Is it me or is the Ipad one of the most frustrating things apple has invented?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the anti-Apple folks heheh.

ive had macbooks, 4 ipods (ipod video, ipod touch no longer working).

i guess their products arent for me. i dont like using them, and refuse to buy anymore of their products. i feel lot of their stuff is just a gimmick.

im getting a new phone contract soon, and have the option for the iphone, but im opting for an android instead.

300winmag

Enlightened
Just the sort of rant we don't need in this thread. Deleted - Norm I do not know a single person who owns an iphone that does not have a problem....... after listing to me tell them to switch to android for months they finally do and they wish they did it sooner. Ah this topic gets by blood pumping, I'm going to the kitchen to destroy an apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

bansuri

Enlightened
Love my iPad, if you can't get it worked out you can sell it on ebay. Sold my iPad for $25 less than I bought it for, (included a case), and got an iPad 2.
Wife and I have had each generation of iPhone and never had any problems. Well, I kept it in my shirt pocket and my son swiped his arm up and knocked it toilet, so that was a problem. We always sold them for what we paid for them after our contract was up and just got a new model.
After a degree in programming (mostly MS stuff), MS certification, and dozens of PCs I find my Apple equipment to be absolutely wonderful. Got my Mini almost 3 years ago.
It IS a different approach though, and if you want to hook up a device to multiple computers and grab content like that then maybe another tablet would be best.
For the full manual open Safari, click on the bookmarks icon and you'll see "iPad User's Guide". Click that and you will have the searchable full version of the manual.
I often wonder if Apple devices on Windows isn't part of the problem. Once it's set up on my Mac Mini it will sync Music, Books, Videos, Apps, Notes, Contacts, and more with no issues. iTunes handles all this, is iTunes on Windows the problem? Understanding iTunes is a key part of managing an iPad, however, as someone mentioned earlier, that will be changing soon with IOS 5 and iCloud.
THAT will be great for users that don't want to mess with iTunes on their PC.
As a previously long-time Palm user, (I miss my stylus input!), I can say that syncing is often not intuitive and managing multiple versions of data in different locations can cause users problems.
These threads remind me of product reviews on Amazon, WORST PRODUCT EVER!!!/BEST PRODUCT EVER!!! Everyone has different experiences with stuff.

Last edited:

cdrake261

Enlightened
Just the sort of rant we don't need in this thread. Deleted - Norm I do not know a single person who owns an iphone that does not have a problem....... after listing to me tell them to switch to android for months they finally do and they wish they did it sooner. Ah this topic gets by blood pumping, I'm going to the kitchen to destroy an apple.

Well then, allow me to introduce myself....my name is Caleb and I own an iPhone 4 and an iPad. Both are wonderful devices and I have absolutely no problem with them.

Seriously though, I bought the original droid and right before the warranty went out, my droid became possessed(literally). Got a warranty replacement....awesome! 7 or 8 months later, it did the same thing again to my replacement phone so I went out and got my iphone. My iPhone doesn't hang up on me, doesn't get hot, and doesn't even so much as to bog down either. This is coming from a open source kind of guy, so take it for what it's worth...either you like it or you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Looks like it's time for a reminder - Let's not turn this into an TRASH APPLE THREAD. - Norm

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Take a minute to consider this; you go back in time and show a much younger version of yourself an iPad and Android tablet - your younger self is stunned at the supercomputer-like power of the small device, how it has abilities beyond anything you'd seen in a movie. You show off some of the apps to your younger self, then explain what an app is, explain what wifi is, explain what the Internet is, etc. Then you throw in, "each of these devices has a loyal following and the two factions argue and battle one another constantly." Would that make sense to your younger self? That these future people that have supercomputers in their laps and pockets would argue about it?

And for the record, I own an iPad and a Droid X phone. I saved money on this iPad by getting the wifi-only version; I use the tethering feature of the Droid phone to use the iPad elsewhere - they work together!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Take a minute to consider this; you go back in time and show a much younger version of yourself an iPad and Android tablet - your younger self is stunned at the supercomputer-like power of the small device, how it has abilities beyond anything you'd seen in a movie. You show off some of the apps to your younger self, then explain what an app is, explain what wifi is, explain what the Internet is, etc. Then you throw in, "each of these devices has a loyal following and the two factions argue and battle one another constantly." Would that make sense to your younger self? That these future people that have supercomputers in their laps and pockets would argue about it?

