man is about to leave forever. It'll be in a few days.

Jeff, I hope you had a chance to read my comments earlier. I so feel for you, having been in that very position two years ago. You're doing all the right things. Darkcobra is right: our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
arewethereyetdad,

Yes, I read your post several times and your thoughts are comforting. You seem to be a lot like me in handling this evil demon. Thank you.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry man....that can be tough. My heart is with you and your dad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

MikeF

Enlightened
I have tried writing this several times, and I don't know what to say other than, know there are many people praying for your father and your family!
Mike

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Uncle left a few days ago due to lung cancer with the memorial service for me to attend in about a week.
The suffering you have described is very similar.
I am so sorry you are having to see this unfold.
My Father didn't even let me know until 4 days ago how close to the end my uncle was.
2 days ago before It fully sank in, he had gone.

There is no graemlin for prayer sent.
But here goes anyway : prayersent :

Stephen

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Jeff,
My thought are with you. Being your Dad is proud of his service (good for him - he should be) you probably want to contact the service he was in - they will do their best to send an honor guard to the wake and funeral. These days you are as likely to get a recorded taps as live, but...

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
KC,

Yes, we will have a military burial at the local Federal Cemetary the morning after the viewing. They will have the honor guard, 21 gun salute and the traditional presentation of the flag to my mom. She's not looking forward to it.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You and your family are handling this with sensitivity and strength.
Stomach cancer got my grandmother 2 years ago. She also had a rare blood cancer for many years but that just never got her.
My thoughts are with you.