You made me think, my first computer was a TRS-80 4K model 1, it didn't even have a line editor in its Basic and only tape storage, I remember when I started working for Commodore I was shocked at the startling colour and sound of the Commodore 64.
Now I'm feeling old. We sure have come a long way in the last 30 years.
Norm

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

After seeing these marvelous devices, I would have asked "where do I feed in my stack of punch cards that have my Fortran program?" :)

I might also be happy/disappointed that humans are still humans, and will argue about just about anything.
My preference is for being able to manage my files myself, so I've avoided the iTunes thing. I did use Macs at work back in the late 80's, and really liked the standardized interface for the programs. Anymore, I tend to follow at the trailing edge of technology, so I just sit back and watch others discuss these sorts of issues.

Steve K.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other evening I watched an old 2004 episode of Star Trek: Enterprise and found it amusing to see that the tablet computers the crew members were using seemed so clunky. In one scene Commander T'Pol is seen entering commands into a rather thick glowing screened tablet and the interface made it look like she was operating a cash register.

As a kid growing up watching crew members on Star Trek using tablet computers my younger self wished that I might have one someday and here we are with iPads and Androids that are sleeker than anything in those old episodes. COOL!

Say what you will for or against Apple but the fact is that they were the first to bring an advanced touch screen phone and tablet computer to the market and they have been widely copied. (like the iPod) My theory is that Steve Jobs is an extraterrestrial.

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually some of old episodes of TNG featured interfaces very Mac-like, and Enterprise was likely an attempt to look 'retro' and older tech. In the first Tron movie Dillinger logs into a touch interface much like a big iPad.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually some of old episodes of TNG featured interfaces very Mac-like, and Enterprise was likely an attempt to look 'retro' and older tech. In the first Tron movie Dillinger logs into a touch interface much like a big iPad.

You're probably right about the older tech "retro" look Blasterman, but then again Star Trek: Enterprise is set in the year 2151 (pilot episode) so "retro" is a relative thing when compared to an iPad here in 2011. :)

As I recall there have been a number of gesture and touch interfaces in TV & the movies over the years. It's cool to really have them now. I remember reading about how Spielberg consulted with futurists when making Minority Report and this resulted in the gesture interface Tom Cruise uses in the movie. Interestingly, this type of gesture non-touch interface has been around since 1928 in Leon Theramin's famous electronic musical instrument and is now entering computer interfaces in the form of Kinect for Xbox 360.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my ipad. I have the first Generation, just bought my wife the second.
Now I have set up IP4 up as a hotspot, so I can use my ipad anywhere my phone works. My eyes are too old to see the IP4 properly, so the ipad is perfect.
I use it for surfing, music, pix, youtube, email ( I have 4 accounts synced).
With our music, we each ( wife, me, daughter), have our own playlists. When we add music to the computer , we simply add the track to the respective playlist, sync & were done. Soon this will be via Cloud computing so life is getting easier.
My wifes main use is as an ebook. She reads before bed, so no furhter need for her headlight ( sigh), and she gets magazines and books at a touch of a button. No more wasted paper.
Thinking of getting daughter one too, so we can Facetime when she's off to University in 3 weeks.

sassaquin

Enlightened
In the Spring of 2010, I bought a 1st generation ipad and it has changed my life. Since I am disabled from chronic nerve pain, I spend most of my day laying bed. I cannot sit for more than a few minutes at a time which prevents me from using a computer. Even using a laptop computer is out of question as I am unable to type laying on my back, but by proping my ipad (in its stand) up on my belly, the keyboard is upright and I can type. My ipad allows me to connect to the outside world through the internet, play games, email my family, buy ebooks and even do my banking from my bed. If not for my ipad, I never would have discovered CPF and its great community of flashaholics. I cannot overstate how much the ipad has changed my life and can't imagine life without it. Hands down the best thing I have ever owned.:thumbsup:

gorn

Enlightened
I agree that syncing the iPad is a pain. iTunes has to be the worst program I have ever had to fight with. That aside, I really like my iPad and my Wife likes her iPad2. We use them a couple of hours a day for various thing. My 2 year old grandson came down from Alaska to visit last month. It was amazing to watch him work the iPad. He has an iTouch at home so he has been exposed to the OS. He has no problem running the interactive books we got for him or even playing angry birds. I also have an Acer android tablet. It is a nice tablet but I haven't spent the time with it to get used to android.

uknewbie

Banned
Looks like it's time for a reminder - Let's not turn this into an TRASH APPLE THREAD. - Norm

Why not?

There have been several post saying nothing more than Apple are great, or I love my Ipad etc, so why gag people who want to say they do not love Apple or it's products?

You have not edited any of the "let's praise Apple" posts!

Empath

Flashaholic
Uknewbie, your post added nothing to the discussion of the thread's topic, but instead baited the moderator for his actions. Your displeasure with the way we work is noted, but your disregard for us and our rules, particularly rules 4 and 8, have merited three days suspension.

Last edited:

Latest posts